General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, Yuzu_GOAT said:

Could he possibly be at Beijing and just have completely dodged detection? I mean given who he is it's unlikely that he'd manage to pull that off without getting spotted, but if he's intending to compete he's starting to cut it close.

Don't think he is in Beijing yet.No sign of him in practice at all.I know there is only 1 hour time difference  so  there is no issue with jetlag but surely he has to have the feel of theice and skating on the Olympic right?especially for the edge jumps 

7 minutes ago, Crow said:

why are people talking about 4A in Olys 😱 did he say he was planning on doing it??? it would be a bit extra to do a first attempt in this competition . but I need to catch up on a ton of skating competitions, did he already attempt ???

He attempted it once so far, at Japanese Nationals in December :) It was called downgraded but he stood up on it and it was much improved from earlier attempts. A less strict tech panel might have judged it simply under rotated. And of course being Yuzu, he attempted it from steps with very little prep time!

Spoiler

This is driving me nuts:smiley_hairpull:WHERE IS YUZU !!!:help:

Men's sp is going to start in less than 72 hours and the situation now is so much different with PyongChang back then. Will Yuzu has enough time to clear all the positive tests and whatever requirements? Minus flight time 3-4 hrs, minus time taken to drive to Oly arena, minus check-in into village....is he really just gonna step on the ice on the competition day, without practicing before, shu-pa and bye bye ISU? Not realistic rite?(sounds cool though)

Or is he on his way swimming to Beijing or travelling lightyears from Planet Hanyu or wut:titanic:

4 hours ago, birnasan said:

Yuzu, dear, look, I have folded 1000 cranes for you since Nats. I don't have a great photo, but the cranes are beautiful, and they are all for you. Can you please come to Beijing? Please??? 🙏

Wow, that's really impressive:heartpound:

[NEWS]

"True, and what he has got deserves these loves and supports "

:10742288:

Guest Mary_kyo

A nice interview by Orser:

https://www.newsweekjapan.jp/stories/world/2022/02/3-297_1.php

google translate:

Spoiler

[Exclusive interview] Brian Orser, a famous coach, talks about the possibility of Hanyu winning the Olympics for the third time in a row

──Did you feel something special about Hanyu from the beginning?

In fact, even before that, I had noticed that there was something special about him. In his first appearance at the World Championships in Nice, France (in 2012), he came in third place. With his brilliant free program, "Romeo and Juliet," his "Hanyu-ness" was in full swing. He is young, talented, lively - none of which can be taught.

──How did you decide to serve as a coach?

A meeting was set up when I visited Japan for the World Figure Skating National Competition (in April 2012). I had no idea what was going on, but I was greeted at the airport and taken to a restaurant in Tokyo. When I entered the room, there was Yuzuru. She was very surprised. He had just finished a great season. When asked through an interpreter, "Why do you do this?", He said he wanted to practice with my team and Javier Fernandez. I said, "OK, I see."

When he first arrived in Toronto (Canada), he was a rough man, but he had a natural talent. He needed to be able to manipulate it. We didn't want to rob him of his energy, we wanted to control it by hand. He has a free spirit, but once he tried to put his talent to good use, he soon started to turn everything well.

──What was your initial jump repertoire when Hanyu came to Canada? How has it evolved since then?

At first, I had a triple axel and a quadruple toe loop, but after that I was able to fly anything. The quadruple salchow, quadruple loop, and quadruple lutz that became really important jumps for him. Quadruple toe in the second half of the free. In the latter half of the free time, the quadruple toe became twice, and (in 2015) it became possible to fly quadruple twice even in the short program. That was groundbreaking. It's now commonplace for top skaters to fly two quads in a short program.

── Hanyu has taken men's figure skating to a new level with a program that incorporates a variety of quads.

That's right. He is not afraid to take great risks. He didn't always go as expected, but he couldn't help but always go out on the rink and challenge. Yuzu has always been an improvised genius. He is also a math magician. If something goes wrong at the beginning of the program, you can calculate where to add the combination jump after that. He thinks with his feet.

I once looked at the rink and wondered, "What is this program? What's going on?" But you can understand that the score is displayed.

──Did you get in touch with Hanyu even after he returned to Japan about two years ago?

Ah, before the All Japan Championship (in December last year), I received the footage quite often. I evaluated it and sent back my thoughts. In the footage during the practice, he was disturbed by other players and seemed a little uneasy, when he talked to him about breathing. Not only technical feedback, but also advice such as attitude and wisdom.

