Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview 😎

WinForPooh

14 minutes ago, Salior said:

I love the "在下面边转边跳“ lmao, can't stop laughing when I read it. This boy is so sarcastic! 

The sentence in question was translated as "或许用我跳 Lz 的方法去跳 4Lz 的话不太适合“, which is exactly as Lily translated. 

lol it does sound way more sarcastic in Chinese.

and yeah Lily's translation is probably better. alas, less tea, but acknowledging the reality that jumping a 4Lz with no PR is miles away from jumping a 4Lz with heavy PR.

13 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

While it’s a lot worse for the women, it’s no easy ride for the men with good but risky and difficult to execute 4Ltz like Boyang and Kolyada and Yuzuru, when pre and under rotated jumps without either the wow or the risk factor get good results because of ballet ankles or intense expressions.  ( not talking about Nathan - his is as far as I can see fully rotated- a fast rotation, with less height and length seems to make his efficient and consistent, probably because it’s less risky.  IMO it also makes it less impressive to watch than Boyang nearly jumping out of the rink.)

I'm still waiting for the day Boyang reconciles with his faster skating speed and his beautiful textbook Lz... Hope to see it back again in time for 2022 Beijing

3 minutes ago, shanshani said:

alas, less tea, but acknowledging the reality that jumping a 4Lz with no PR is miles away from jumping a 4Lz with heavy PR.

Precisely!!! Going through the list of records on Wiki, it really struck me that Boyang was the first to land 4Lz+3T, three different quads, and 6 quads in a competition, yet his PCS remains rock bottom (unlike other quadsters) and he never got the hype or recognition that he deserved, to the extent he questions his own confidence and abilities. Feels sad and hope he can get back someday, I miss his happy smiles

18 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

While it’s a lot worse for the women, it’s no easy ride for the men with good but risky and difficult to execute 4Ltz like Boyang and Kolyada and Yuzuru, when pre and under rotated jumps without either the wow or the risk factor get good results because of ballet ankles or intense expressions.  ( not talking about Nathan - his is as far as I can see fully rotated- a fast rotation, with less height and length seems to make his efficient and consistent, probably because it’s less risky.  IMO it also makes it less impressive to watch than Boyang nearly jumping out of the rink.)

tbh you want to make your quads as small as possible to reduce risk, wear-and-tear, and make them easier to land. I mean, it's kind of obvious that bigger jumps are harder to land, isn't it? the incentive for jumping big is just way too small (like, maybe you get an extra GOE point. Maybe. that's nothing compared to an increased chance of actually landing the jump). one of the many ways the incentive structure of the sport is screwed up.

34 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Nate's 4lz isn't that much safe and stable either. He URs many of his attempts. He simply never gets called on them (for obvious reasons).

1 hour ago, monchan said:

PART 2:

Reading this makes me so mad. This is the problem when people say than over-/underscoring isn’t a big deal. It’s not just about the way it keeps rewarded skaters from developing their weak points, or the concrete loss of confidence, exposure and opportunities, even though all of those factors are certainly bad enough. 

It stagnates the sport in all areas except one. Not to be dramatic, but we’ll never know what beautiful transitions and creative entries we might have had right now across the field if all innovation and quality was appropriately rewarded. While skaters might stick to choreographically easier layouts, I’m sure many skaters would challenge themselves more if they felt it was worth it. Right now, though, it generally just isn’t. To think that the judging almost made Yuzu feel he was forced to compromise one of the most unique and remarkable parts of his skating is disgusting, it makes me want to punch something. 

I dare say the coaches of children and young teenagers are pushing them towards the high yield low risk techniques- we know they are even encouraging pre and under rotation because at the moment the calls are so off kilter from quotes earlier in this thread.  The older teenagers and 20+ group can’t do much about it - their technique is already set, which we can see from Satoko and Evgenias struggles, and confirmed by Yuzuru in this interview.  To my mind skating will be poorer for it.  

Edit: not this thread, I think it was the general skating thread.

On 10/29/2019 at 2:12 AM, caterpillar said:

Reading this makes me so mad. This is the problem when people say than over-/underscoring isn’t a big deal. It’s not just about the way it keeps rewarded skaters from developing their weak points, or the concrete loss of confidence, exposure and opportunities, even though all of those factors are certainly bad enough. 

It stagnates the sport in all areas except one. Not to be dramatic, but we’ll never know what beautiful transitions and creative entries we might have had right now across the field if all innovation and quality was appropriately rewarded. While skaters might stick to choreographically easier layouts, I’m sure many skaters would challenge themselves more if they felt it was worth it. Right now, though, it generally just isn’t. To think that the judging almost made Yuzu feel he was forced to compromise one of the most unique and remarkable parts of his skating is disgusting, it makes me want to punch something. 

I think it's time to make our opinion known to ISU.

I don't know if they check their twitter or youtube comments, but we'll achieve nothing if we seethe here and they still live in their own ideal bubble. Getting angry on our own won't transmit our thoughts magically to them. They'd think that those on twitter are still vocal minorities that can be brushed off. 

Ignorance is a scary thing, and it's hard to convince them if we don't have the strength in numbers to prove that we ARE a significant part of their income, and that our opinion matters. 

Is there a way to make our opinion known and impossible to ignore? Like an open letter on a reputable news site? A column write-up? Anything? 

It angers me that the system currently rewards those who push the limits of what is acceptable by openly flaunting the rules, instead of those who stayed true to the spirits of what figure skating intended to promote. One position occupied by them is one position denied to a skater whose coach was too meek too push their boundaries years ago.

Wow, Yuzu. Good for him to say what he's feeling... and if it opens up some more eyes then great... and if he gets a backlash from it, well, we know he hit a nerve...

I am now even more glad he received such good PCS marks... he really must have been feeling as if he was training so hard for naught.. I hope they continue to reward him and this wasn't just a one off deal to keep him motivated etc...

As for the 4lz... I wondered what he might think about these tiny girls landing it when he had trouble, (and not just him, but Kolyada etc... ) but he would do well to remember that their body shapes are also totally different. These young girls are totally straight and Yuzu (while very thin) has broader shoulders and more of a definable waist/figure than they do, allowing them to rotate like tornadoes while he has to have a bit more air time... but we know Yuzu is probably analyzing this stuff like crazy....

• WinForPooh changed the title to Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview 😎
4 hours ago, monchan said:

PART 2:

The red part *sigh*

How many times i've seen comments stating the skaters with long preparation but rather consistent jumps get called better jumpers than Yuzu by cancelling all those tricky steps before and after his jumps or how GOE and PCS are subjective and as an example; J4's +4 on twizzle+3A+twizzle and 9.0 on PCS was okay because its her "opinion".

I myself as a viewer get discouraged and get in the edge of quiting.. I can only imagine the frustration he must have felt. I can't forgive the sport for betraying and discouraging the best thing happens to it, to make him doubt the right way. Not just him but everyone who works hard to do the right thing while others just work on cheated techniques. But what's funny is I don't think leaving the transitions will benefit him, even his consistency will go up they just won't give the points they gave to others either way.

I'm glad he's at least motivated again while on the edge. I believe if they didn't gave +5 to his 3A this time as in ACI last year that'd be it, he would drop the transitions (as he did changed it last season saying judges didn't liked twizzle entry). I'm glad he brought it back because it's just so beautiful and there is no one else who can do that and that's the joy of watching Yuzu. He is brilliant in every aspect. 

I wonder what would happen if Yuzu did take out a lot of his transitions. Would he get scores according to the letter of the rule unlike others who have no transitions? His jump consistency would definitely get better if he took out his transitions. Would that keep him at a constant 9.5-9.75 in components with easy +4 GOEs?

37 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I wonder what would happen if Yuzu did take out a lot of his transitions. Would he get scores according to the letter of the rule unlike others who have no transitions? His jump consistency would definitely get better if he took out his transitions. Would that keep him at a constant 9.5-9.75 in components with easy +4 GOEs?

Yuzu's one-foot-turn : crossover ratio is already 2-3x more than others, I mean Shun fell flat when he tried to do Origin. Even cutting his transitions in half will leave him well ahead of the entire pack. He's just being an idealist. 

6 minutes ago, Salior said:

Yuzu's one-foot-turn : crossover ratio is already 2-3x more than others, I mean Shun fell flat when he tried to do Origin. Even cutting his transitions in half will leave him well ahead of the entire pack. He's just being an idealist. 

I'm not questioning that. However he is held to different standards for scoring. They might shrug and whistle at empty programmes and give them 9s because that's what they do and in the same breath turn around and dock Yuzu points for it. If they didn't hold him to a different standard, the first two spins and the step sequence and the 3Lz and the solo 4T and the 4T combo in Origin should all have got +5s across the board, and I'd add the 4S to that except the axis wasn't perfect but it was perfect by other skater standards.

All those elements hit the mandatory three bullets plus at least two of the extra bullets, and no negative bullets, so that's textbook +5. But he didn't get it.

If Yuzu takes noticeable number of TR out, he might very well get penalised for it even if nobody else is.

Ah... what an impressive interview. I'm happy he spoke up about this, and in such a thoughtful way... but this is unusually bold, to speak of the judging even this much, isn't it? I'm also really sad and angry that the situation would make him doubt even for a moment his own special strengths and skating.

1 minute ago, Noelle said:

Ah... what an impressive interview. I'm happy he spoke up about this, and in such a thoughtful way... but this is unusually bold, to speak of the judging even this much, isn't it? I'm also really sad and angry that the situation would make him doubt even for a moment his own special strengths and skating.

Those phantom calls on toe jumps were bolder. I was shocked at the kiss and cry when he mentioned it but it was well deserved and still in very cute and polite manner