General Yuzuru Chat

On 7/4/2022 at 6:57 PM, Perelandra said:

Browsing around internet and trying to fin out what else is going on with Grand Prix

Yuzu is currently ranked 14th in World standings, ISU results by points from recent season and 70% of points from previous season

Came across this info from Inside Figure Skating recently about world rankings. 

Top 12 by World Ranking automatically invited to participate in Grand Prix series, other skaters invited depending on other criteria, like threshold competition scores and previous form

Important to consider:

Nathan Chen ranked 2, is withdrawing from competition this season

Russian skaters are still barred from international competition, due to external events. One Russian skater Evgeni Semenienko is ranked 11, above Yuzu

Junior skaters like Ilia M, moving into senior comp likely to be invited and probably USFS will push for this because Nathan and Vincent are now spending time on University studies

Due to 2 competitors unable to compete from top 14, this means Yuzu effectively moves into top 12. Of the other skaters ranked above Yuzu, Not heard if any other retirements have been announced. Jason Brown ranked 5th and Keegan Messing 8th are about the same age as Yuzu

What was happening there? My guess is: If Yuzu hadn’t already decided to go pro, this might have caused him to stop competing. Is it really possible that he wasn’t even invited as no. 14? The reigning Japanese champion! Not just some national champion but champion of the nation with the now (after BC’s retirement) most successful skaters worldwide! Yuzu won Nationals repeatedly, beating these skaters! 

2 hours ago, LiaRy said:

It's amazing how many new fans Yuzu attracts and the fact that he has chosen to become pro and people who now discover him don't say "Oh, then it's not worth following him anymore", but they are curious to see with what Yuzu comes up next - that speaks volumes about the kind of presence he has on and off the ice. To me it's impressive the impact he has on people like you who had no idea of what the sport is about prior to seeing Yuzu.

I don't remember who posted, but there was a tweet from a Chinese Fanyu that said something like "We can now all say (old and new fans) that we have known Yuzu from the beginning" - meaning that his pro athlete career is just starting and that's a new start for us, too.

Because you mentioned his fans in your post:

Love from China :heartpound:

[NEWS]

"We can now all say (old and new fans) that we have known Yuzu from the beginning" - meaning that his pro athlete career is just starting and that's a new start for us, too.

:nod2:

...and I am looking forward to accompany him also in his new chapter.:tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

7 hours ago, EisElle said:

I mean a further subfolder.

currently the subforlder is just "2022 media appearances", and is gonna have every non-competition non-summericeshows media appearance form January to december 2022.

but IMO there could be a dedicated "media appearances about Yuzuru announcing to go pro-athlete" subfoder too. I don't see such a folder yet? Am I missing somehting? I'm working on little sleeep here XD

I created one subforum so that it's easier to upload videos here and find them later:

https://planethanyu.com/video/browse/126-2022-media-appearances-about-yuzurus-announcement-to-go-professional/

9 hours ago, EisElle said:

Would it be possible to have a thread only compiling the news from this week? Even just as a copy-paste of the related section in the News&Updates thread.

When we had Media Day, there was a dedicated thread where people coul go and read the discussion.

Now we have the media compilations, yes, but still, if in the future someone wants to go and relieve this fundamental week, it would be easier if there was at least one dedicated thread where to start, even just containing links

Yes, we can compile all the news from this week and quote them to a thread in Compilations. I think it's better if the whole discussion since Monday remains in General Yuzu Chat though, beacuse this is where people like to discuss things and it's not necessary to move everything to a separate thread.

1 hour ago, yuzuonice said:

yeah, a second subfolder I think is a good idea too. @yuzuangel could you please make one? I don't think I have the mod rights to do that :D 

As for compilations, we already have these categories for Translations and Compilations, so I'd suggest if we make a new thread for Yuzuru's Statement of Determination, we make it in here:

a1ZVn6K.png

I can make the thread in Compilations., quoting all the news thread. And we can make a separate thread later when all the translations will be available.

It'd be nice to update the senior level competitions thread which kaeryth opened, only the 2021/2022 season is missing. :thumbsup:

53 minutes ago, LiaRy said:

@Fita Your dedication is astounding. I became a fan of Yuzu's shortly before the Beijing Team Event happened, so I had about a week to cram as much info as possible about Yuzu into my mind. I tried later on to read the general threat from start to finish, I couldn't do it, waaay too much stuff and too many feelings. You have my admiration!

It's amazing how many new fans Yuzu attracts and the fact that he has chosen to become pro and people who now discover him don't say "Oh, then it's not worth following him anymore", but they are curious to see with what Yuzu comes up next - that speaks volumes about the kind of presence he has on and off the ice. To me it's impressive the impact he has on people like you who had no idea of what the sport is about prior to seeing Yuzu.

