Team Russia

39 minutes ago, Fay said:

I wish someone translated this - or just gave the gist of this... 

With google translate:

Evgenia Medvedeva
interview

Skate family built in Toronto supports
With the resurrection copper, "I got the power to go further"

Evgenia Medvedeva (Russia) changed the practice environment from Russia to Canada and became a season of change and challenge this season. She showed a stunning revival at the World Championships, the final of the season, and became a bronze medal. I looked back on the turbulent season.

The coaches also change their living environment, a tough season
"It was important to start again at the world championships"

- Congratulations on the bronze medal that impresses the revival.

- In this world championship, both short and free are very satisfied with all the performances. It was so hard until I got out to the World Championships, so I was very happy to be in Japan this time, and I was very comfortable. This season I changed my coach and my living environment, and it was a really tough season. I was tens of years old, long, bitter, and happy. I'm proud of myself, I am proud of Toronto's "Team Cricket" and I want to share joy with many people.

- What was your feeling of relief or pleasure when you were awarded the bronze medal?

- I felt confident that it was not a loss of relief or a sense of liberty, something I could do, that I could not lose anything, and that it was the usual "able to fight" Evgenia Medvedeva. It was very important for me to make this tournament a new start, and I was determined to produce good results even under heavy pressure. Having moved from Russia to Canada, I also had a time to worry about the clutter and controversy that happened around me, my perspective and criticism. That's why it was important to show good performance and start again, and to acquire the power to move ahead. I now feel that I got that power.

- What was the key to confronting pressure and opinions?

- The first thing is to set the distance from such criticism. That was the most effective. Basically, I don't watch television because things go on my own way. You can learn new things by searching for information according to your interests and digging deeper and deeper on the Internet, but you can only watch passively and take a look at what commentators say So I haven't seen it for the past 5 years.

- Are you also avoiding getting coverage from the TV?

- However, it is exciting to work with people who are professionals in different fields. In the broadcast industry, speed is more important than anything else, and it's exciting to see how professional people are working, such as how teams move in control. It actually takes shape as a picture, and I like being photographed by a TV camera (laughs).

- The free tango was especially transmitted. Did this passion come from Canada or from Russia?

I-  think that passion is from the temperament as a Russian. It was not a character from birth, and I could not say that I had won it at this World Championship, but I was able to face my own performance with an emotion similar to anger I had never seen before. If I can not exert my power here, I feel angry about myself. That was a very new experience.

Unique cricket members
"I became a family" late in the season

- I think you moved to Brian Orser and have acquired new technique.

- I have a chance to practice together three times a week, but when I see Yuzuru or Jason, I feel ashamed of being as different as me from heaven and earth. But there are many things to look at and learn from them. I feel that skating technology has improved in particular this season. Of course, about 10% as a degree of achievement. On the contrary, it is a big thing that I have noticed that I have more growth to improve.

- It didn't go so well back in the time of the GP series, but at the World Championships it was well restored.

- At the beginning of the season, I was not used to the new coaches, so when I looked back at the link side coaches in the game, I felt the strangeness that no one was standing there. I still felt like an adoptive child. The coaches were really kind and cherished, but I felt somewhat uncomfortable. But now, there is no such discomfort at all. It feels like I became a family. We call it "the family of the cricket club", but when I finished acting at this world championship and looked back, I was glad I thought that I could see the faces of the people I wanted to see all the time is. The cricket club's family is the best coach, friend and choreographer. It was really great that I was able to challenge the game with the support of my important friends.

- What kind of support did the Cricket Club family support?

- All the members became one big family and supported my heart. Every member is unique, and Jason is cheerful and positive, and Gabrielle Daleman, who always has high tension, is also fine. Even though it is fine, the content is Ekaterina Kurakova, who is also an interesting child. I also became friends with Lilian Binzari, the only figure skater in Moldova. Of course, the unit always stimulates us with great performances. There are a lot of different people at the Cricket Club, and they are linked by a strange sense of unity. I often go out together and support each other. It's a very warm place.

- You changed the short during the season and asked Misha Ge to choreograph.

- I was helped mentally by the addition of Misha to the coach and choreographer. I think that many people know that we have been getting along well since ancient times, but being able to relax and act can be because he is by his side. You will talk about something other than skating.

- I think that free tango was a new challenge.

- Tango music gives me passion and energy. I didn't really fit my short and changed it during the season, but Tango felt like I was fit. I think that there is a power in the tango that makes impossible possible. However, most of the tango exercises this season are on ice, so there was not much time to practice thoroughly from the floor dance. Next season, I'm planning to introduce new exercises outside the link to the program.

- In tango, you used to make a slightly brown nude makeup.

- I felt strange that the costume was black and the face was white, so I chose dark skin color. I wanted to try the darker skin color one more step, but I kept it aside.

Switch to vegan, mind is also positive
Without the makeup, "I loved myself as it is"

- You have moved to Canada, and the way you think is more positive than ever.

