General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, Sammie said:

I wouldn't say everyone goes in without rehearsals.  There are those who've been there before, Yuzu being one.  But he hasn't been there enough to say 'been there, done that'.  If he's still going strong and gets to Beijing, then he'll be able to say that.  There are not many who've made it to three Olympics.  The thing about Yuzu though is that he's been THE major player in the men's figure skating spotlight since Sochi, when that Olympic gold plus the GPF gold and World Champion gold made him definitely the one to beat for those wanting any of those three titles.  That said, the real issue is that Yuzu has been living under a great deal of expectation and media coverage since then.  He has become a Japanese cultural icon and his career's successes and the nature of them have had more than one commentator talking about him as GOAT.  There are very few skaters who have ever found themselves a living legend.  In the male arena we'd probably have to go back to Dick Button, whose career encompassed far more than two Olympic golds, but also five straight World Championships, three straight North American Championships and eight straight American Championships.  There's been nothing like that on the men's side since then (late '40s through early '50s).  Yuzu has not been the consistent winner like Dick Button was, but he has established a different claim to legendary status, and that's his record scores, a product of the new-scoring system established in the mid-2000s.  The last time someone other than Yuzu established a world-record score was in 2013.  Since then Yuzu has owned the record book, and not simply the top score, but also a majority of the top-ten scores of the SP, FS and combined.  It is that numerical dominance, plus the fact that he skates with a balance established between the technical and artistic side of skating that sets him apart from all the others and gives him the living legend aura.  The absolute devotion of his very large international fan-base also is a factor.  The cascade of Pooh toys onto the ice after every Yuzu performance is something without precedent in the annals of competitive figure skating.  So, Yuzu is going into PC with some sense of what he'll be facing.  What is new for him, however, is going into a major competition after a long absence from the ice, a situation almost like starting a whole new season.  He will not have recent competitions to rate himself on how he does vis-a-vis other skaters.  With that being the case, the mindset he needs at PC then is one where he skates against his program and not other skaters.  His base-value is sufficient that if he skates clean the other skaters have to skate better than clean to be a threat and if he skates better than clean, which he has done more than just a few times (his records speak for him there), then for the other skaters the battle is for the silver.  I'm sure that Yuzu has watched the videos of all his major opponents through this season.  He knows what they can do and makes his plans accordingly.  It has to be a comfort that none of the six major threats (Patrick, Javi, Shoma, Nathan, Boyang and Mikhail) have had a consistently successful season (Shoma coming the closest).  All in all, then, Yuzu is not the virginal Olympian come PC.  He's had practice in dealing with the pressures, the expectations, and the media since the 2013-2014 season.  He's learned how to handle those.  Now he just has to handle the confidence issues that must be surely present now because of that long layoff.  If he copes with those successfully than we might find ourselves wondering if he can threepeat.

2 часа назад, Sammie сказал:

Actually I don’t remember. :hopelessness: :slinkaway:

I think, it's my fault to mention this because it's off-topic here (and that's why, probably, you don't remember this)

:offtopic:

Спойлер

During Cup of China Gala this year there was a quad competition. Sui Wenjing was a judge, she had to gave a flower to the best jumper. Vincent won, but she gave her flower to a local junior skater. That is what I wanted to say: kids always win any competition. Because the are cuties <3