General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

The thing is: Patrick never pretended to be besties with Yuzu and that's okay. They were rivals, Patrick was salty and didn't make a secret of that. He actually even had some positive character development since then. And I strongly prefer honest rivals with stupid takes over wrong friends.

Footnote: I still hope that this is all just some bad misunderstanding, but a part of me is also realistic.

What I got from various Spanish speakers on Twitter is exactly that, there is no ambiguity, he even demonstrated it with a pair of skate. There seems to be no room for misunderstanding. Disappointed, but what can we do. 

PS: He fuels me to up my game with Spanish. I gotta do it for Yuzu. 

5 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

That is what kills me. It kills me that Yuzu doesn't really seem to have anyone in his corner.

That we know of. He is a very private person and i think we shouldn't assume that we know he has no one by his side.

5 hours ago, wildstrawberry said:

btw if anyone plans to interact with/drag Fernandez on twitter,don't do it in his replies,do it in the quote retweets.  Because i've heard that QRTs don't count for engagement (not absolutely sure if that's true,but why not do it this way in case that's how it is). Ofc that goes not only for Fernandez but also for other vicious clowns (iSu,H*rsh,T$L etc),it's better to hit them where it hurts them the most.

Pls don't go witch hunting guys :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

27 minutes ago, Melodie said:

What I got from various Spanish speakers on Twitter is exactly that, there is no ambiguity, he even demonstrated it with a pair of skate. There seems to be no room for misunderstanding. Disappointed, but what can we do. 

PS: He fuels me to up my game with Spanish. I gotta do it for Yuzu. 

I understood it as him explaining why the hole made him miss the jump using his skate, certainly saying that everyone could use it as an excuse and while it could have been a hole, everyone is playing the same game (of trying to cover up mistakes i guess)

Javi is known for putting his foot on the mouth every now and him and NC are from the same agency so... He's basically saying i'm not saying it wasn't a hole but maybe it wasn't the hole lol

12 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

That we know of. He is a very private person and i think we shouldn't assume that we know he has no one by his side.

I understood it as him explaining why the hole made him miss the jump using his skate, certainly saying that everyone could use it as an excuse and while it could have been a hole, everyone is playing the same game (of trying to cover up mistakes i guess)

Javi is known for putting his foot on the mouth every now and him and NC are from the same agency so... He's basically saying i'm not saying it wasn't a hole but maybe it wasn't the hole lol

Yeah, this is how I took it, as well. What annoyed me was the use of the words "he was complaining" (when has Yuzu ever complained ffs) and "for me, it's a problem, but it's not an excuse." Which has the implication that Yuzu did use it as an excuse, while also making himself sound superior. Not cool. Would Yuzu ever go on live TV and and say that Javi was making up excuses when he said he was underscored at his last Europeans? No, of course he wouldn't. I get that not every skater is good at PR... but if you suck at it, stay the hell away from live TV, lol. But well, maybe Yuzu has just made me have impossible standards, he's so well-spoken. 

17 minutes ago, river said:

Wow, Javi. Way to kick Yuzu while he’s down.

Pretty much and while I want Yuzuru to get recompense, I see no need to go beyond our laments and vexatiouns here. Anything we do only fuels the narrative we are zealots, crazies, and everything else they want to hurl at us under the sun. I dont want to give him the satisfaction of an easy goad to further his smug narrative. He isnt worth it.

18 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Yeah, this is how I took it, as well. What annoyed me was the use of the words "he was complaining" (when has Yuzu ever complained ffs) and "for me, it's a problem, but it's not an excuse." Which has the implication that Yuzu did use it as an excuse, while also making himself sound superior. Not cool. Would Yuzu ever go on live TV and and say that Javi was making up excuses when he said he was underscored at his last Europeans? No, of course he wouldn't. I get that not every skater is good at PR... but if you suck at it, stay the hell away from live TV, lol. But well, maybe Yuzu has just made me have impossible standards, he's so well-spoken. 

