General Yuzuru Chat

Yuzu really could have an easier win if he didn't choose to challenge the hardest layouts he could have skated. I mean his classic Chopin at ACI proved this point. But the thing is Yuzu has won everything. He already had the OGM, Worlds, and GPF hanging on his neck. If he keeps doing the same thing, he would end up like Yuna who lost her motivation to compete after the Olympics. That's why I think he keeps challenging himself to keep having the motivation. For any other skaters, they still have something to look for, so challenging the FS elements won't be that important.

Sorry to offend some of u Americans here (if any) but those crappy news are just literally how Americans are. They like to make fun of people especially after they "prove" themselves as the best. And u know screaming they are cheated or the world being unfair or having 12367884422 excuses for losing. What's new :shrug:

Now, they can push the 'inconsistent' narratives on Yuzu. It's easy for them to overlook how many gold and silvers he had won in relation to the number of competitions he'd enter since senior. I try not to read or watch these narratives because I can be :salty: about it. 

But, I believe for many years to come and even long after he r*****s, people will always mention his name, remember the legend that is Hanyu Yuzuru. People will look back at his achievements and his contributions to the sports, even his popularity. We can tell our own narratives to the future generations.

Right now, I want to enjoy his skating and be part of his journey. They can laugh now, but we will have our turn. Yuzu will show them :darklordyuzu:  He will break another world records, it's just a matter of when :devilYuzu:

Q from foreign media: If you were to become any animal, what would you be?

A: A cat. They're extremely free and live freely, according to their own wishes. No matter how you put it, I'm also someone who has that sense. Rather than being like a cat, I think I just actually give off that feeling? 

I hope I got that right lol. I was just amused bc I think he's right but he's also waaaay too non-chill to be a cat 

I'm so angry at the insulting tweet and the targeting of Hanyu fans. And yet we're always the bad ones? This is also a narrative that is pushed and its getting tiring.

This is my pessimistic tirade of the day, so ignore:

I think another thing about the power of U.S. propaganda is that it's not only a big fed, but they are a top country that media plays in English which is a world language that is easy for all to see and many from around the world can understand. While the rest of us beg for Jpn>Eng translations from the Yuzu-centric Japanese media, and then its shared in the fan forums only. And that peeves me because they're pushing narratives that will be believed and people won't follow up to learn about clarifications. This is Olympic season, there WILL BE casual viewers who WILL BUY into the hype and nonsense. But still Yuzu fans politely and straightforwardly pointing out the wrong stuff or leaving more positive stuff for people who don't know anything, I think, is a good thing anyway. On another non-skating forum where there was a very recent Yuzu post, I saw some stranger who didn't follow fs say about Yuzu "Isn't he that boy who got into a personality controversy?" from a bullshit post during Worlds 2016, and someone nicely corrected the user that it was all bullshit which had been debunked long ago; of course, the user hadn't actually followed up back then and all this time believed the lies. Misinformation could have spread even further especially if there hadn't been recent corrections.

Sorry for the rant. One reason I actually care so much is because I'm American and from the U.S. and so I can't help seeing or hearing this stuff that angers me. :13877886:

If my non-fs-interested coworkers actually tune in for just the Winter Olympics and casually start repeating the bullshit :smiley-angry023:

And then there's the Japanese domestic propaganda that benefits no one which many of us can't do anything about:drama:

16 minutes ago, kaerb said:

A: A cat. They're extremely free and live freely, according to their own wishes. No matter how you put it, I'm also someone who has that sense. Rather than being like a cat, I think I just actually give off that feeling? 

I hope I got that right lol. I was just amused bc I think he's right but he's also waaaay too non-chill to be a cat 

Oh cats can be very high strung

12 minutes ago, kaerb said:

NEko Yuzu :laughing: The interviewer was a foreign media? Maybe it will be another segment for ISU's A Moment With? 