── Hanyu missed the Grand Prix Series NHK Trophy due to injury in November 2017, before the Pyeongchang Olympics. When he missed the NHK Trophy and the Russian tournament last November, did he feel it was a reproduction of four years ago?

Exactly. I thought so 100%. He was sorry, but he knew he could get over it. There wasn't time until the All Japan Championship, and with some great skaters in Japan, Yuzuru had to win his seat.

──What was the turning point in his career?

Becoming the first Olympic champion (at the 2014 Sochi Olympics), he made a big leap. He became more confident and took responsibility for his actions-daily practice, what kind of music he skated on, and who choreographed the program. We are honored to be able to give him the means and confidence to do so.

That's exactly what he is now. He has his own routine, doing everything by himself and controlling everything from technical to emotional and psychological aspects. He doesn't have to be taught by others. He has done many things himself, which gives him more power.

──What is the secret of Hanyu's strong mental health?

I do not understand. It's a mystery. He believes in himself and his instincts and is motivated-whether it's the success of a quadruple accelerator or his third Olympic gold medal. It is constantly evolving and raising hurdles.

There is an axis that does not shake at the age of 27, that slip in all Japan .... You can see his mental strength.

──Is Hanyu a special student for you?

That's it. A player like him has never taught, and he will never teach again. Yuzu is my longest-time student. He has been with us for 10 years and has experienced so many things. Injuries, injured events, victories, new coronas.

--What do you think was the most influential advice for Hanyu?

I've always talked about skating with all my heart. Think with your head and slide wisely, but at the same time slide with passion. Find that balance.

──What is the most memorable of his achievements?

I think it's the second consecutive Olympic title (in Pyeongchang). He was seriously injured and took small steps to reach that dimension. Both short and free were great. That time is the most memorable.

── Did you think that the day would come when someone would challenge the quadruple accelerator?

I thought I could see it while I was alive. It was only a matter of time after the quadruple competition began. If anyone does it, it's Yuzuru. Once he has set his goals, he continues to challenge until he succeeds. He should be able to achieve it if he is healthy.

── Can Hanyu win a gold medal at the Beijing Olympics?

I think he can win enough if he can slip like all Japan. This could be the best Olympics for him.

DeepL translate:

Spoiler

─ Did you feel something special about Hanyu from the very beginning when you started teaching him?

- Actually, even before that, I had noticed that there was something special about him. In his first appearance at the World Championships in Nice, France (in 2012), he came in third place. With his brilliant free program, "Romeo and Juliet," his "Hanyu-ness" was in full swing. He is young, talented, and lively - none of which can be taught.

- How did you come to be his coach?

-(When I visited Japan for the World Figure Skating Championships (in April 2012), a meeting was set up. I had no idea what was going on, but I was met at the airport and taken to a restaurant in Tokyo. When I entered the room, I found Yuzuru. I was so surprised. He had just finished a great season. I asked him through my translator, "Why are you doing this? He said he wanted to train with my team and with Javier Fernandez. I said, "OK, I see.

When he first came to Toronto (Canada), he was rough around the edges, but he had a natural talent. We had to make sure he could handle it. We didn't want to take away his energy, we wanted to tame it and control it. He's a free spirit, but once we got him to use his talent, everything started to fall into place.

- What was Hanyu's jump repertoire when he first came to Canada? How has it evolved since then?

- In the beginning, he could do a triple Axel and a quadruple toeloop, but then he could do everything. A quad salchow, a quad loop, a quad lutz, which became really important jumps for him. The quadruple toe in the second half of FS. The quad toe in the second half of FS became two, and then in the short program (in '15), he was able to do two quadruples. That was a breakthrough. Nowadays, it is common for top skaters to fly two quadruples in the short program.

- Hanyu took men's figure skating to a new level with his program that included a variety of quadruples.

- That's right. He is not afraid to take big risks. It doesn't always go as expected, but he always had to go out to the rink and challenge himself. Yuzu has always been a genius at improvisation. He was also a mathematical wizard. If something goes wrong at the beginning of the program, he can calculate where to add a combination jump after that. He thinks with his feet.

I'm looking at the rinks and thinking, "What is this program? What's going on? What's going on? But when you see the scores, you understand.

- Have you been in contact with Hanyu since he returned to Japan almost two years ago?

