2 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Oops.

I remember something about him advancing through the ranks too quickly and winning the necessary position to be invited to junior/senior level, but being too young to actually qualify. I must have mixed it all up.

That would local JPN competitions. If you win at novice you get invited in junior competitions. Same goes if you win at junior competitions you get invited at senior competitions. He had won silver at JR Nats as a novice but since he's a novice, he couldn't compete at senior levels.

1 minute ago, kaeryth said:

That would local JPN competitions. If you win at novice you get invited in junior competitions. Same goes if you win at junior competitions you get invited at senior competitions. He had won silver at JR Nats as a novice but since he's a novice, he couldn't compete at senior levels.

Ah, that's what I'm thinking of.

Not even about videos and still you come up with the goods.

:bow:

Just now, WinForPooh said:

Oops.

I remember something about him advancing through the ranks too quickly and winning the necessary position to be invited to junior/senior level, but being too young to actually qualify. I must have mixed it all up.

Yeah, a bit of mixup, it happened but at national level. 

9 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Not to be rude, but what everybody is saying is that it is far too early to consider anybody as a possible podium contender in 2022, because four years is a VERY LONG TIME in ladies' figure skating. Nobody is actually looking for the queen of 2022 right now.

March 2015 - "omg, LizaT broke Mao's SP tes record! She will win in 2018 with her 3A!"

December 2015 - "we'll see Polina vs Zhenya showdown in 2018!"

March 2016 - "Marin Honda will become rival for Zhenya and other Russian girls in 2018"

April 2017 - "Zhenya has broken her WRs in N-th time. That's your Olympic champion"

This goes on and on :tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:

Junior Ladies...

Have we forgotten Elena Radionova vs Serafima Sakhanovich vs Evgenia Medvedeva back in their junior years? Then, out of those 3, the first 2 were way better in everything than Medvedeva, and look at where we are now.

Too early to predict anything for Junior skaters, especially the ladies.

Just because the pattern in the Senior seems to hold up (as already argued by multiple people who have been watching FS for far longer than I've been aware of the sport's existence), doesn't mean there is even a pattern to see in the Junior.

I never watched Juniors before this season, but I'm refusing to get invested in any of them for many of the reasons stated above.  It's hard enough with the seniors.

Just now, Sombreuil said:

I never watched Juniors before this season, but I'm refusing to get invested in any of them for many of the reasons stated above.  It's hard enough with the seniors.

This is why I never watch Juniors.... Until this season because there was just too much information regarding juniors and how good and deep the field is at the moment. Well, now I'm attached to Anastasia Tarakanova (who i feel was robbed recently at RusNats Junior Championship).

5 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

This is why I never watch Juniors.... Until this season because there was just too much information regarding juniors and how good and deep the field is at the moment. Well, now I'm attached to Anastasia Tarakanova (who i feel was robbed recently at RusNats Junior Championship).

She is compelling to watch. 

Edited because word vomit that was inaccurate.

I sure hope there won't be a "next queen" at all and that those girls will grow up to be amazing skaters that can push each other to greater heights. FS is a competition not a coronation and it is much better to have a number of skaters battling it out that one dominating queen. Also, as many have mentioned already, these juniors (boys and girls) are all still young and we have no idea what the end result of their growth is going to be, so predicting anything about their future is really not possible and I personally have decided not to invest in any junior for this reason, I don't won't the heart break :noshake:

For all we know, by 2022 there will be a new young wonder who will push all those girls aside and win the gold like Alina did :shrug:

I watch jrs to at least who is coming up in the ranks haha its more fun that way. I was unaware of alina Z becuz i didnt watch jr worlds in 2017. 

And speaking of Radionova i hav never seen a less awkward posture jump and upper body movement. I really disliked her skating style.. No offense.. The one skater who I truly disliked. 

6 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I sure hope there won't be a "next queen" at all and that those girls will grow up to be amazing skaters that can push each other to greater heights. FS is a competition not a coronation and it is much better to have a number of skaters battling it out that one dominating queen. Also, as many have mentioned already, these juniors (boys and girls) are all still young and we have no idea what the end result of their growth is going to be, so predicting anything about their future is really not possible and I personally have decided not to invest in any junior for this reason, I don't won't the heart break :noshake:

For all we know, by 2022 there will be a new young wonder who will push all those girls aside and win the gold like Alina did :shrug:

We never knw. Yuzu popped out of nowhere in Japan like a miracle haha. I reckon sometimes miracle talents do pop out of nowhere born to become legend.

