General Yuzuru Chat

Oh I commented on PH about his eyes in Phantom (the 2022 Yuzuru I mean) when the programme was on - glad someone posted this on twitter!

Honestly it gave me chills to see those intense eyes ....  :hachimaki:

27 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Oh I commented on PH about his eyes in Phantom (the 2022 Yuzuru I mean) when the programme was on - glad someone posted this on twitter!

Honestly it gave me chills to see those intense eyes ....  :hachimaki:

I think the intense moments are my favourites- like the killer glare at the end of NHK 2015 Chopin.  Gets me every time.  I am currently watching the last two groups of 2012 WC in Nice.  Watched Kozuka, Ten, Abbott and the man himself so far - baby Romeo.  All I can say is standards have plummeted.

Edit: re reading this as posted I’m beginning to sound like A Real Skating Fan from a Proper (NA) Forum rather than a fanyu - the horror!!!!!:smiley-shocked032:

31 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I think the intense moments are my favourites- like the killer glare at the end of NHK 2015 Chopin.  Gets me every time.  I am currently watching the last two groups of 2012 WC in Nice.  Watched Kozuka, Ten, Abbott and the man himself so far - baby Romeo.  All I can say is standards have plummeted.

Edit: re reading this as posted I’m beginning to sound like A Real Skating Fan from a Proper (NA) Forum rather than a fanyu - the horror!!!!!:smiley-shocked032:

We are real FS fans!! I for one am from the Curry, Cousins, Torvill and Dean fan era. As a Brit, would not join a NA forum and glad to say, they most likely would not want me. 

Horror indeed :witch:

I got it! I've finally caught up! :dancingpooh:

I want to thank everyone for those who have shared videos and/or translations. I also want to thank you for sharing your feelings in all this whirlwind.

I can't wait to meet the professional athlete Yuzuru Hanyu, although I know we will still need to be patience. For now, waiting to get the always wonderful full translations from the Axel with Wings team.

And while we wait, I want to encourage you, Satellites, to participate in the project Message to Yuzu photobook (here the thread)

Let's send Yuzu our feelings! :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

6 minutes ago, Perelandra said:

We are real FS fans!! I for one am from the Curry, Cousins, Torvill and Dean fan era. As a Brit, would not join a NA forum and glad to say, they most likely would not want me. 

Horror indeed :witch:

Then we are roughly contemporaries- I rated my male relatives after John Curry’s miraculous season by their reactions to the media reporting at the time.  My grandfather was wonderful - he was a Fred Astaire fan from the 20s so he appreciated good moves - uncles and cousins less so.  Least said about my late father the better tbh.  It was an extremely useful learning experience.

2 hours ago, Pammi said:

I haven't seen this posted on the planet, apologies if it has been. 

In the comments some question Shizuka's silence, but I accept as a JSF official she is not in the easiest position - the comments also remind twitter users that she defended Yuzu when she was recently asked if Yuzu "retired because of younger players coming through" - she said Yuzu doesn't focus on such things iirc.

Also I notice Yuzuru himself doesn't agree (or disagree!) directly with what Shuzo, Nobu and Takahashi are saying.

I always thought at worst this jump was a q and that the tech panel should have given that as skaters should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I love his expressions through this video. A bit sceptical/surprised:yuzususpect:, then proud and a "you see this! Try doing it that way everyone!":hachimaki:

and then back to a nearly shy "hai":pouty:.

15 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Then we are roughly contemporaries- I rated my male relatives after John Curry’s miraculous season by their reactions to the media reporting at the time.  My grandfather was wonderful - he was a Fred Astaire fan from the 20s so he appreciated good moves - uncles and cousins less so.  Least said about my late father the better tbh.  It was an extremely useful learning experience.

My father, father and uncles came to all our ballet and drama performances if they could and my father organised all of our theatre outings, incl. the time we saw Nureyev. I think they would have recognised the genius of Yuzu, my mother and grandmother would have adored him. Grands both admired Curry and parents like Cousins and T&D

11 hours ago, Ulrinis said:

Sorry in case similar thoughts have already been discussed meanwhile. Having been away for a few weeks I’m catching up  browsing through 100 (or so) pages. Reading this from today’s perspective, could we have guessed? Yuzu asked Javier how life changed, becoming a professional skater. And he admitted that he had liked shows more than competitions which I personally wouldn’t have believed. I always thought Yuzu loved competing.

Yuzu has always loved competing and still does, but he also expected to be judged fairly. He was sick and tired of being underscored and having the rules changed specifically to undermine him and boost his rivals. He knew that things were not right when he had nearly perfect scores, particularly in his PCS, at the 2015 GPF and then found his scores dropping in subsequent competitions when he was actually improving his technicality and artistry. This was the only logical decision he could have made if he wanted to retain his sanity and dignity. To continue competing in the toxic world of ISU with everything stacked against him and with no backup by the JSF would have been the end of Yuzuru Hanyu. Now he is his own man and free to take his skating to a much higher plane. He is going to have the last laugh with ISU and JSF. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

10 hours ago, Ulrinis said:

What was happening there? My guess is: If Yuzu hadn’t already decided to go pro, this might have caused him to stop competing. Is it really possible that he wasn’t even invited as no. 14? The reigning Japanese champion! Not just some national champion but champion of the nation with the now (after BC’s retirement) most successful skaters worldwide! Yuzu won Nationals repeatedly, beating these skaters! 

If Yuzu wanted to compete in the GP series, he would have been invited no question. It was his decision to leave the ISU dog and pony show.

26 minutes ago, TokyoDream said:

Sorry... What's NA? 

North America.  Those of us who began this journey before the planet opened suffered a good deal from …. let’s call it the entitled attitude of certain US and Canadian Uber fans.  

I’ve just finished watching 2012 worlds from Kozuka on (it was a Japanese tv coverage).  Yuzuru was of course amazing, I’ve watched R&J1 more times than I care to remember in isolation but it was very interesting to see the embryo Fernandez and Ten, Chan in his considerable pomp, Takahashi also at his zenith ( though I can’t find him as alluring as his fans do, Blues for Klook was amazing), Jouberts matrix after loving Kaori’s version ( I like hers better)but also Abbott, Kozuka, Brezina, Amodio!  I had forgotten Amodio - he’s a coach now I believe and his style would suit Donovan Carrillo so well if the stars aligned right for them.  I noticed one thing they all had - they used their knees, all the time, take off, landing, steps, crossovers whatever- all of them had bendy knees , unlike Lysacek in that clip I posted recently or NC.  Must be a thing with certain US coaches.

Edit : had also forgotten how bizarre Mozorov was as a coach - practically chewing the edge of the boards - Al Pacino would be proud.  V unsettling to watch.