- Yes, before the All-Japan Championships (last December), I received his videos quite often. I evaluated it, and sent back my thoughts. There was one time when I saw him looking a little uneasy in the video during practice, being disturbed by another athlete, and I talked with him about his breathing. I gave him not only technical feedback, but also advice like attitude and wisdom.

- In November 2017, before the PyeongChang Olympics, Hanyu missed the Grand Prix Series NHK Cup due to an injury. When you missed the NHK Cup and Russia last November, did you feel like it was a repeat of four years ago?

- That's exactly how I felt, 100%. I felt sorry for him, but I also knew that he could overcome it. We didn't have much time before the All-Japan Championships, and there were some great skaters in Japan, so Yuzuru had to earn his spot.

- What was the turning point in his career?

-When he became the first Olympic champion (at the Sochi Olympics in 2014), he took a big leap forward. He became more confident and started to take responsibility for his actions - his daily practice, what music he skates to, and who choreographs his programs. We are honored to be able to give him the tools and confidence to do so.

And that's exactly what he is doing right now. He has his own routine, does everything on his own, and controls everything from the technical, emotional, and psychological aspects of his life. He doesn't need to be taught by others. He does a lot of things on his own, which gives him more strength.

- What is the secret of Hanyu's strong mental strength?

- I don't know. It's a mystery. He believes in himself and his instincts, and he's motivated - whether it's a successful quadruple axel or his third Olympic gold medal. He is constantly evolving and raising the bar.

At 27 years old, he has an unshakeable axis, and that skate at All-Japan ....... You can see how mentally strong he is.

- Is Hanyu a special student of yours?

- Yes, he is. I have never taught a player like him, and I will never teach him again. Yuzu has been my student for the longest time, we have been together for 10 years and we have been through so much. We have been together for ten years and have experienced so much -- injuries, hurtful events, victories, the new Corona.

--What advice would you say has had the most influence on Hanyu?

- I've always told him to skate with his heart. Think smartly and skate smartly, but at the same time skate with passion. It's about finding that balance.

- What is the most unforgettable achievement?

-(I think it's the two consecutive Olympic victories in PyeongChang. He was badly injured, and he took small steps to get to that level. Both the short and free skate were amazing. That was the most memorable moment for me.

- Did you think the day would come when someone would challenge the quadruple axel?

- I thought I would see it in my lifetime, the quad competition had started and it was just a matter of time. If anyone would do it, it would be Yuzuru. Once he sets a goal, he will keep trying until he succeeds. As long as he is healthy, he can do it.

- Will Hanyu be able to win a gold medal at the Beijing Olympics?

- If he can skate like he did in All-Japan, I think he will be able to win. It is possible that this will be the best Olympics for him.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
10 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

A nice interview by Orser:

https://www.newsweekjapan.jp/stories/world/2022/02/3-297_1.php

google translate:

Hide contents

[Exclusive interview] Brian Orser, a famous coach, talks about the possibility of Hanyu winning the Olympics for the third time in a row

──Did you feel something special about Hanyu from the beginning?

In fact, even before that, I had noticed that there was something special about him. In his first appearance at the World Championships in Nice, France (in 2012), he came in third place. With his brilliant free program, "Romeo and Juliet," his "Hanyu-ness" was in full swing. He is young, talented, lively - none of which can be taught.

──How did you decide to serve as a coach?

A meeting was set up when I visited Japan for the World Figure Skating National Competition (in April 2012). I had no idea what was going on, but I was greeted at the airport and taken to a restaurant in Tokyo. When I entered the room, there was Yuzuru. She was very surprised. He had just finished a great season. When asked through an interpreter, "Why do you do this?", He said he wanted to practice with my team and Javier Fernandez. I said, "OK, I see."

When he first arrived in Toronto (Canada), he was a rough man, but he had a natural talent. He needed to be able to manipulate it. We didn't want to rob him of his energy, we wanted to control it by hand. He has a free spirit, but once he tried to put his talent to good use, he soon started to turn everything well.

──What was your initial jump repertoire when Hanyu came to Canada? How has it evolved since then?

At first, I had a triple axel and a quadruple toe loop, but after that I was able to fly anything. The quadruple salchow, quadruple loop, and quadruple lutz that became really important jumps for him. Quadruple toe in the second half of the free. In the latter half of the free time, the quadruple toe became twice, and (in 2015) it became possible to fly quadruple twice even in the short program. That was groundbreaking. It's now commonplace for top skaters to fly two quads in a short program.

── Hanyu has taken men's figure skating to a new level with a program that incorporates a variety of quads.