In that sense he is so much like Brian, who is also not the best at PR. Sometimes I just wish he would shut up and let Tracy or Ghislain answer the media. 

1 hour ago, Hydroblade said:

Of course, it literally isn't Yuzu against the entire sport, though it can feel that way most of the time. He has his team and the support of some people within the sport, but when it comes to the public-facing figures (i.e. former skaters, journalists, etc.), it cannot be denied that many of them have turned their back on him or only use him for his popularity. They say nice things about him when it benefits them, and then turn away and ridicule him in the next breath. On the other hand, as we all know, the key, hidden, influential figures in this sport and his career aren't much better (ISU and JSF).

Is it a little bit presumptuous for me to say that he has no one in his corner? Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if he has small pockets of support within JSF (as crazy as that sounds). However, these people would never openly say anything against Yuzu's detractors (and Yuzu wouldn't want that either), and it's clear that politically, there are more who want him gone than not, so it is very frustrating.

It is very frustrating that the one of the very few people whom Yuzu considered worthy of respect has said this about him. Because for Yuzu, when it comes to defending himself, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. So it's even more important--it's extremely crucial that the people who claim to support him, who have a voice, do.

Javi literally said that Yuzu was complaining about the hole. He straight up said that he thinks the pop had more to do with Yuzu's takeoff rather than the hole. This is literally the only time Yuzu has ever said there was nothing to be done, that he felt his form was perfect, but that he was unlucky there was a hole. This is literally the only time Yuzu has ever said that an error wasn't his mistake. Yeah, Javi may have put his foot in the mouth this time, but the fact that he'd question the existence of the darn hole after having known Yuzu's integrity personally, saying it's something people could say as an excuse, rather than simply going, "That sucks, mate. Happens to the best of us. We'll see how he'll catch up in the free," says a lot more about his character.

I don't condone witch hunting either, which is why I'm ranting here :laughing:

I'll put it under spoiler because I know we need to move on, but this still hurts. 

Spoiler

Woke up on this fine Monday morning to JF's comment and wow... I'm not even angry, just... numb. I expect this from NBC, TSL and the likes but not from the one whose signature Yuzu carried around with him to comps like a charm, who Yuzu kept saying he missed. I have not been under the illusion that they are the best of friends since a long time, but this still stings, because we know that it will hurt Yuzu. Like, this might be the only time I've ever heard Yuzu said something like it was not my fault, and I knew someone would have something to say about that, but I did not expect it from Yuzu's ex-teammate. It does not take too much to realize that such a statement will cause Yuzu harm and hurt. It was not even an out-of-nowhere question. It was a TV program, with a script. And he just outright questioned Yuzu's integrity. Yuzu, the one who have shown everyone nothing but kindness, who always demands the highest of himself.

I never fault anyone for not being friendly with their competitors. It is a stressful, tiresome situation. But that man is not competing anymore. What feelings, what motivations pushed him to say thing like that, I cannot for the life of me comprehend them. Some of the first moments that I witnessed of Yuzu that led me to become his fans were moments he shared with JF at PC. Now I can't help but feel bitter thinking of those memories that I've always held fondly.

My heart aches for Yuzu. He's always so kind, so empathetic. He feels deeply. He skates wearing his heart on his sleeves. Again and again, I've seen people trampled on that heart, people who appeared to be close to him. I've seen him kept himself at a distant from people more and more. I only hoped that there are people in this sport who would stay in Yuzu's corner in times like this. And yet.

12 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Yuzu has never complained - ever - or made an "excuse" for an issue during a skate.  The closest he's ever come to saying anything negative about scoring is his mention of this being different than it once was, which is true, but hardly blasting the ISU as I do.  And has always taken responsibility for anything that hasn't been perfect in his programs.  He will be disappointed in himself, kuyashii, for mistakes.  He didn't even blame the hole in the ice for his failed jump in the SP - he merely mentioned that there was one and that's what tripped him up.

Javi knows this about him and I think that is what I find most disappointing in his remarks.