I don't remember who posted, but there was a tweet from a Chinese Fanyu that said something like "We can now all say (old and new fans) that we have known Yuzu from the beginning" - meaning that his pro athlete career is just starting and that's a new start for us, too.

15 minutes ago, YuzuSkating_IsTheTruth said:

@Fita, welcome to the planet! I'm amazed at your commitment to reading all the posts on the General Chat thread. I admit I have to skip many of them, especially the ones before I joined the planet. I take my hats off to you! Enjoy your stay here.

Thank you! Honestly I am surprised too. But you guys are fun, and it is such interesting read of such interesting young man, so i enjoyed the reading :D (i skipped parts too! especially when there was heated fight or, haha, BV/jump discussion...it flies through my head so better skip them altogether)

And yes it is interesting what Hanyu will do next, now that he is going pro! I just wish they to be kinder to international fans.... but I never try streaming ice shows nor tv shows, this would be new experience too for me....

45 minutes ago, Ulrinis said:

Sorry in case similar thoughts have already been discussed meanwhile. Having been away for a few weeks I’m catching up  browsing through 100 (or so) pages. Reading this from today’s perspective, could we have guessed? Yuzu asked Javier how life changed, becoming a professional skater. And he admitted that he had liked shows more than competitions which I personally wouldn’t have believed. I always thought Yuzu loved competing.

Wow I think i had read snippets about this, but this is my first time reading the full version of the interview. Yes, it is quite interesting, i thought Hanyu would like competition more than shows! And he gave quite a thought about that, i am impressed (lol Fernandez was surprised too). But he always loves showing off, like how he acted in sendai parade, and always thoughtful to fans/audience.

(altho to be honest, i don't like raison..................)

Maybe the 'competitive spirit' I saw on Hanyu in recent news is limited to competing with himself (like 4A, some new elements, etc).

I found a bit old tweet on Yuzuru's skating boots while I was looking for the article I wanted to refer.

This seems to be an interview at the time of public practice in Toronto.

Unfortunately, I have not found the relevant article yet.

4 years !!  Incredible, nothing but incredible :tumblr_m9gck4P2Jf1qzckow:

It’s so nice to see new Fanyus here. I myself came from GS and saw how Planet Hanyu was formed from there. I’ve mostly stayed on Twitter and Tumblr but still lurked here from time to time. It’s just amazing how the forum grew into what we have now with so many available videos from the past archived and translated by hardworking Fanyus that both older and newer fanyus can access. I do wish I joined sooner but it was a great time to join this year. Dealing with the series of events this week was less lonely because we were all able to discuss and share our feelings here. 

help me understand this. It is actually the first time Yuzuru openly criticises the ISU and the judging system? Is there more english translation of these statements from the interviews? 
Of course we all understood what was going on and how the score was not more reflecting the performance. But to be honest, i sincerely hoped that Yuzuru would quit amateur sports on good terms with ISU, having no resentment towards them. He is one of the most decorated figure skaters of all times and he may find strength to be above it. Thats what i hoped for him. 

5 minutes ago, Terra_degli_angeli said:

help me understand this. It is actually the first time Yuzuru openly criticises the ISU and the judging system? 

I don't think this is an open criticise of ISU and judging system though, he is only talking about his feelings. 

He is very subtle so you have to read between the lines. I can remember interviews with similar feelings after 19SC and 20 4CC. 

3 minutes ago, Terra_degli_angeli said:

help me understand this. It is actually the first time Yuzuru openly criticises the ISU and the judging system? Is there more english translation of these statements from the interviews? 
Of course we all understood what was going on and how the score was not more reflecting the performance. But to be honest, i sincerely hoped that Yuzuru would quit amateur sports on good terms with ISU, having no resentment towards them. He is one of the most decorated figure skaters of all times and he may find strength to be above it. Thats what i hoped for him. 

Spoiler

Considering ISU and JSF were probably among the biggest reasons he wanted to stop competing and he was tormented by their antics for years, it's no wonder he's feeling somewhat resentful.

Personally it makes me happy to see him open up more, and show his vulnerability. It must have been suffocating, not being able to speak up for so many years.

1 hour ago, shina07 said:

It’s so nice to see new Fanyus here. I myself came from GS and saw how Planet Hanyu was formed from there. I’ve mostly stayed on Twitter and Tumblr but still lurked here from time to time. It’s just amazing how the forum grew into what we have now with so many available videos from the past archived and translated by hardworking Fanyus that both older and newer fanyus can access. I do wish I joined sooner but it was a great time to join this year. Dealing with the series of events this week was less lonely because we were all able to discuss and share our feelings here. 

