General Yuzuru Chat

Short preview of the Figure Skaters Nr. 24 magazine:girlsigh:

I found this on instagram. A fan pray for Yuzu's third success at Olympics  and wave the big flag.:heartpound:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZA1O7fhjrM/?utm_medium=copy_link

Or on twitter

The support of the Fanyus is really impressive.

:softYuzu:

1 hour ago, Yuzu_legend said:

Not sure if this has been shared already:

Yes :yes: with translation.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
14 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

For me, this is the dividing line between technique and artistry. If your progran is such that you can move elements in it around at will, you're a technician, not an artist-athlete. 

Unless, like Yuzu used to do, you actually plan and train 2-3 different layouts just in case...

Personally, I'm not happy with using the terms "technician" and "artist" athlete.

Like Yuzu said himself: A solid technique is the foundation of artistry and these two are unseparable.

I would rather distinguish between the "point hunters" who only care about stuff that gets rewarded on the scoresheet.

And the "full-package skaters" who also invest in skills that don't pay off numerically, but complete the program and raise its ideal value.

Another possible distinction is between skaters who only focus on skating-related aspects (jumps, steps and spins) and those who also pay attention to the logical composition of the program, the precise translation of the music to movement and the projection, dancing and acting skills, which all have a complex technical foundation as well.

56 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Personally, I'm not happy with using the terms "technician" and "artist" athlete.

Like Yuzu said himself: A solid technique is the foundation of artistry and these two are unseparable.

I would rather distinguish between the "point hunters" who only care about stuff that gets rewarded on the scoresheet.

And the "full-package skaters" who also invest in skills that don't pay off numerically, but complete the program and raise its ideal value.

Another possible distinction is between skaters who only focus on skating-related aspects (jumps, steps and spins) and those who also pay attention to the logical composition of the program, the precise translation of the music to movement and the projection and acting skills, which all have a complex technical foundation as well.

The terminology isn't the best, because Yuzu is correct, technical mastery is completely necessary to art.  And I don't like the term 'point-hunter' vs 'total package', because one can be a full package skater and still try to maximize the points that you get. 

I think we're both talking about the same thing, anyway: skaters who treat their programs as a rote recital of all their best skills, set to music, vs skaters like Yuzu who treat their program as an integrated whole, as an exquisite expression of the human spirit through the medium of figure skating. Essentially, the presence of a particular piece ofmusic doesn't matter much for the first kind of skater because they can use whatever and get the same result. But for the second kind of skater, the music is everything and dictates the form and flow of the program .

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The terminology isn't the best, because Yuzu is correct, technical mastery is completely necessary to art.  And I don't like the term 'point-hunter' vs 'total package', because one can be a full package skater and still try to maximize the points that you get. 

I think we're both talking about the same thing, anyway: skaters who treat their programs as a rote recital of all their best skills, set to music, vs skaters like Yuzu who treat their program as an integrated whole, as an exquisite expression of the human spirit through the medium of figure skating. Essentially, the presence of a particular piece ofmusic doesn't matter much for the first kind of skater because they can use whatever and get the same result. But for the second kind of skater, the music is everything and dictates the form and flow of the program .

EDIT

I think, Yuzu is one of those rare skaters who truly isn't a point hunter, especially since the 20-21 season.

Spoiler

The 4T+3A sequence was a total waste of points in all regards: the base value got a nonsensical 20% reduction and he only got the GOE for the 4T, not the 3A, which cost him another 3-4 points. So instead of doing those two elements in different jumping passes and maximize the scoring output, he went for that sequence for the sake of spectacle to become the first skater to land it and also because it fit the dramatic development of the program.

Another great example is exactly what he said at JNats this year: yes, he could do more difficult quad jumps in the SP and increase his BV, but he doesn't, because the 4S and 4T combo match the flow and choreo of Rondo better and their quality of execution is higher too. He knows that he can't get a proper GOE and PCS reward that he deserves for that effort (because his opponents get almost perfect GOE and PCS too), but he does it anyway.

