Music talk

On 2.07.2017 at 2:23 PM, kaeryth said:

:offtopic:

Fun fact: Takeshi Honda trained in Sendai and was the first male skater from Japan to medal at the World Championships (2002) since Minoru Sano (1977). Minoru Sano used to coach Shizuka Arakawa.... There's really something special in Sendai it seems.. :dancingpooh:

It's the water...or maybe that meat dish Shizuka mentioned at the monument uncovering ceremony... also apparently during Yuzu's mushroom time, he had a chance to skate with Honda on the same rink, though they haven't really talked...

12 hours ago, Yuzu Beloved Angel said:

It has already been posted here, but this is my favorite version. It would be epic. I would love this song so much for your FS.

I want him to do this one too...especially the "Now we are free" part...

• 2 weeks later...

You know what I would love to see Yuzuru skate to? Janny Mendelssohn's Das Jahr. Imo one of the greatest and most underrated pieces, ever. I always thought this suite is perhaps too abstract, too free to be skated to, but Hope and Legacy last year, and the way everything just flows, and his delicacy, I would love to see how Yuzuru put together a program to this

Just realised that both pieces of music for Yuzu's last two and most amazing free skates are tied to the Nagano Olympics.

Sukeyasu Shiba, the man who played the flute on the Onmyouji soundtrack, played the national anthem as part of a gagaku orchestra:

Joe Hisaishi played Asian Dream Song for the Paralympics:

I really hope he goes for more Japanese music this season.

6 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Just realised that both pieces of music for Yuzu's last two and most amazing free skates are tied to the Nagano Olympics.

He spoke about it in ISU interview :

"The music of my free skate was composed by a Japanese composer, if I go deep into the story behind the music, it was actually the opening song of 1998 Nagano Paralympics. My mom watched the Nagano Olympics and Paralympics, and then she wanted my elder sister to skate, so she took her to skating class. If you think about it, those Olympics were the starting point of my skating life, so I want to use this piece of music. Also, as I mentioned, it was composed by a Japanese composer, so I think I can continue to present something I’ve learned from “SEIMEI”.

The whole interview here (other Japanese skaters too) http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/news/2017/02/feature-teamjapan

3 minutes ago, Lyyli said:

He spoke about it in ISU interview :

"The music of my free skate was composed by a Japanese composer, if I go deep into the story behind the music, it was actually the opening song of 1998 Nagano Paralympics. My mom watched the Nagano Olympics and Paralympics, and then she wanted my elder sister to skate, so she took her to skating class. If you think about it, those Olympics were the starting point of my skating life, so I want to use this piece of music. Also, as I mentioned, it was composed by a Japanese composer, so I think I can continue to present something I’ve learned from “SEIMEI”.

The whole interview here (other Japanese skaters too) http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/news/2017/02/feature-teamjapan

That's where I found out about the Hisaishi music but didn't put two and two together with Mr Shiba, though I'm sure that part is just coincidence. 

On 6/23/2017 at 3:01 AM, Sombreuil said:

@Lyyli- that must have taken ages to sort out of the GS thread- thank you.  Maybe I'll get my Edward Scissorhands/ Danny Elfmann programme if there's any truth in the twitter rumour.

On 6/23/2017 at 3:01 AM, Sombreuil said:

So as the August OP day draws nearer and nearer I looked through the list of guesses and re-listened to some of them and trying to imagine what would fit Yuzu well and Edward Scissorhand OST really hit home with me! 

Edward Scissorshand OST gives a very distinct "winter" feeling which I think will be great for figureskating (he can literally do "ice" dance lol) which is one reason why I think this program can work for him, but mostly I think it can be an awesome match for Yuzu which may bring out something incredible in him because Yuzu often feels a strong connection portraying tragic yet romantic characters such as Romeo and Phantom (rewatching his 2015 WTT where he said bye bye to Christine really touched me because he was so in character...and need we mention 2012 WC Romeo again ?:bow: )so it will help him achieve another dramatic and wear-his-heart-on-his sleeve type of epic performance I think. The only other occasions where he feels more connected to his music, of course, is with Japanese music, so Seimei 2.0 still looking likely... But even if he doesn't skate to Edward Scissorshand theme this season, I would like to see him skate to it later! 

P.S. Another song that I think is dramatic

And extra and has very fitting lyric that can suit Yuzu to skate to at the Olympic is This Is the Moment from Jekyll and Hyde

("This is the moment!
This is the day,
When I send all my doubts and demons
On their way!

Every endeavor,
I have made - ever -
Is coming into play,
Is here and now - today!

This is the moment -
My final test -
Destiny beckoned,
I never reckoned,
Second Best! <- lol

I won't look down,
I must not fall!
This is the moment,
The sweetest moment of them all!”)

...but then again, that endeavor has a tragic end, so maybe not haha

I was on the main thread talking about the possibility of PotO being reused and criticising the dopey lovers when another tortured anti hero with good dramatic music and a pair of irritating lovebirds occurred to me- what do you think of Sweeney Todd- it would certainly be a contrast to Chopin!

15 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I was on the main thread talking about the possibility of PotO being reused and criticising the dopey lovers when another tortured anti hero with good dramatic music and a pair of irritating lovebirds occurred to me- what do you think of Sweeney Todd- it would certainly be a contrast to Chopin!

I am all PotO-ed out for absolutely everyone, not just Yuzuru! :13877886:

But ST would be nice. And rare. I think I have a vague memory of someone using the Barber and his Wife once upon a time but that's that.

I was listening to Jeff Buckley the day before I heard about P-chan's boring, boring FS music (Jeff Buckley is my one and only but please, no more Hallelujah.) and thinking I'd love Yuzu to skate to something by him. 

Also, if R+J3.0, Radiohead, please. 

Warning: do not listen if depressed.

9 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

I am all PotO-ed out for absolutely everyone, not just Yuzuru! :13877886:

But ST would be nice. And rare. I think I have a vague memory of someone using the Barber and his Wife once upon a time but that's that.

I had 'Epiphany' or 'A little priest' in mind - cut with some of the opening and incidental music.  I much prefer Sondheim to Lloyd Webber.  

I almost put this in the post about PotO on the main thread but didn't and now I'm glad- I've woken up to a frenzy of reaction over there- we are all badly in need of some real news !

52 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I had 'Epiphany' or 'A little priest' in mind - cut with some of the opening and incidental music.  I much prefer Sondheim to Lloyd Webber.  

I almost put this in the post about PotO on the main thread but didn't and now I'm glad- I've woken up to a frenzy of reaction over there- we are all badly in need of some real news !

Epiphany would be epic ... and not the movie version please :tumblr_inline_nhr8g2EOKg1qid2nw:

I don't understand why everyone seems to default to film scores for musicals when there are recordings of stage versions with usually better (though less photogenic) singers.