YES it is less lonely. Before i wrote previous great wall of texts, I was thinking it would be nice if i have someone to talk to about this...

And yes I am thankful with all these fan-translation and archieved informations, fruit of Hanyu fans' hardwork, especially for those who can't understand Japanese like me. Thank you so much, everyone!

Back then it was sooooo difficult to follow Japanese artists/singer, it is much easier now XD

______

23 minutes ago, Terra_degli_angeli said:

Now this reminded me of one question i've keeping in my mind - Was there anyone related to Hanyu voiced about the judging system? Maybe someone from TCC? Or someone from JSF?

I remember i read some comments in YT that there is no way Orser/TCC would speak about that because it may harm Hanyu's (and other skaters under TCC) scores, and the one who should voice that is JSF. But maybe someone from this Planet remember differently?

_________

Anyway I found this on twt, partial translation of previous Asahi TV show. Was this shared here before? Interesting to see Hanyu's mind, altho I do strongly wish he can take a rest without feeling guilty ^^" 

14 minutes ago, JanMary said:

I don't think this is an open criticise of ISU and judging system though, he is only talking about his feelings. 

He is very subtle so you have to read between the lines. I can remember interviews with similar feelings after 19SC and 20 4CC. 

the thing is that after translating multiple times from japanese into english and then into my languages all the sense between the lines gets lost...

Dear Fellow Satellites

Hope that everyone is feeling better

It would be a huge understatement to describe the last few days as having been an emotional roller coaster. It was a considerably more drastic one than even seasoned fans have had to experience before. 

Even though a few days have passed, some if us are still reeling from the shock and I myself have been asking should this have been predicted. In some ways yes, timing wise, maybe less so

Some of the interviews have confirmed many fans suspicions that Yuzu was very aware how he was being scored, what that message was all about and how he had at first thought that by trying harder, proving that he could still challenge new quad jumps, he might have turned that tide and received appropriate scores. Sadly, Yuzu has revealed how awful it had felt not to have been rewarded for the efforts and the pain when the realisation came that irrespective of the quality of his performances the scores would never truly reflect the reality. 

Something, that I would like to express is gratitude

First and foremost to Yuzu, for just being the most magnificent competitive skater and all round wonderful, kind hearted, thoughtful person. The gift os his competitive and ice show programmes and all of Yuzu's achievements cannot be erased, because there are records and we, the fans will remember and cherish everything given to us by Yuzu.

Yuzu in his new professional skater self will in time give even more to the FS world and that is something to be thankful for.

Yuzu has a close and loyal circle of support from family, friends fellow skaters, past and currently active, other celebrities, media persons to name a few. There have been notable detractors, but it is useful to know who not to trust as much as who can be counted on.

There will be 'fly by night, fair weather fans who might decide to leave the fandom, that's fine. There are many other staunch supporters who will continue to follow Yuzu and await the announcements about new venture and endeavours that Yuzu will bring soon

Volunteers in Beijing - Yuzu was shown a great deal of kindness and consideration in Beijing. It was a difficult time and Yuzu has now described that he felt under a lot of pressure, was suffering with doubts and suffered another injury. Even if perhaps those volunteers had not been FS fans or Yuzu fans before. The volunteers made Yuzu's time in Beijing something that he can look back on with pride and some contentment

If anyone here on the Planet was a volunteer or knows someone who was, I'd like to tell them thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for taking care of Yuzu, when fans could't travel to support him. The 20,000 postcards shows how much love Yuzu received.

A thousand thanks again 

Thank you for your indulgence

I’m here for this Pooh-san Yuzu reunion.:POOH:

But it’s also interesting to think that he might have bought a home in Toronto which he could very well afford. Just always thought him and his mum was renting. Or poor Pooh-san could be stuck in storage lol 

Lol. I was right!. I always thought the original Pooh was in Toronto and he was. With how swiftly they got back to Japan, and not knowing how long the pandemic would last   ( remember when they said they'd have to close the border for 2 weeks? Lol. Little did they know)  theyve probably left a lot of stuff in Toronto. If you live somewhere for 8 years, you accumulate stuff, and so Pooh was left. At least Pooh is in his native Canada, and not some unknown place... 2nd best, other than being with his partner!

And he'll probably go to TCC, and formally say goodbye and look at his name on the wall That would be his typical behavior, being respectful as he is. 

2 hours ago, shina07 said:

Me as well! I have been an non-member audience for years and finally decided to join the platform and chat with all Fanyus :)) following Yuzu many years and I'm so glad to see many new Fanyu came this year and stay super supportive to Yuzu :YuzuPoohLove: