General Yuzuru Chat

Just now, Xen said:

Is your name Philadora  Hershey? 

No but some of this stuff sounds familiar... I had a bad day today and i only consumed 132 calories that kept me going from 9am until 5:30pm so i came home with a terrible headache and i literally swallowed a piece of pound cake with raisins while looking at May+June on my big 2018 Yuzu calendar...

And my big ass Seimei canvas is in front of my bed where my Pooh is tucked in....

43 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

*nods* That's right. The truth is, we won't ever know. Much like life itself, there are never any guarantees to these things. Which is why this whole thing is so exciting in the first place. The possibilities are both anxiety-inducing and exhilarating. Usually at the same time. Not the kinda stimulation anyone would recommend for heart patients.

Since it can go either way whichever path he picks, using the brain is moot. Which leaves the only thing for Hanyu himself to do is to go for what his heart tells him. He's actually basically doing the same thing everybody's doing. Staying within his comfort zone. It's just that his definition of it is...slightly...different. 

If he skated to his 2015/2016 layout, there's a very decent chance he'll be able to skate clean. That much is true. But very decent isn't a guarantee and on a less good day, he could still very well make mistakes on triples. And the fact that the challenge is less would mean his brain would be both warring with itself *and* his heart and for Yuzuru Hanyu, that's a one-way ticket to implosion, high difficulty or no high difficulty. So it's not like taking the easier path would be the no-brainer of a solution for him like it would be for most others.

Either way he picks, there's always going to be a huge risk involved but based on his pattern in past competitions, his successes seem to be more skewed towards when he challenges himself (i.e.: his comfort zone). His brain is going to make noise either way but this way, at least it would be warring with only itself since his heart is appeased. Like @KatjaThera said, it's not a matter of whether or not he can do it. He can. But whether or not he'll be able to do it at the time he prefers, well that's another thing altogether. 

People like to say he has a choice, but looking at it from this perspective, the choice he has made, has always made, is the only one he ever could. His very character dictates that if he wants to win, the only way he's always done it is the only way he can pick to do it. With this injury, perhaps he'll feel another path is now open to him but we won't know until he comes back.

That's the one thing I think commentators overlook -- that for Yuzu, his 'comfort zone' is taking the risky path and pushing himself to the edge, gambling with a huge success or loss. The bigger risk for his heart and mentality is actually to hold back. That's why when he succeeds, it's always convincing, it's always something you know is the absolute limit of what he can do at that point in time. He doesn't hold back for the sake of a medal or even for a clean skate, it's a very uncompromising 'all or nothing' mentality that is often needed for greatness. But it's obviously, the part where he gambles on being able to show his best self at the right time.

If this was 19yr old Yuzu in the same situation, I'm almost certain he'd be gunning for 4Lz no matter what (Mr 'still put in choreographed 4S fall at Sochi'). I wonder if age and his new position now (and the desire to go clean) may have mellowed him out, made him slightly more risk adverse and/or receptive to others' opinions that may sway him. It's a natural thing to happen with maturity, though I do wonder how much of this whole 'challenger' mentality is less about youth and actually just one of the core 'essences' of who he is. If it's the latter, too many people persuading him to take a different path may cause the war of hearts that you mention. The difference is also with how badly he wants the OGM and how badly he wants a clean OGM which I think will affect his mentality (as we saw in WTT...wanting it too much and not being able to relax is usually how he tends to make mistakes).

Well. Just massive speculation. Let's just hope he recovers well for now. 

5 minutes ago, kaerb said:

That's the one thing I think commentators overlook -- that for Yuzu, his 'comfort zone' is taking the risky path and pushing himself to the edge, gambling with a huge success or loss. The bigger risk for his heart and mentality is actually to hold back. That's why when he succeeds, it's always convincing, it's always something you know is the absolute limit of what he can do at that point in time. He doesn't hold back for the sake of a medal or even for a clean skate, it's a very uncompromising 'all or nothing' mentality that is often needed for greatness. But it's obviously, the part where he gambles on being able to show his best self at the right time.

If this was 19yr old Yuzu in the same situation, I'm almost certain he'd be gunning for 4Lz no matter what (Mr 'still put in choreographed 4S fall at Sochi'). I wonder if age and his new position now (and the desire to go clean) may have mellowed him out, made him slightly more risk adverse and/or receptive to others' opinions that may sway him. It's a natural thing to happen with maturity, though I do wonder how much of this whole 'challenger' mentality is less about youth and actually just one of the core 'essences' of who he is. If it's the latter, too many people persuading him to take a different path may cause the war of hearts that you mention. The difference is also with how badly he wants the OGM and how badly he wants a clean OGM which I think will affect his mentality (as we saw in WTT...wanting it too much and not being able to relax is usually how he tends to make mistakes).

His core essence, to challenge new limits is what defines him, and his primary motivation. To slow down would lead to an existential crisis in him. 

27 分, katoniceさんが言いました:

And P&G takes the cake for things you do when you miss Yuzu...:laughing:

Well, they do always say he's too good to be existing on the three dimensional plane...(his colors look

washed out though)

28 分, kaerbさんが言いました:

He does take life experiences into careful consideration. The choices he made back then was based on both who he was at heart and the experiences he's had up to then. The choices he makes now will be based on both the wider breadth of experiences he's had since (and will continue to have right up until his name is called at the Olys) and who he still is at heart.

There may be some suggestions he'll accept as sound advice from those he recognizes as knowing better based on their own experiences (and sharing wisdom he's gained from his own experiences *is* something he hopes to perhaps make a career out of himself someday, might I add) but ultimately, he'll walk the path that leaves him with zero regrets because he's proven to be the sort who's incapable of lying to himself when it comes to the big picture. Of that, I have absolutely no doubt. And so long as he keeps being this way, whatever the results are from here on out, he'll always have my support. (:

41 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Well, they do always say he's too good to be existing on the three dimensional plane...(his colors look

washed out though)

He does take life experiences into careful consideration. The choices he made back then was based on both who he was at heart and the experiences he's had up to then. The choices he makes now will be based on both the wider breadth of experiences he's had since (and will continue to have right up until his name is called at the Olys) and who he still is at heart.

There may be some suggestions he'll accept as sound advice from those he recognizes as knowing better based on their own experiences (and sharing wisdom he's gained from his own experiences *is* something he hopes to perhaps make a career out of himself someday, might I add) but ultimately, he'll walk the path that leaves him with zero regrets because he's proven to be the sort who's incapable of lying to himself when it comes to the big picture. Of that, I have absolutely no doubt. And so long as he keeps being this way, whatever the results are from here on out, he'll always have my support. (:

My theory is that Yuzu wants mastery of figure skating, his goal is mastery, not medals. Medals simply are a measurement of how far along he is, an external validation tool to verify his internal bemchmarks and estimations. This mastery goal is in turn, what drives his will to steamroll on, why he decided he must do the 4lz, why he will do the 4A, and possibly 4-4 and even 4flip someday. To do less is not mastery. And where the limit is, is always a question.

Edit: to me, this is what makes him the GOAT. Many have considered it, few if any have the guts to try to obtain mastery. And of those, even less have made so much progress. It is not a goal that a less crazy driven mind would consider, as such a person would despair at the challenge before it. But a truly wise and brave one, like his, would accept the challenge as a journey. And we are really fortunate to live in the same time period as him.