Team Japan

52 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

I think this is a great place to ask this question.

I've just recently watch Rika Hongo's Riverdance. That was awesome!

How is she not a top contender anymore? What happen? 

She was battling a bone injury, I think. Adding to that, she sort of got destroyed at Skate Canada 2016; basically skated a clean FS but when the scores came up, she had been given underrotations on basically all her jump passes. I think that might have taken its toll on her mentally as well. 

4 hours ago, xeyra said:

She was battling a bone injury, I think. Adding to that, she sort of got destroyed at Skate Canada 2016; basically skated a clean FS but when the scores came up, she had been given underrotations on basically all her jump passes. I think that might have taken its toll on her mentally as well. 

I see... that sucks. She was good:tumblr_inline_mfy930ntA01qid2nw:

Anyway, :thanks: for answering!

13 hours ago, xeyra said:

That's really sad, when one competition screws you over mentally.

Thinking of 2016 Worlds for Gracie Gold...yeah, I kinda miss her.:offtopic:

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

That's really sad, when one competition screws you over mentally.

Thinking of 2016 Worlds for Gracie Gold...yeah, I kinda miss her.:offtopic:

Well, I'm just speculating it might have taken a toll on her, considering, but it may have been only her injury that prevented her from doing better last season. But I did watch that SC competition recently and I confess I felt a little revolted on her behalf because I don't actually think she UR'ed that many jumps. 

Just now, xeyra said:

Well, I'm just speculating it might have taken a toll on her, considering, but it may have been only her injury that prevented her from doing better last season. But I did watch that SC competition recently and I confess I felt a little revolted on her behalf because I don't actually think she UR'ed that many jumps. 

Wasn't that the competition that screwed over Satoko with that invalidated step seq? And Yuzu too? I guess Skate Canada had both Patrick and, to an even greater extent that season, Kaetlyn to promote.

7 minutes ago, xeyra said:

There was a lot of crap happening at SC 2016. I mean, Satoko's FS StSq was invalidated(???) and received 0 pts.  Another reason might be she competed during Mao's comeback and with a very consistent Satoko. She also had a disadvantage in her skating style. You can hear a lot of commentators saying... Oh she's not as graceful as Mao or as polished as Satoko.

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

There was a lot of crap happening at SC 2016. I mean, Satoko's FS StSq was invalidated(???) and received 0 pts.  Another reason might be she competed during Mao's comeback and with a very consistent Satoko. She also had a disadvantage in her skating style. You can hear a lot of commentators saying... Oh she's not as graceful as Mao or as polished as Satoko.

Definitely not on the level of Mao yet (my opinion on Satoko is a little deviating from the general consensus), but Rika has the potentials and was a joy to watch. I hope she comes back. Although then, I don't know. The Japanese ladies selection into the Olympics is already as tough as it is.:59227c768286a__s:

ETA: I am baby pooh!:offtopic:

51 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

Definitely not on the level of Mao yet (my opinion on Satoko is a little deviating from the general consensus), but Rika has the potentials and was a joy to watch. I hope she comes back. Although then, I don't know. The Japanese ladies selection into the Olympics is already as tough as it is.:59227c768286a__s:

ETA: I am baby pooh!:offtopic:

I am resigned to the fact that I will cry for at least 3 japanese ladies after the bloodbath nationals.Speaking of which, will japan compete in the team competition at Olympics? That could be an even worse hit for whomever has to do the FS portion. 

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

I am resigned to the fact that I will cry for at least 3 japanese ladies after the bloodbath nationals.Speaking of which, will japan compete in the team competition at Olympics? That could be an even worse hit for whomever has to do the FS portion. 

If dance and pairs can both get a spot at Nebelhorn.

2 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

If dance and pairs can both get a spot at Nebelhorn.

They only need one of those to get a spot. The missing discipline will get to participate in the Team Event only, by default, provided they meet the minimums. 

2 minutes ago, xeyra said:

They only need one of those to get a spot. The missing discipline will get to participate in the Team Event only, by default, provided they meet the minimums. 

Aaah... I hate all these rules. How do you remember? hahaha... So the burden is gonna be on Muramoto/Reed I guess?

21 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Aaah... I hate all these rules. How do you remember? hahaha... So the burden is gonna be on Muramoto/Reed I guess?

They can get the spot, I think. I trust them to do so. I'm more worried if Japan will actually have a Pairs team with minimums to participate in the Team Event because their current best has citizenship issues since Francis is not Japanese and won't be able to go anyway.