Japanese cuisine

Eclair

So I was looking for a good matcha tea and discovered, that there is no real 'Japanese food' thread here, so I thought I would open one. 

What are your favorite Japanese dishes and snacks? Drinks? What would like to to try once? 

Mine are:  

- Sushi! (that's a given) LOOOOOOVE good sushi! 

- and I also like Okonomyaki 

- sometimes I enjoy taro mochi's, but it's very sweet so I can't eat much of it at once

- and I have started drinking matcha tea pretty often, although sometimes I allow myself a glass of calpis then and now :loveeyes:

What I want to try some day: 

- Takoyaki 

- Some authentic chicken or salmon teriyaki 

what about you? 

My absolute favorite used to be Gyoza (still haven't found a good vegan replacement) and Ramen.

I also really love those ice cream mochi thingies (I don't remember what they're called but you can get them at every Lawson and they're delicious)

Feels blasphemous to say but I never really liked sushi much :runaway:

6 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

My absolute favorite used to be Gyoza (still haven't found a good vegan replacement) and Ramen.

I also really love those ice cream mochi thingies (I don't remember what they're called but you can get them at every Lawson and they're delicious)

Feels blasphemous to say but I never really liked sushi much :runaway:

Did you like smoked salmon on top of your bread when weren't vegan? Because if you did, then I can assure you that you'd have loved sushi:loveeyes:

I eat mostly vegetarian (exceptions are made on Christmas or when I'm being invited) but sushi and fish dishes are the only 'meats' that I miss the most and still eat about twice a month ... :shrug:

2 minutes ago, Eclair said:

Did you like smoked salmon on top of your bread when weren't vegan? Because if you did, then I can assure you that you'd have loved sushi:loveeyes:

I eat mostly vegetarian (exceptions are made on Christmas or when I'm being invited) but sushi and fish dishes are the only 'meats' that I miss the most and still eat about twice a month ... :shrug:

Also never liked fish a lot (although salmon was okay), might've been a factor in me not warming to sushi :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

And it's not that I never tried it, I did, I didn't hate it I just never got the hype

6 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

Also never liked fish a lot (although salmon was okay), might've been a factor in me not warming to sushi :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

And it's not that I never tried it, I did, I didn't hate it I just never got the hype

okay, if you don't like fish in general, I guess sushi is not for you then :yucky::lol: but for me, some good sushi (not the all-you can eat ones or even worse the self-made ones :rofl3:), is one of the yummiest food I know :loveeyes:  what are your favourite dishes then?

favourites:

food:

-okonomiyaki

-modanyaki

-udon (particularly kitsune udon)

-taiyaki/oobanyaki/imagawayaki whatever name you call it ( preferably anko or sweet potato filling)

-japanese crepe (I know crêpe are french but the toppings etc)

-chahan

-yakisoba/yakiudon

-gyudon
ETA: -shabu shabu -nabe

drinks:

-tea (matcha, genmaicha, gyokuro, kukicha, houjicha, sobacha)

-lemon sour/ lemon chuhai

-calpis

things I'd like to try:

-kaiseki ryori

-kobe/matsuzaka/hida beef

-I'd someday like to do a sake testing to find out which brand+ type I like most

Oooooooooh a thread for favorite Japanese food! Here goes mine :party0021:

Food:

Sushi (favorite fish tuna and salmon standard :p though I like shrimp and other fishes available to me as well

Ramen (usually with miso)

Udon

Takoyaki

Okonomiyaki

Yakisoba

Japanese curry (I prefer it more with udon though)

Tempura

Gyudon

Miso soup

Boiled edamame (....yeah, as simple as that :P )

Drink

Matcha-flavored everything okay not exactly everything but usually stuff like matcha latte.... :runaway:

Food I'd like to try

Different types of nabe

Gyutan (yakiniku :9 )

Zunda everything :P (esp. zunda mochi)

Many types of wagyu :P

.... I guess that's all for now.......