What I worry about is that the intensity of people's passion to defend Yuzu (sometimes unnecessarily) often causes more damage than good. I know it's frustrating but we will do much better if we are calm, firm and have sources to back up any arguments. Be clear about your objectives when you're interacting with a hater or with journalists. If they already seem set to hate him no matter what, don't waste your emotional energy on such people or upset yourself by getting into pointless fights. State your position, call out bad sportsmanship (a la CBC) or bad reporting but be specific about why it's bad, don't just insult people, esp journalists...who admittedly do have more power to influence coverage and TBH will take a v low view on fans who are just insulting them, whether their reporting is reasonable or not -- you're much more likely to get through if you can specifically point out how they screwed up.

At the end of the day, we cannot possibly hope to convert everyone into Yuzu fans nor hope that the media will do a 180 or suddenly become favourable to Yuzu (the US media have their own interests and narratives to sell, it's not surprising). Just take it as an inevitable part of figure skating - there will be many casual people tuning into the Olympics with no clue and yes, they're going to be mostly reading media from certain sources. As intl fans engaged with English media, trying to introduce some balance to hyperbolic headlines is the most we can do. And positivity by drawing attention to what a great skater and person Yuzu is will do much more to win fans to his side than angrily taking issue with every little slight - we're not hostile guard dogs, we're tour guides introducing people to a new planet :laughing:

As long as we're not giving Yuzu fans (and Yuzu by extension) a bad name by starting fights or attacking other people unreasonably, that's the most we can do. The skating will speak for itself. 

40 minutes ago, b138oo said:

Yuzu really could have an easier win if he didn't choose to challenge the hardest layouts he could have skated. I mean his classic Chopin at ACI proved this point. But the thing is Yuzu has won everything. He already had the OGM, Worlds, and GPF hanging on his neck. If he keeps doing the same thing, he would end up like Yuna who lost her motivation to compete after the Olympics. That's why I think he keeps challenging himself to keep having the motivation. For any other skaters, they still have something to look for, so challenging the FS elements won't be that important.

Exactly, agree 100% with your comment! 

Yuzuru is someone who likes to challenge himself every season every step of the way, even when others can't understand why he isn't "taking the easy route" by repeating the same elements within the programs. It's incredible that Yuzuru kept his motivation to continue skating after winning the OGM back in 2014 because he wanted to prove himself to become an even better skater. And we definitely seen that improvement since the Sochi Olympics with all the records that Yuzuru has broken as well as the numerous wonderful performances. :2thumbsup: 

17 minutes ago, kaerb said:

What I worry about is that the intensity of people's passion to defend Yuzu (sometimes unnecessarily) often causes more damage than good. I know it's frustrating but we will do much better if we are calm, firm and have sources to back up any arguments. Be clear about your objectives when you're interacting with a hater or with journalists. If they already seem set to hate him no matter what, don't waste your emotional energy on such people or upset yourself by getting into pointless fights. State your position, call out bad sportsmanship (a la CBC) or bad reporting but be specific about why it's bad, don't just insult people, esp journalists...who admittedly do have more power to influence coverage and TBH will take a v low view on fans who are just insulting them, whether their reporting is reasonable or not -- you're much more likely to get through if you can specifically point out how they screwed up.

At the end of the day, we cannot possibly hope to convert everyone into Yuzu fans nor hope that the media will do a 180 or suddenly become favourable to Yuzu (the US media have their own interests and narratives to sell, it's not surprising). Just take it as an inevitable part of figure skating - there will be many casual people tuning into the Olympics with no clue and yes, they're going to be mostly reading media from certain sources. As intl fans engaged with English media, trying to introduce some balance to hyperbolic headlines is the most we can do. 

As long as we're not giving Yuzu fans (and Yuzu by extension) a bad name by starting fights or attacking other people unreasonably, that's the most we can do. The skating will speak for itself. 

I agree with this. Honestly I'm just choosing to ignore most of the media. Yuzuru is doing everything he can to get the results he deserves on the biggest stage...well, for someone who chooses to up his technical ante instead of coasting and resting on his laurels.  I find what he is doing astounding and inspiring.  But I am his fan and I have my own opinions that I've formed from watching him these past 4 years.  As long as he delivers, he will get what he deserves. And he is now including content that makes it harder to deny him that.  Win or lose, he does have legions and fans, and we will continue to support him.  They can go ahead and make fun of us, rather than be grateful that we're practically bankrolling the ISU these days by filling seats. Whatevs. Believe me, we are doing what makes us happy and we're not gonna stop.