General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

B-but how about 4F? I think Yuzu can compete for another couple of seasons if he wants. He is at his best ever and just peaking. However, I have this strange feeling that he might really retire in Beijing if he lands a clean 4A. Him tearing up before his FS in jnats made me think that jnats2021 was his final national competition.

I don't have much hopes for the judging in Beijing. It wasn’t fair in 2018 (I mean Nathan shouldn’t had qualified for the free) so it won’t be fair in 2022 too. I just hope that it will be more fair than the nightmare in GPF19 (actually 2019 was one of the darkest years in men’s FS). I don’t think Yuzu’s popularity or endorsements will affect judging but NBC’s huge investment and big gamble on Nathan’s gold will definitely affect judging.

I agree Yuzu could still compete after this season ends, but obviously he will retire on a Gold medal only, whatever OG or Worlds.

As for the judging in OG, the Olympic committee does not depends on the ISU and TV rights for fs only, therefore I'm more optimistic. I don't know if I should, lol.

As a side note, the GPF19 was my first competition attendance and we got that nightmare of a scoring...I will always remember the support we gave Yuzu the day of the free skate and at the medal ceremony.

4 hours ago, lajoitko said:

Does anyone know what kind of medal ceremony Beijing will have? I have been thinking about the team event and the men's competition schedule. Previously medal ceremonies have been on the same night with the competition and at least in 2018 it was held in different place than the actual competition. The team event will end on 7th and the men's short program is going to be on the following day with early morning practices. Is it mandatory for all team to participate on the medal ceremony or can some skaters (men) choose whether or not to participate? I just think that whoever man ends up on the podium in the team competition, will have a disadvantage for the individual competition just because of this schedule. I checked the schedule and the last team event ends by 12.30 pm, so if they could held it earlier, it could help somewhat.

Sorry to bring my own worry to you all, maybe I am worrying too much. I just think that Japan has a real chance for the medal and the schedule could also affect on who the other countries (mainly US) choose for their teams.

I was thinking about this as well. IIRC in 2014 and 2018 they held medal ceremonies at the end of each day after all the competitions on that day finished, one after the other.

According to this article, Beijing also plans to hold 2 separate ceremonies - one inside the competition venue => a souvenir ceremony and one outside in the Medals Plaza => a traditional ceremony. Cannot find any specific details about when they plan to hold it but most likely again in the evening. 

https://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/3162058/china-reinvents-olympic-medal-ceremony-adding-new-cultural-exhibitions 

But at least it seems like the skaters will not have to travel too much: https://architectureofthegames.net/2022-beijing/beijing-2022-olympic-venues-in-google-maps/

• the competition venue for figure skating => Capital Indoor Stadium
  • the place for medal ceremonies => Beijing Medals Plaza 

and both of them are located within 10-15km from the Olympic village in Beijing. 

The schedule for men who will compete in the team event is brutal. There are many pros and cons and I cannot decide whether I wish Yuzu takes part in team short program or not :59227c768286a__s: I doubt one can skip a medal ceremony for non-essential reasons but who knows.

2 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

I read tweets from a Fanyu from Beijing saying that their new activity to support Yuzu is banned on Weibo due to their national regulation and that the official postcard campaign is probably the only one they can do. 

Here is their message: 

Thank you so much to all the Fanyus in China for always being supportive and thoughtful :10742289: I'm very grateful to them for all the hard work and efforts they have been putting in through the difficult situation :tumblr_inline_mqt4gvxxtJ1qz4rgp:

wait, supporting foreign athletes is banned? :O 

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

wait, supporting foreign athletes is banned? :O 

I think it’s the general supporting anyone on weibo. C-ent has been even more of a mess lately. They have gotten rid of many, and I mean *many*, fans-organised, well, anything online.

7小时前, micaelis说:

In fact, I think the authorities in Beijing might pack the audience with Yuzu fans.

This is way tooooo optimistic. Chinese Fanyus are all crying inside right now, because we know the only thing that we can support him is to write postcards. There is no chance for real hardcore fanyus to be in the venue. I am sure many people in the venue know Yuzu is a star, but really, that's it. The best case I can think of is to have some figure skating experts guide the audience. But considering there are already too many things for organizers to worry about for Covid prevention (the audience, if any, need to be isolated and quarantined in some ways, there is huge logistics around it), I wonder if there is any spare capacity/mentality for it.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:23 AM, Geo1 said:

I was not a figure skating fan, but I was immediately taken by Yuzu’s Parisienne Walkways. I’d never seen figure skating like that before and that was the beginning of my fall into the Yuzu rabbit hole.