10 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I couldn't agree more - it's the thing that I've never liked about the ladies singles - the need to have one perfect person and fight everyone else on their behalf a la Kim v Asada.  It was always a thing with the US press over US ladies, and I associate it with all sorts of prejudice from body type to racial bias.  

21 minutes ago, Neenah said:

It's so smart not to get invested, you and @Sombreuil. That was my plan, too. But you see, I saw Rika K's 3A, and then I saw her 3A-3T, and if I'm a sucker for 3A, I'm a goner for 3A-3T. And then she did a 3-3-2 and there was no hope for me. There are more Japanese juniors with potential 3As, it's so difficult to remind myself that 3As don't always last for them.

But I would appreciate it so much if there could be slightly less pink or at least less violent pink, and fewer of such huge pieces of music for her. 

8 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

It's so smart not to get invested, you and @Sombreuil. That was my plan, too. But you see, I saw Rika K's 3A, and then I saw her 3A-3T, and if I'm a sucker for 3A, I'm a goner for 3A-3T. And then she did a 3-3-2 and there was no hope for me. There are more Japanese juniors with potential 3As, it's so difficult to remind myself that 3As don't always last for them.

But I would appreciate it so much if there could be slightly less pink or at least less violent pink, and fewer of such huge pieces of music for her. 

I fell in love with Kihiras Kungfu piano.

The music was perfect fit. And that 3a was way better than Maos. So she took me haha 

She is my new fave japan lady skater

Taking these topics from the General Yuzu thread.

6 hours ago, ClarissaH said:

I feel like limiting the number of quads someone can attempt isn't a good route to take because, in a way, it devolves the sport. This is probably a bit of an unpopular opinion but I feel like technical components and the quality of them is more important than the artistic components, however I am not saying artistry shouldn't be reward I'm just saying that walking back technical achievements to cater to artistry is a destructive move for a SPORT. Figure Skating is a sport and skill and athletic ability should be rewarded and not limited. The biggest reason I've seen from people who don't like figure skating is that the rewards for the artistic components are very subjective. While there will always be subjective elements to figure skating, the closer the sport gets to objectivity, the better.

What about the technical components hidden in the artistic components such as skating skills and transitions? These are skating fundamentals that are the foundation for skating technique so shouldn't they be just as important or more important as the jumps? In dance, you do not move to the fancy jumps until you master the basics because without the basics you won't be able to do the fancy jumps properly. Isn't it the same in skating? Without the skating skills, how do you enter a jump and land a jump properly with a running edge?

6 hours ago, cinemacoconut said:

As for Zagitova I think the choreographer was the problem rather than Alina. Alina has nice lines and has really good upper body expression when you see her other programs. She may not be an artistic skater but she is well rounded and not just a jumping bean imo

What "other programs" please? It's an honest question. Would love to see where she has good upper body expression. Caveat: I didn't see the tiger suit ex. It scares me. But from what I've seen don't even get me started on her sloppy upper body movement :drama: She flaps her arms haphazardly without any intention. Arm movements should be controlled as though moving through water. Someone said her arm movements were balletic with flamenco influence and I got insulted on behalf of ballet and flamenco dancers.

3 minutes ago, Fresca said:

What about the technical components hidden in the artistic components such as skating skills and transitions? These are skating fundamentals that are the foundation for skating technique so shouldn't they be just as important or more important as the jumps? In dance, you do not move to the fancy jumps until you master the basics because without the basics you won't be able to do the fancy jumps properly. Isn't it the same in skating? Without the skating skills, how do you enter a jump and land a jump properly with a running edge?

What "other programs" please? It's an honest question. Would love to see where she has good upper body expression. Caveat: I didn't see the tiger suit ex. It scares me. But from what I've seen don't even get me started on her sloppy upper body movement :drama: She flaps her arms haphazardly without any intention. Arm movements should be controlled as though moving through water. Someone said her arm movements were balletic with flamenco influence and I got insulted on behalf of ballet and flamenco dancers.

She is not a stiff girl like Radionova is what I mean. See her jr programs. She has innate musicality. Her choreographers are to blame for a jampacked program. 

5 minutes ago, Fresca said:

I strongly agree we shld give more points for fluidity of skating and speed of skating!!