General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, yuzu.fairy said:

Hello , I just found this interview and it's really interesting for me, I wanna ask about his Lunge move, in this interview he said his Lunge is a little bit different than normal Lunge, as an amateur FS fan I wanna know more..........:10636614::tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

http://www.japanskates.com/interviews/Yuzuru_Finlandia2012_interview_en.htm

Japan Skates has been covering 2012 THE ICE: Mao/Kanako/Taka/Yuzuru/TAKAHASHI-TRAN mixed zone interviews, and reviews

http://japanskates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87

Wait, so based on that article, he's had ankle issues naturally since he was a kid? I hope that was a mistranslation.

As for the lunge:

-A normal lunge is similar to the lunge steps you perform for sports. You have one bent leg taking on your weight, and a leg dragging behind you with foot turned to the side. If you want to exaggerate it, you can flatten your free leg downwards till all parts below the knee are laid flat on the ice.

-The lunge that Yuzu does is called a pistol lunge I think? It's a lot harder, because instead of putting your free foot flat against the ice, your free leg is turned outwards, so your legs are now essentially turned out about 180 degrees. Your free foot's blade is on the ice. I've tried it, and got about 2 feet before my legs gave out, I tripped over the back tip of my free foot's blade and hurt my tailbone, since falling means sitting straight down with your legs in a horizontal split position.

3 minutes ago, kaerb said:

finally we are being watered slightly lmao (also, yuzuru 'never goes out except to the ice rink' hanyu talking about a bond with canada in general, I'm giggling)

Um, at some point he did groceries...does that count?

1 hour ago, getsurenka said:

It is kinda funny how the Korean media chose this picture of Yuzu to match their title for him as the "winter's emperor". The intimidativeness of the title was defeated by the picture of smiling boy posing cutely lol.:rofl:

P.S.: This is the original article if anyone is interested. 

Introducing, the Winter Emperor........... is that the kid with the Pooh??

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Wait, so based on that article, he's had ankle issues naturally since he was a kid? I hope that was a mistranslation.

As for the lunge:

-A normal lunge is similar to the lunge steps you perform for sports. You have one bent leg taking on your weight, and a leg dragging behind you with foot turned to the side. If you want to exaggerate it, you can flatten your free leg downwards till all parts below the knee are laid flat on the ice.

-The lunge that Yuzu does is called a pistol lunge I think? It's a lot harder, because instead of putting your free foot flat against the ice, your free leg is turned outwards, so your legs are now essentially turned out about 180 degrees. Your free foot's blade is on the ice. I've tried it, and got about 2 feet before my legs gave out, I tripped over the back tip of my free foot's blade and hurt my tailbone, since falling means sitting straight down with your legs in a horizontal split position.

Um, at some point he did groceries...does that count?

I think the lunge they were talking about is a backwards lunge after the twizzles coming out of the 3lz-3t because they then go on to discuss the へ lunge as another type of lunge and travelling sideways which isn’t close to the combo. I don’t know how the first one is different from usual apart from travelling backwards, though. 

It was my first time hearing about the fracture, too. I wonder if it has anything to do with his prolonged recovery now.

12 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

I think the lunge they were talking about is a backwards lunge after the twizzles coming out of the 3lz-3t because they then go on to discuss the へ lunge as another type of lunge and travelling sideways which isn’t close to the combo. I don’t know how the first one is different from usual apart from travelling backwards, though. 

It was my first time hearing about the fracture, too. I wonder if it has anything to do with his prolonged recovery now.

Oh, backwards lunge? Yeah, it's the same as the fowards, just you're going backwards. >_> The balance is a bit harder, because you might want to lean too forward on your blade (but you can't do that or you hit your toepicks). And Pattern99 toepicks are huge and scary.

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Oh, backwards lunge? Yeah, it's the same as the fowards, just you're going backwards. >_> The balance is a bit harder, because you might want to lean too forward on your blade (but you can't do that or you hit your toepicks). And Pattern99 toepicks are huge and scary.

I found it! It’s not the lunge after the combo but just before. You can see it really clearly in the 2012 NHK broadcast. 

ETA Here it is, around 2:28

一小时前, kaerb说:

ahhhhh... now please go sloooowly Yuzu, don’t do the whole ‘recovered quads in 2 days’ thing out of kuyashii

also his history of right ankle issues makes more sense now, if he had some sort of fracture(?) as a child

Yuzuru I miss you so much, you have no idea how much I Need you right now