That's right. He is not afraid to take great risks. He didn't always go as expected, but he couldn't help but always go out on the rink and challenge. Yuzu has always been an improvised genius. He is also a math magician. If something goes wrong at the beginning of the program, you can calculate where to add the combination jump after that. He thinks with his feet.

I once looked at the rink and wondered, "What is this program? What's going on?" But you can understand that the score is displayed.

──Did you get in touch with Hanyu even after he returned to Japan about two years ago?

Ah, before the All Japan Championship (in December last year), I received the footage quite often. I evaluated it and sent back my thoughts. In the footage during the practice, he was disturbed by other players and seemed a little uneasy, when he talked to him about breathing. Not only technical feedback, but also advice such as attitude and wisdom.

── Hanyu missed the Grand Prix Series NHK Trophy due to injury in November 2017, before the Pyeongchang Olympics. When he missed the NHK Trophy and the Russian tournament last November, did he feel it was a reproduction of four years ago?

Exactly. I thought so 100%. He was sorry, but he knew he could get over it. There wasn't time until the All Japan Championship, and with some great skaters in Japan, Yuzuru had to win his seat.

──What was the turning point in his career?

Becoming the first Olympic champion (at the 2014 Sochi Olympics), he made a big leap. He became more confident and took responsibility for his actions-daily practice, what kind of music he skated on, and who choreographed the program. We are honored to be able to give him the means and confidence to do so.

That's exactly what he is now. He has his own routine, doing everything by himself and controlling everything from technical to emotional and psychological aspects. He doesn't have to be taught by others. He has done many things himself, which gives him more power.

──What is the secret of Hanyu's strong mental health?

I do not understand. It's a mystery. He believes in himself and his instincts and is motivated-whether it's the success of a quadruple accelerator or his third Olympic gold medal. It is constantly evolving and raising hurdles.

There is an axis that does not shake at the age of 27, that slip in all Japan .... You can see his mental strength.

──Is Hanyu a special student for you?

That's it. A player like him has never taught, and he will never teach again. Yuzu is my longest-time student. He has been with us for 10 years and has experienced so many things. Injuries, injured events, victories, new coronas.

--What do you think was the most influential advice for Hanyu?

I've always talked about skating with all my heart. Think with your head and slide wisely, but at the same time slide with passion. Find that balance.

──What is the most memorable of his achievements?

I think it's the second consecutive Olympic title (in Pyeongchang). He was seriously injured and took small steps to reach that dimension. Both short and free were great. That time is the most memorable.

── Did you think that the day would come when someone would challenge the quadruple accelerator?

I thought I could see it while I was alive. It was only a matter of time after the quadruple competition began. If anyone does it, it's Yuzuru. Once he has set his goals, he continues to challenge until he succeeds. He should be able to achieve it if he is healthy.

── Can Hanyu win a gold medal at the Beijing Olympics?

I think he can win enough if he can slip like all Japan. This could be the best Olympics for him.

I was gonna post this but you are faster LOL. 

Anyway, DeepL does a better job translating the article, so do try it on on there.

4 hours ago, Pianistliz said:

He attempted it once so far, at Japanese Nationals in December :) It was called downgraded but he stood up on it and it was much improved from earlier attempts. A less strict tech panel might have judged it simply under rotated. And of course being Yuzu, he attempted it from steps with very little prep time!

omg thats amazing 🗣️🗣️🗣️

ofc he would be judged ungenerously even in Japan 😂

he is the best. well whatever he decides to do i will be rooting for him 💜💜💜

I need to watch all the competitions I missed, now that I am on vacation I have nothing but time hehe

I think Yuzu will arrive as late as possible (Monday?) and just not skate on the main rink before the actual comp. Yuzu has matured as a skater and his SPs have been getting more and more stable over the years (it helps that he hasn’t changed the jump content in a while). I can imagine that he can do without checking the ice condition before. He‘s probably decided that minimizing a risk of infection is more important. By the time for the FS he‘ll have had his chance to skate on the main rink anyway. He might as well just prepare at his home rink than skate on the practice rink. 

Where is he! :59227c768286a__s:  I'm going crazy refreshing everything looking for any sightings of him. At this rate, he'll really just show up on the day of SP revealing that he quietly entered Beijing like a week ago.

Anyway, since I've gone a little crazy, I discovered that "Where is Yuzuru Hanyu now" is a search suggestion on Google after I typed "Where is Yu...", so it seems everyone else is as crazy as I am. :smiley-laughing021: