General Yuzuru Chat

30 minutes ago, ruruzest said:

This is so sweet , the inspiration for next generations ,...:sadPooh:

When the motivation to become a great skater like Yuzu is to get lots and lots and lots of Pooh bears :dancingpooh:

21 минуту назад, Murieleirum сказал:

AWWWWW 

I and girls from Russian VK group had a banner in front of us, I think he saw it from the glass door already and was a little embarrassed :smiley-love017: even though we were a little sad about 2 place (not about the performance - the screams after 4Lz:goe:), to be able to pass our support, gratitude and love somewhow was a highlight of the day (so we said "Yuzu, thank you!" in Russian)

Trivial observation - I think his Pooh bear haul this time is the greatest since 2015 Worlds, proof that for event planners a priority must be to have as many flower girls and boys on hand as possible when Yuzu's competing.  It's times like this that I say the ice is breaking out with a yellow rash.

sorry but I need to get this off my chest

It's funny that Yuzuru is regarded by some as #The inconsistent male skater when he actually hasn't ended with bronze (or below!) since 2014...
In fact, since 2012, he's finished below 2nd place only 3 times: (bronze at Worlds 2012, and 4th at WC'13 and NHK '14 - this last one is, of course, justifiable since it took place right after CoC'14)

Meanwhile, let's compare it to the other top 5 guys... (Since 2012 only):
Javier (10 times): 9th at Worlds 2012, bronze at Worlds 2013 and 2014, 4th at Worlds 2017, 4th at GPF 2012 and 2016, 4th at NHK 2012, 5th at NHK 2013, bronze at CoR 2013 and Finlandia 2012

Patrick: (7 times): 5th at WC '16 and '17, 4th at 4CC 2017, 3rd, 4th and 5th at GPF '12, '15, '16, 5th at Bompard '15

Shoma: (7 times) 7th at WC 2016; 5th, 4th and 3rd at 4CC '15, '16 and '17; bronze at last two GPFs, 5th at US Classic 2015

Boyang: (5 times) 3rd at WC '16 and '17, 5th at 4CC '17, GPF '15 and Skate America 2016

Nathan: 6th at Worlds 2017, 4th at Trophee de France 2016

Not to mention that no other man has broken a World Record since 2013...

It's fine if Yuzu wants to improve his consistency or isn't satisfied with his performance -by his own standards-.

But it’s just unfair to push the narrative that someone who has been getting nothing but gold and silver for the past 3 seasons is somehow weaker than his rivals, and pick on his mistakes more strictly than anyone else's

not sure where to post this but there was a Chinese news headline that solely featured pooh rain XD

and comments were like: what's new... it's normal... XD Oh and the news said all are Japanese fans and comments included "what!! isn't it obvious most were Chinese fans?"  :laughing: really... the world needs to acknowledge that yuzu's fans are not all Japanese 

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av15575896/?from=search&seid=12769783409367531387

14 minutes ago, ICeleste said:

sorry but I need to get this off my chest

It's funny that Yuzuru is regarded by some as #The inconsistent male skater when he actually hasn't ended with bronze (or below!) since 2014...
In fact, since 2012, he's finished below 2nd place only 3 times: (bronze at Worlds 2012, and 4th at WC'13 and NHK '14 - this last one is, of course, justifiable since it took place right after CoC'14)

Meanwhile, let's compare it to the other top 5 guys... (Since 2012 only):
Javier (10 times): 9th at Worlds 2012, bronze at Worlds 2013 and 2014, 4th at Worlds 2017, 4th at GPF 2012 and 2016, 4th at NHK 2012, 5th at NHK 2013, bronze at CoR 2013 and Finlandia 2012

Patrick: (7 times): 5th at WC '16 and '17, 4th at 4CC 2017, 3rd, 4th and 5th at GPF '12, '15, '16, 5th at Bompard '15

Shoma: (7 times) 7th at WC 2016; 5th, 4th and 3rd at 4CC '15, '16 and '17; bronze at last two GPFs, 5th at US Classic 2015

Boyang: (5 times) 3rd at WC '16 and '17, 5th at 4CC '17, GPF '15 and Skate America 2016

Nathan: 6th at Worlds 2017, 4th at Trophee de France 2016

Not to mention that no other man has broken a World Record since 2013...

It's fine if Yuzu wants to improve his consistency or isn't satisfied with his performance -by his own standards-.

But it’s just unfair to push the narrative that someone who has been getting nothing but gold and silver for the past 3 seasons is somehow weaker than his rivals, and pick on his mistakes more strictly than anyone else's

Aside of the fact we might want to go for the quadsters' Junior comps to compare, even if there are slightly different requirements for those, to be fair to the uncles, I still have a masterpost-in-making, about how you cannot find a competition with Yuzuru taking part in it without him being somewhere on the podium photo basically since 2014, aside of COC (because he was in the damn HOSPITAL) and NHK '14 (self-explanatory). Though, if I am honest, I don't see, really don't see anything else you can stick to him for PR purposes, aside of consistency he himself has a problem with (as in, he's annoyed perfectionist that just recently discovered the mistake-is-a-human-thing quote).

Spoiler

Spins? Puh-lease, one of the best in the field (fluidity, variation, speed, name it).

SS? He, Patrick and Javi are the only ones you can't accuse of shallow edges more than what, once?twice a program? Contrary to the others...

Transitions? If you try to stick lack of them to him, Tracy will come to commentary box just to laugh in your face, in place of Jeff and Shae-Lynn.

Choreography? You do NOT fucking accuse choreography of Torino Bronze Medallist and former ice-dancer, regardless of your taste, of being empty or meaningless.

Jumps?

Best (and most CONSISTENT, while we are at it :biggrin:) axel in the world, confidence in 4T to try and jump it as the last jumping pass a'la anime, Lutz coming from heaven and trying to come back there, flip so crazy he needs distraction before it, Salchow as smooth as Javi's when he's on, Loop jumped from even harder double outside edge Because Why Not Be ExtraTM.  

TV persona? He's perfect mix of sportsman (ope-minded, well-spoken, confident in front of the big audience) and -while I hate to stereotypize- Japanese (polite, humble in healthy doses, always trying to smile and give his all attention to the question you pose in front of him).

You cannot be even shallow and accuse him of being always a cuteface/ugly, because he has both charming smile and murderface eternalized thanks to the photographers around him. Personality? Magical introvert getting along with everyone when he's with them but not necessarily seeking their attention (tbh, he would be suicidal to search even MORE attention...).

Brains? If you SERIOUSLY want to accuse him of being bad at learning just because he's not as fluent in English as Javi was after five years with Brian, you can, but then don't call yourself a journalist, because it's YOUR work, not his, to prove your point, and if you do not know he's a Waseda student and what THAT mean in Japan, then seriously, change the profession to somewhere where your knowledge isn't necessary a source of your earnings. McDonald's always need new cashiers.

Hiding, because it's a bit long and I'm ranting by the end at bad journalism, but the overal point is: if nothing that you stick stays, the only thing you can accuse him of is the thing he himself sees as an issue, even if any. Casual. Freaking. Viewer. Of the sport can see how "inconsistent" he talks about and "inconsistent" in the media narrative are two horses of different colors...

18 minutes ago, beki said:

Interesting. From a PR standpoint, maybe he should stop talking about inconsistency, even though we enjoy his honest insights. 

Will his perfectionist kuyashii self allow him to do so?  

Is the consistency he is talking about really the same consistency that the media is talking about though?