Yuzu's popularity is so huge that the media from all over the world would ask everybody related (or even non related) to skating about Yuzu. Sometimes the interviewees truly appreciate him while sometimes they just say some good things to appeal to the fans. Then occassionally, some let off their guard and tell their true feeling at the moment. Hence the inconsistency we see in some people.

What bothers me the most is not this comment, but the overall feeling that you don't know how genuine some praises are. I remember in a post-PC conference, Yuzu mentioned that he received many congratulations, though some of them might not be genuine. And around 2019 NHK, when people ask Sota and Rika about Yuzu, they weren't able to find the word immediately and Yuzu told them to say whatever they want to say. (I am not implying anything about them, just as an example) It just saddens me that you always doubt if you can take the compliment at its face value.

At the end of the day we have to just accept his former competitors and his current competitors and their fans really do not have his best interests at heart. Remember how snarky P Chiddy used to be about Yuzu? Heck I've even seen Jun Hwan fans in K forums going after Yuzu's personality even though Jun and Yuzu are not even on the same rivalry level. It's just competing sports mentality: go after everyone at the very top to feel better about yourself as a competitor and as the competitor's fan. 

And on the subject of the hole, we have photo proof so this should be a closed issue. There was a hole. 

The only people that don't say snarky things about Yuzu is the Russian ladies, where although I disagree with doping, they do idolize Yuzu in a respectful way.

14 minutes ago, CaroSkate said:

Yuzu's popularity is so huge that the media from all over the world would ask everybody related (or even non related) to skating about Yuzu. Sometimes the interviewees truly appreciate him while sometimes they just say some good things to appeal to the fans. Then occassionally, some let off their guard and tell their true feeling at the moment. Hence the inconsistency we see in some people.

What bothers me the most is not this comment, but the overall feeling that you don't know how genuine some praises are. I remember in a post-PC conference, Yuzu mentioned that he received many congratulations, though some of them might not be genuine. And around 2019 NHK, when people ask Sota and Rika about Yuzu, they weren't able to find the word immediately and Yuzu told them to say whatever they want to say. (I am not implying anything about them, just as an example) It just saddens me that you always doubt if you can take the compliment at its face value.

And this is me trying to figure out why Javi just said he wanna give Yuzu a good hug and praising him and the news (in spoiler below) were released after the FS? And this comment on the hole is made after SP? So I'm genuinely confused if he really thinks Yuzu is giving excuse which he shouldn't be given that he should know Yuzu's character even if they are not close friend but they trained together for years. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, yumeaki said:

And this is me trying to figure out why Javi just said he wanna give Yuzu a good hug and praising him and the news (in spoiler below) were released after the FS? And this comment on the hole is made after SP? So I'm genuinely confused if he really thinks Yuzu is giving excuse which he shouldn't be given that he should know Yuzu's character even if they are not close friend but they trained together for years. 

Reveal hidden contents

Call me a cynic, but here's your reason, straight from that article: "I'm planning to hold an ice show in Madrid" and "I'd like to have another ice show in Japan, where Yuzuru is."

As for what he said after the short program, I'll just take him at face value and believe that that's what he truly thinks. He probably doesn't think Yuzu will see or hear about his commentary on Spanish TV, so it's easy to just jump straight back to telling the Japanese media that he wants to give Yuzu a hug the next time they meet.

Good lord, I'm usually one to give people the benefit of the doubt, but...this is what this sport has done to me. To be fair, I don't think Javi's evil or anything. He's not Eteri. People praise him a lot for his kindness, which I don't doubt has some truth to it. People are shades of grey, after all. It's just that for me, his actions and words show that he is not above using other people for his own self-interest. Like, I understand wanting to make a living and having your source of income depend on not making any enemies, but you don't have to call Yuzu's integrity into question to do that. Yuzu was already visibly frustrated with what happened and didn't need anyone to twist his words. Certainly wasn't expecting Javi to be the one to do it. Oh well.

Not gonna lie, I think it's pretty ironic that the guy whose Salchow Yuzu moved across an ocean for, also turned out to be a snake.