He also can't get rewarded properly for the 6 crossovers he does in that program, but he takes that big risk nevertheless, because he can and wants to.

And of course, there is the quad Axel. The base value doesn't reflect the true difficulty of that jump at all, but he still goes for it to write history.

He probably won't be rewarded for the difficult entry, but he still does it for the sake of a fluent skate and choreography.

His entire layout in TenChi is actually much simpler than what he could do, but he sticked with it for the sake of the program and was willing to sacrifice those 10-15 points in BV, although he knows that he will never be able to close that gap in GOE and PCS, no matter how good he skates and how friendly the panel is.

In the 19-20 season he did calculate his scores and tried to max out his BV, but it didn't pay off. The last two seasons he shifted the focus more to his strengths and no longer lets the system dictate how he has to construct his programs. He's doing it the way he wants now and he was successful with it at two national championships in a row.

I wish him that this attitude will help him succeed at the Olympics too :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

But you're right. The term "minimalists" would probably fit better. I'm talking about skaters who do the bare minimum to collect all the points, but do nothing beyond that to enrich and complete the program. Those skaters who don't take any risks like difficult entries, minimize the number of crossovers or perform elements that have a much lower BV/GOE range than what they deserve for their difficulty.

In the current system, the ideal FS layout to maximize your points is the following:

4 big solo jumps in the 1st half to get the high GOE

3 big combos in the 2nd half to max out the 10% bonus (consisting of a big and a small jump so that you don't waste any GOE)

Elements that absolutely don't pay off in terms of points despite a high difficulty:

1. any kind of Axel sequence (waste of BV and GOE)

2. quad-quad combos (waste of GOE)

Elements where the points don't reflect the true level of difficulty:

1. Jump combos with change of rotation direction (3Lz+3Lz) or inside edge landing (3Lzi+3F)

2. quad Axel and quad loop

3. jumps with +1m height and +4m distance

4. jumps with a more difficult entry than a spread eagle

5. jumps with a longer one-foot-exit than 1 second

6. step sequences with more than 11 difficult steps and turns or more than two 1ft-clusters

7. spins with more than the required number of revolutions or position changes

25 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I think, Yuzu is one of those rare skaters who truly isn't a point hunter, especially since the 20-21 season, but before that too.

The 4T+3A sequence was a total waste of points in all regards: the base value got a nonsensical 20% reduction and he only got the GOE for the 4T, not the 3A, which cost him another 3-4 points. So instead of doing those two elements in different jumping passes and maximize the scoring output, he went for that sequence for the sake of spectacle to become the first skater to land it and also because it fit the dramatic development of the program.

Another great example is exactly what he said at JNats this year: yes, he could do more difficult quad jumps in the SP and increase his BV, but he doesn't, because the 4S and 4T combo match the flow and choreo of Rondo better and their quality of execution is higher too. He knows that he can't get a proper GOE and PCS reward that he deserves for that effort (because his opponents get almost perfect GOE and PCS too), but he does it anyway.

He also can't get rewarded properly for the 6 crossovers he does in that program, but he takes that big risk nevertheless, because he can and wants to.

And of course, there is the quad Axel. The base value doesn't reflect the true difficulty of that jump at all, but he still goes for it to write history.

He probably won't be rewarded for the difficult entry, but he still does it for the sake of a fluent skate and choreography.

His entire layout in TenChi is actually much simpler than what he could do, but he sticked with it for the sake of the program and was willing to sacrifice those 10-15 points in BV, although he knows that he will never be able to close that gap in GOE and PCS, no matter how good he skates and how friendly the panel is.

In the 19-20 season he did calculate his scores and tried to max out his BV, but it didn't pay off. The last two seasons he shifted the focus more to his strengths and no longer lets the system dictate how he has to construct his programs. He's doing it the way he wants now and he was successful with it at two national championships in a row.

