Skating on the Planet

i'm getting better at my sit spin :tumblr_m9gct8HYvv1qzckow:i did one decent sit spin two days ago, and then another one yesterday. today i was able to do more than one :laughing: i think my success rate at this point is about 1/10. i count a success as (1) i stopped spinning because i was tired, not because i lost my balance or centering, and (2) i was in a sit spin position, i.e. thigh parallel to ice (or almost), leg straight and extended (or almost). and i don't feel like my calves are gonna split anymore :tumblr_inline_mfy930ntA01qid2nw: hooray.

i also think my upright spin (still can't do a scratch spin) has improved too. i think my success rate is now about 1/2 tries vs. 1/10 tries about a month ago. :text-line-smiley-095:

1 hour ago, Floria said:

Btw have you ever tried an off-ice spinner? I have read different opinions but I am still considering buying it.

I hadn't noticed Yuzu had it until I saw these photos

Yes, I have. I know there are different options about it but it probably depends whether you use it properly or not. I personally can't say one bad thing about it. It helped me with my spins - especially with centering them and learning new positions. And it's also good for improving overall balance and posture.

Yeah, Yuzu has one, too. I noticed he stands on it also when he plays that ball game with Brian.

7 hours ago, moni said:

Yes, I have. I know there are different options about it but it probably depends whether you use it properly or not. I personally can't say one bad thing about it. It helped me with my spins - especially with centering them and learning new positions. And it's also good for improving overall balance and posture.

Yeah, Yuzu has one, too. I noticed he stands on it also when he plays that ball game with Brian.

Never got the hang of it for spins, but used it for footwork and turns practice.

Hace 11 horas, Xen said:

Never got the hang of it for spins, but used it for footwork and turns practice.

I want it mostly for spins, since it is my weakest point, but it sounds interesting to use it to practice turns. I tried twist board for this, but the feeling was so much different than when I am on ice. 

32 minutes ago, Floria said:

I want it mostly for spins, since it is my weakest point, but it sounds interesting to use it to practice turns. I tried twist board for this, but the feeling was so much different than when I am on ice. 

well, I have the edea one. The rocker feels the same as my actual skates for turns, but for spins I end up too far towards my toes on the spinner.

When it comes to jumps, I can do a decent toe loop if I'm not tired or frustrated but the consistency is terrible. My edge jumps have better consistency because planting the toe pick is hard, it's easy to slip off of it :facepalm: I can only do up to a loop though. It took me a month to learn the loop, about a month or two to learn the Salchow, and like 1 year to learn a bad toe waltz jump and then fix it :facepalm: Thank god for skating coaches who fix your bad habits!

I scheduled a free lesson for trial for the 14th. They will see what I can do (nothing lol, especially after 3 month break) and tell me which class would be best for me. The price is a little high though, 90 euros per month, plus the subscription fee. Is it this pricey at your ice rink schools as well? :tumblr_inline_mfy930ntA01qid2nw: I don't know if I'll be able to afford it since I still have to start my job, but I'm not giving up on it. Somehow I'll make it work. 

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

I scheduled a free lesson for trial for the 14th. They will see what I can do (nothing lol, especially after 3 month break) and tell me which class would be best for me. The price is a little high though, 90 euros per month, plus the subscription fee. Is it this pricey at your ice rink schools as well? :tumblr_inline_mfy930ntA01qid2nw: I don't know if I'll be able to afford it since I still have to start my job, but I'm not giving up on it. Somehow I'll make it work. 

My classes are pricey, too :sadPooh:  I'm still a student and having to pay 120€ per month is a lot (1 lesson = 10€ and there're 3 lessons each week). So usually I work during weekends and then spend most of my salary on skating. But I love it so it's quite an easy decision. Hope you'll find a way how to manage it, too!

3 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

1 hour ago, moni said:

My classes are pricey, too :sadPooh:  I'm still a student and having to pay 120€ per month is a lot (1 lesson = 10€ and there're 3 lessons each week). So usually I work during weekends and then spend most of my salary on skating. But I love it so it's quite an easy decision. Hope you'll find a way how to manage it, too!

are these group lessons or private lesosns?

7 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Hm, I took group lessons once that was around $300 for 2.5 months. So it sounds like about right...

But it was only 1 lesson a week.

Yeah, my lessons are group lessons too. Which is fine by me, since I'm okay with being given new stuff to learn and practice them on my own (with the proper technical help ofc). I guess, since it's hard to master skating, just like a musical instrument, the price is more or less the same... pricey, but fairly so. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to work extra shifts xD 

I found out they're offering lessons ("for everyone" but idk if that means one group with skaters across levels) at my local rink, too. I am definitely tempted but the class is on Monday mornings and I'll be full time employed with my thesis next semester. Oh and of course I also don't have much money to spare... I tried calling to ask abt prices but they haven't picked up the phone yet lol 

Otherwise I'll just have to keep on hoping onlookers will pity me and help me out when I go skating in the evenings. :13877886:

My local rink opens in October and I'm starting to get excited :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:  (although I will be away for most of the month booo)

Also, I found a skating shop 2 hours by train from here and I'll make a trip there after my exams. I want new skates!

Can I ask how long you have been skating on your own without lessons and how far you've come?

I won't get to go to a trial session until November and I'll see how lessons and stuff are handled then, how much it'll cost etc.

I put aside some money specifically for skating but I know I won't be able to afford pricey lessons.. :13877886:

Something I realized today is I'm much more nervous when going on my own vs dragging a friend along, which then results in me being too scared to try anything else other than going in circles and hoping I'm not run over by some 12 year old who thinks he's the shit :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

I'm also overall much more "shaky"..

But I know I won't have someone coming along with me most of the time, do you guys maybe have any tips for dealing with overcoming those fears?