Ooooh :knc_yuzu1: I feel hungry already with this thread

Personal favorites:

- Chashu ramen

- Takoyaki

- Gyoza

- Katsudon 

- Yakisoba

I'd like to try taiyaki and all things mochi, particularly that red bean soup with mochi that I think is traditional for new year? And toasted mochi! And those soba noodles that are eaten cold and dipped in soy sauce and other sauces...and...and...*dies*

Sushi, sashimi- strangely I love raw fish, you could probably feed me fatty tuna and salmon sashimi anytime and I'd perk up instantly

Takoyaki

Tempura

Tonkatsu and Katsudon

Shabu-shabu: this feels similar to hotpot in China, and is amazing in winter

Anything tofu and edemame

Miso, and seaweed in general

Things I want to try:

Zunda- I'm not a fan of red bean paste so very very curious about this, is it different? I'm okay with the green bean paste in Chinese sweets though

Japanese traditional sweets, and non-traditional desserts- a lot of them just look amazing, and heard that sweets in general are not that sweet. So maybe won't kill myself in the process, since my tolerance for sweets is not very high

Kaiseki

• 2 years later...

So there is a washoku thread already...

I see there are "good fanyus" who like gyoza, zunda and tonkatsu. :wiggle:

Is it only to tell what we like or can we evoke our Japanese cooking experiences too?

"Of course" I love sushi (my first ones were in a real, good Paris Japanese restaurant, so I "tolerate" the lesser ones at sushi-shops and all-you-can-eat but really not the supermarket ones). And mochi, and miso soup, and this wakame salad with sesame seasoning, and that's about all what I have eaten in Japanese restaurants to this date???

Plus natto, ordered online (the pyrofoam ones, then I discovered there were organic natto producers in Europe and I had too). I am now eating natto everyday.

So lately I have decided to "take the bull by the horns" as we say.

First, "to try" I have ordered "dashi kombu" and grated katsuobushi, well aware it was probably something of low quality. And the most widely sold soy sauce (no GMO soy, no additive, brewed 3 months in metallic vats), and a shiro-miso.

Yet this kombu does make a good broth, with or without katsuobushi (and I have not even tried it with dried shiitake). And miso soups are delicious and comforting. And with the used seaweeds one can make tsukudani and I find it good, but then I have never tasted "real one", so I have no reference.

As things were going along well (and shoyu seriously diminished in volume) I ordered (from a French exporter to Japan of food delicacies for restaurants, who became also an importer to France of Japanese delicacies) real kombu from Hokkaido (I feel a bit intimidated by the large, beautiful leaves of ma-kombu, the most classical type of kombu, so I may try first the rausu kombu, which is in small pieces, and which is said to be stronger in flavour), a whole piece of katsuobushi (I will see if I can shave it thin...) and a bottle of two-year-aged shoyu, which I have opened and which is really delicious, "another world".

And a few days ago, we have tried to make natto, with organic soy beans and boxes of ready-made organic natto. I wouldn't say it's a success. Have some satellites already tried to make natto at home? Mine is not slimy at all. I tried to let the last batch longer in the yoghurt-maker, but clearly the bacillus subtilis was overtaken by less pleasant bacteria.

Feeling unabated, we are now trying chashu, and it smells good at least! :rofl3:

EDIT (Sunday) : we had part of the chashu today, not in ramen because as we couldn't find belly, we took a leaner piece and it couldn't be cut in thin slices. It simmered more than three hours instead of two (because it was leaner and I didn't want it to be too dry). We didn't char it. It really tasted great, and the spring onion too (but the onion was quite salted). We did this recipe, with much less sugar and replacing the sake by 1/4 "agricole" (whole sugar cane juice) rhum and 3/4 dry white wine) :

https://www.justonecookbook.com/homemade-chashu/

I know there are versions with poultry and I think it must have a slightly sharper ginger taste, still great.

https://www.wokandskillet.com/chicken-chashu-ramen/

And there's even a vegan version with oyster mushroom, if one can find large ones :

https://okonomikitchen.com/chashu-mushrooms/

• 2 years later...

Favourites:

- Sushi, especially with tuna or salmon 

- Kaisen-don 

- Gyoza 

- Tempura and soba noodles with soy sauce

Drinks:

- Matcha tea 

- Plum wine

Want to try:

- New Japanese Starbucks specials :D