Newbies Skating Chat & Questions

This thread is the newbie version of the general skating chat! If you feel like you want to discuss things but you don't feel confident about your skating knowledge yet, or if you have any questions you've always wanted to ask about anything skating-related (I know I do), let's discuss here :laughing:

(Of course, you can ask relevant questions anywhere, but this is an expectations-and-judgment free zone :tumblr_inline_n2pjcy6tMv1qdlkyg:)

21 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Thank you, I was looking for the appropriate thread to post this question and I think this is it.

it is about this tweet, can someone explain what he meant by "Positioning his blade's edge back into the middle" and why it had caused him pain before?

There was a documentary on him not long ago where they showed how his blades were set on his boots off-center to help his take off for the 4Lo:

While it was helpful for that, changing the position of the blade affects everything else, too: balance, alignment, etc. That's probably why it ended up being a problem.

12 minutes ago, Valkyria said:

There was a documentary on him not long ago where they showed how his blades were set on his boots off-center to help his take off for the 4Lo:

While it was helpful for that, changing the position of the blade affects everything else, too: balance, alignment, etc. That's probably why it ended up being a problem.

Thank you for the video :thanks:

Is this a normal thing that skaters do? it does not look good for the ankle at all

25 minutes ago, Valkyria said:

Thanks for the quick response, I didn't know this was something people ever did...wow. Ouch!!

9 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Thank you for the video :thanks:

Is this a normal thing that skaters do? it does not look good for the ankle at all

Each skater will position their blades where it's most comfortable for them, that's normal. Changing their usual spot because of one jump at the risk of interfering with everything else... maybe not so much. In this case, Shoma saw a shortcut to stabilize the 4Lo quickly and took it, but has to change back because it was causing pain. It probably wasn't meant to be a long-term solution anyway, and now that he's got the feeling of the jump and more time to train it, maybe he's ready to stop using the blade positioning as a crutch *shrugs*

But as @yuzuangel said: ouch. His landings can be pretty scary already, but when you realize that he had to compensate for the blades on top of that... :slinkaway:

On 7/21/2017 at 4:32 AM, Valkyria said:

Each skater will position their blades where it's most comfortable for them, that's normal. Changing their usual spot because of one jump at the risk of interfering with everything else... maybe not so much. In this case, Shoma saw a shortcut to stabilize the 4Lo quickly and took it, but has to change back because it was causing pain. It probably wasn't meant to be a long-term solution anyway, and now that he's got the feeling of the jump and more time to train it, maybe he's ready to stop using the blade positioning as a crutch *shrugs*

But as @yuzuangel said: ouch. His landings can be pretty scary already, but when you realize that he had to compensate for the blades on top of that... :slinkaway:

I do not think of any other skater to change their blade just for one jump. They're sane enough to know that they need a healthy body for all jumps.

About spin and step sequence levels...

I know spin levels are determined by things like number of rotations & different positions hit. For something like the Biellmann I know Yuzu holds it for 3 rotations.

And step sequence levels are determined by things like number of difficult steps like choctaws, twizzles, etc.

If you need X number of rotations/Y number of steps, why don't skaters just plan for, say, X+1 rotations of a position or Y+1 steps so if they miss one they can still get Level 4's and be safe? It's not like the free skate is so short that there's no time for even one extra spin rotation. Is it because of stamina?

Speaking of which, can someone point me to the exact moment here when Yuna missed her choctaw (which turned into a mohawk) and because of that lost levels in her step sequence? Thank you :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw: :thanks:

On 21/7/2017 at 3:56 AM, Valkyria said:

I noticed at 20:24 Yuzu said "Maybe like an axel... then like a salchow" and feel like he described about Shoma's 4F :animated-smileys-animals-047: (what he said about for sure i wonder?)

• 1 year later...

Wasn't sure where else to post this, so I'm reviving this thread!   :D  I'm seriously considering starting skating, but I'm not quite sure how to start.  Some questions:

If you're starting from scratch (like me), is it best to take group classes?

Should I rent skates for a while or buy skates right off the bat?  I've read that rentals can hold you back, but you should only buy if you're committed.

How much do private lessons generally cost?  I'm thinking I would do that after Adult 1-6.

About how much should I expect to budget overall for skating?

I'm thinking about starting a class this fall and seeing how it goes.  Unfortunately I'd probably only be able to go on the weekends, but I might be able to fit in a couple of extra days here and there.  

Thanks for your help!  :thanks:

3 hours ago, Coquelicot said:

Wasn't sure where else to post this, so I'm reviving this thread!   :D  I'm seriously considering starting skating, but I'm not quite sure how to start.  Some questions:

Should I rent skates for a while or buy skates right off the bat?  I've read that rentals can hold you back, but you should only buy if you're committed.

How much do private lessons generally cost?  I'm thinking I would do that after Adult 1-6.

I'm thinking about starting a class this fall and seeing how it goes.  Unfortunately I'd probably only be able to go on the weekends, but I might be able to fit in a couple of extra days here and there.  

Thanks for your help!  :thanks:

Good questions!!

Definitely take group lessons - they're cheaper and you learn a lot if you're just starting to skate. They'll teach you how to glide and stop and how to fall and get up. You can even learn your basic turns like mohawks and 3-turns, and maybe waltz jumps and two-foot spins in group lessons. Definitely try out different coaches if you want to go private. Coaches have different coaching styles and so you don't know which ones you work best with!

Should I rent skates for a while or buy skates right off the bat?

I'd try a couple lessons in rentals just so you know you actually want to skate. But your feet will probably hurt as rental skates aren't padded at all and probably don't fit well. Make sure to tie them really tightly because loose boots cause injuries. Then maybe ask your coach what level of skates you should get, they might be able to recommend something to you better. (Also @robin and @axelnojutsu and other adult skaters can maybe tell you more about boots because I actually never did much research into mine :13877886:)

How much do private lessons generally cost?

It depends on where you live, but usually something like $50 for half hour in the US. 

Depends on how much you skate and how many lessons you take! If you go to freestyle sessions they're usually less crowded but more expensive, like ~$15/hour usually. Public sessions are cheaper because you can pay ~$10 or so and go in for 3 hours but they're usually more crowded, and people aren't good at skating or stopping haha. 

Hope this helps! Skating is very fun! And you should join us over at the Skating on the Planet thread!