I wish him that this attitude will help him succeed at the Olympics too :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

One of the biggest reasons I admire Yuzu is because he never compromises his values. I'm sure many of us would rather forget that awful season where the ISU pulled off the most egregious robbery, essentially devaluing and humiliating Yuzu's skating even when he tried to play their game, wearing down his confidence in ever winning again, gaslighting him to think he was stagnating of all things -- but if there was one good thing ever to come out of it, it's that he returned to focus on his vision of what great skating should be. And so we've been incredibly blessed with amazing programs that feel authentically Yuzu: beautiful skating with elements seamlessly flowing from one to the other, with every detail thoughtfully added to interpret all the nuances in the music, and last but not the least, performed to perfection with intense passion and raw emotion. By staying true to himself instead of pandering to the system, ironically, he's given himself the best possible chance to win again, and with it, the return of the fire and confidence that had been taken from him. 

This is why I think Beijing is more than just a battle with the 4A as a weapon. He's using his whole skating as a weapon against the direction the sport is heading in. People will surely cry about base value differences and him jumping "lesser" quads (they already are lol) besides the axel, but if he lands it with two high quality skates, it should be an automatic win no questions asked, since he honestly should just be winning on GOE and PCS alone. It's almost like a litmus test to see if there's any integrity left in this sport.

Anyways, Yuzu himself believes that victory is possible with this all-or-nothing strategy, so I guess we just have to go all out with our support, too! May his efforts, struggles, and heartache over this past quad finally come to fruition on the biggest stage this Olympics 🙏

3 hours ago, Yuzu_legend said:

Can anyone help translate the bits where Yuzu is mentioned? 🙏🏼💕

The second volunteer says she made the decision to major in Japanese after watching Yuzu's performance in Pyeong Chang in 2018. 

The third volunteer says she is a fan of Wu Dajing (the only gold medalist for China in 2018) and Yuzu. Yuzu related part: "This is Yuzuru's third Olympics. I hope that he does not feel too much pressure and he can enjoy the competition. I look forward to his success in (landing) 4A in Beijing Olympics. "

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
Hace 1 hora, JanMary said:

The second volunteer says she made the decision to major in Japanese after watching Yuzu's performance in Pyeong Chang in 2018. 

The third volunteer says she is a fan of Wu Dajing (the only gold medalist for China in 2018) and Yuzu. Yuzu related part: "This is Yuzuru's third Olympics. I hope that he does not feel too much pressure and he can enjoy the competition. I look forward to his success in (landing) 4A in Beijing Olympics. "

:thanks: so much!!! 

Guest Mary_kyo

https://olympics.com/beijing-2022/olympic-games/en/results/figure-skating/athlete-profile-n1038834-yuzuru-hanyu.htm

Excuse me? Lol

Nickname: Mushy? And what is that sloppy summary for his graduation thesis? Since when Johnny is 2018 World bronze medalist? Also why they didn't list his OGMs in historical results? Shoma’s silver is there for his profile. 

Edit: I haven’t checked Nathan’s profile yet but I will sue Olympics if “straigthan”, “redacted” and “NFThan” aren’t listed as Nate's nicknames. The boy worked hard to earn those. 

8 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

https://olympics.com/beijing-2022/olympic-games/en/results/figure-skating/athlete-profile-n1038834-yuzuru-hanyu.htm

Excuse me? Lol

Nickname: Mushy? And what is that sloppy summary for his graduation thesis? Since when Johnny is 2018 World bronze medalist? Also why they didn't list his OGMs in historical results? Shoma’s silver is there for his profile. 

Edit: I haven’t checked Nathan’s profile yet but I will sue Olympics if “straigthan”, “redacted” and “NFThan” aren’t listed as Nate's nicknames. The boy worked hard to earn those. 

The nickname "Mushroom" in the profile looks very unsightly! Disrespectful to such an athlete.But, unlike the nicknames, they forgot to write that Yuzuru is the only one of the male single skaters with a Super helmet