SAMEEEEEEEEE. That's why PW will always held a special place in my heart. Youtube was doing its thing just playing in the background and I just happened to watch it. I think it was his Olympic Routines Top Moment? It was so mesmerizing and captivating to watch. I could not take my eyes off of the screen.  I never knew figure skating could be like this. He hit the note every time and it was so effortless and magical to watch. I always think that figure skating and ballet is to a lesser extent a polished version of interpretive dancing, where I as an uncultured swine could not understand the music, nothing is matching with anything, movements/choreo not synchronized, etc. But that PW program made me feel I finally understand figure skating. Of course had I watched other skaters I don't think the impact would be the same, they don't have the magnetic charm that Yuzu has that makes you just want to stop and watch him skate, not to mention their choreo doesn't do it for me. 

16 minutes ago, jier said:

This is way tooooo optimistic. Chinese Fanyus are all crying inside right now, because we know the only thing that we can support him is to write postcards. There is no chance for real hardcore fanyus to be in the venue. I am sure many people in the venue know Yuzu is a star, but really, that's it. The best case I can think of is to have some figure skating experts guide the audience. But considering there are already too many things for organizers to worry about for Covid prevention (the audience, if any, need to be isolated and quarantined in some ways, there is huge logistics around it), I wonder if there is any spare capacity/mentality for it.

Agree! Imagine Yuzu going into the 6-min warm up, expecting an audience like Pyeongchang where every time he landed a jump, the huge applause shook the venue; where as in Beijing, there is silence...or even worse, only applause when other skater (Boyang Jin) lands a jump. Yuzu hasn't skated in such audience for a long time. Not saying Yuzu can't skate in such audience, I trust he can amaze them, but being mentally not prepared is a negative factor.

Guest Mary_kyo
7 hours ago, Kadova said:

hmmm.... I believe Yuzu is far stronger than that. He can handle disappointment very well. Of course the underscoring affects him, but it would not be to the point of mental abuse. He already said he went depressed in 2020, due in parts to being confined and alone without his coaches. The confinement was hard for millions of people everywhere.

No, agree to disagree. Unfair scoring is the most powerful psychological weapon. It is similar to doing a running competition but the overscored one starting much closer to the finish line. The overscored skater such as Nathan would gain an incomparable confidence that let him just focus on “landing”. Meanwhile the underscored skater would consider himself a loser before the start of the competition. Yuzu literally said here that he had given up on winning in the past. and no it's not just because of training alone and confinement lol. If anything he said his family helped him a lot in the dark times and he stayed in Sendai when he could come back to Canada. Read Yuzu interviews, he said last year that he thought everyone else was improving except him. This is exactly a mental abuse, making a very capable skater doubt himself and his abilities.

Now, he has overcome that doubt and is in a much better place mentally but he was indeed affected negatively. 

4 hours ago, Briq_S said:

Agree! Imagine Yuzu going into the 6-min warm up, expecting an audience like Pyeongchang where every time he landed a jump, the huge applause shook the venue; where as in Beijing, there is silence...or even worse, only applause when other skater (Boyang Jin) lands a jump. Yuzu hasn't skated in such audience for a long time. Not saying Yuzu can't skate in such audience, I trust he can amaze them, but being mentally not prepared is a negative factor.

Yes, currently chinese fans are explaining the situtation on twitter and trying to convey this situation to Yuzu's team and hope this info can help them preapared.

There would be no open sale for tickets because of the covid while still maintaining a certain amount of audience in the arena, special strategy is applied by the organizers to choose the audience and assign the tickets.  The outcome is that most of the audience may know nothing about figure skating, and maybe they know yuzu is a star, but that's all, and we can't expect them to applaud for a Japanese as they are chosen with certain strict critieria.

In China we do have a large amout of fans of yuzu, but the chances that any of us getting a ticket is almost impossible, maybe only several fortunate guys. We do hope the yuzu team know this situation and then can cope with this.

Otherwise, based on the media, they may have the misunderstanding that yuzu will get wamly supported in the rink while face the opposite.