- I do not notice myself, but it would be nice if it were. However, I think that it is not an influence from the country of Canada but an individual thing. I am proud to be a Russian. So I think I've grown my own human part and I think it's going in the right direction.

- After moving to Canada, I heard that you changed you health management.

- Well, I made the choice to quit eating meat. I have not eaten meats and dairy products for more than two months. They don't impose strict rules on their own, they eat plenty of grains, nuts and olive oil. Thanks to that, I became very well. I feel that I have become more happy since I made a diet based on vegetable foods. I became able to be conscious of taking care of myself, taking care of my own reason, body, sport and surrounding environment.

- Does that mean you are a vegan? You used to love yogurt and chocolate before.

- Well, with regard to dairy products, I have not yet completely cut off, and sometimes I want sweet things. I do not know whether it is appropriate to call myself a vegan, but in Canada, there are specialty supermarkets for vegans, such as vegetable oil mayonnaise, and it is possible to live such life more easily. I did not overdo it suddenly and changed everything, I just changed my diet and it just meant that I was fit for myself. If this eating habit begins to go bad, I will return to my previous eating habit and I am not determined.

- What is the mental impact of choosing a vegan?

- It's true that things are easier in terms of heart. Weight control has been made much easier. Management of muscle mass and body fat percentage is important, but it is not just a diet that doesn't eat, it seems that you can manage correctly, and it also makes your mind stable.

- You used to have a lot of batch remakes before, but now it's a natural impression.

- That's right. For both makeup and manicure, the way of thinking has changed. I like myself now without makeup. People who say "It's beautiful without makeup" are coming out around us, and now I have confidence. I feel that it makes it easier to feel happy. Before, when I got up in the morning and looked at the mirror, I was looking for "Where is the foundation?" Now I simply went to the washstand, washed my face and cleaned my hair. "I don't have to make it today, but thanks to yesterday's holiday, I've been refreshing and having a beautiful face." Then I felt like it was long and thin, even the fingers that were complex. The complex disappears and flies away when people around me say happy words. If I had tenderness and a few compliments, I thought that people could do their best.

- It sounds like you have become really familiar with Canadian life. On the other hand, you are a pro-Japanese family, but what kind of places in Japan do you find interesting?

- It's a calm place. I think it is a place where there is order and a closeness. Everything is thorough and everything is done in an orderly and accurate manner.

- What is your plan after the World Championships?

- I'm going to stay in Japan for about 3 weeks, as I'm going to do some ice shows in Japan. If I had time I would like to go to Nagano again, it was a memorable place. I'm also interested in Mt. Fuji since I've never been there. I have a desire to climb, but I will not climb unless someone takes me (laughs). Japan is a wonderful country, and I have a wonderful experience every time I come to Japan. I'll continue to do my best.

Interviewed at the World Championships in March 2019

https://global.canon/ja/event/skating/interview/2018_2019/medvedeva.html

1 hour ago, anski said:

It’s sad that Evgenia still thinks of her diet in terms of weight :( 

I believe as an athlete, to be on constant diet is a part of the deal and it is just a everyday thing to consider. Boxers go through strict diet in order to stay in a certain weight range. So when athletes talk about their "diet", it is slightly different from what we non-athletes talk about losing weight by dieting. It's more overall of how much protein they need to eat in order to control muscle mass and what type of diet is more effective and so on. Skaters need to be careful on weight gain especially if they jump 3/4 revolutions jumps as increased body weight would add more impact on their legs/ankles.

I didn't feel any regret or desperation from Zhenya on the diet in the interview. She looks much happier and more confident. I'm really happy for her that she'd decided to go to TCC. 

And when I think of Yuzu and his "diet", I realise he really is an out of space alien who is not bound by many earthly restrictions...

33 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I believe as an athlete, to be on constant diet is a part of the deal and it is just a everyday thing to consider. Boxers go through strict diet in order to stay in a certain weight range. So when athletes talk about their "diet", it is slightly different from what we non-athletes talk about losing weight by dieting. It's more overall of how much protein they need to eat in order to control muscle mass and what type of diet is more effective and so on. Skaters need to be careful on weight gain especially if they jump 3/4 revolutions jumps as increased body weight would add more impact on their legs/ankles.

I didn't feel any regret or desperation from Zhenya on the diet in the interview. She looks much happier and more confident. I'm really happy for her that she'd decided to go to TCC. 

And when I think of Yuzu and his "diet", I realise he really is an out of space alien who is not bound by many earthly restrictions...

Yeah, but in Zhenya’s case I don’t think it’s just an athlete taking care of their diet. Back when she was with Eteri she had a very complicated relationship with food and body image and she’s opened up about it in the past. In that documentary they made of Alina and Zhenya for Russian TV both girls seemed to be very obsessed with their weight and weigh-ins and Zhenya almost panicked because she thought they were going to film her weight on the scale. So in Zhenya’s case I do worry whenever she talks about her diet in terms of weight