Skating on the Planet

3 hours ago, robin said:

Yeah right, what‘s the point of 3 turns if you can‘t jump a 4T combo out of it??? :LOL:

I‘m lucky if I can ever lift off the ice enough to jump a 1T lol

Transitions Hanyu style :laughing: And yes, doing a single jump would be magic for me too, sigh, one day... 

In today's installment of Guitarist embarrasses herself on the ice: I learned bunny hops! (Or well, the sad version of them, anyway. I did it on my own, so it's likely 100% wrong) and my 2-foot spins are actually starting to resemble spins. Aside from that I tried lunges and shoot the ducks (I landed flat on my ass when I tried that second one). Overall, decent progress. Having trouble with crossovers, though. Of course, my coach hasn't taught them to me, so maybe that'll change tomorrow...

On 11/23/2017 at 8:50 AM, robin said:

Rockers are hard. I can't do them anymore (or maybe I wasn't actually doing them before, idk) :13877886: otoh my 3 turns are getting more and more effortless

Depends, some people find them easier. Normally though the progression is 3 turn --> brackets--> counters--> rockers. I think the rockers are considered hard because you exit counter to your rotation direction or something like that. Well anyways I find them harder than counters (and a dork rinkmate finds them easier than counters so who knows). Counters are just....what happens when you forget to close your hips tight enough on the exit lobe of the bracket. 

On 11/24/2017 at 1:50 AM, Murieleirum said:

Great! So, when will you be doing a 4T3T out of your 3 turns? :pouty:

...Your suggestion is evil. I'm pondering trying rolling 3's before a toe-loop. :facepalm:

21 minutes ago, Xen said:

Depends, some people find them easier. Normally though the progression is 3 turn --> brackets--> counters--> rockers. I think the rockers are considered hard because you exit counter to your rotation direction or something like that. Well anyways I find them harder than counters (and a dork rinkmate finds them easier than counters so who knows). Counters are just....what happens when you forget to close your hips tight enough on the exit lobe of the bracket. 

3turns are hard...i'm still working on them :dry:

14 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

3turns are hard...i'm still working on them :dry:

I'm still trying to figure out why my backwards 3 turns are fine when I have to do progressive 3s in quick succession, but I overthink it and it's not as clean when I have to do a single back 3 turn. Think I turn my upper body too quickly, and my feet don't rock back to the heel section fast enough. :scratch2:

Speaking of 3 turns... I’ve only been doing RFO and LFO ones but today I spontaneously decided to try one backward. RBO specifically. And after 3 tries or so I was successful? Which was pretty cool but then I intuitively added another 3 turn? And I am still shook about that bc I had never tried inside 3 turns before? And I could suddenly do them? I ended up doing sequences of 3-5 3 turns in disbelief and I am really happy but also super confused at how that happened lol 

But I still need to work on them. I can’t really do them casually and they slow me down rather than speeding me up but at least they don’t feel as labored anymore 

Also my left leg is super lazy 

8 hours ago, Xen said:

Welp maybe I should try brackets. I haven’t really studied how to do them yet

I just decided to try rockers bc they start like 3 turns but I think that actually works against them

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

How do you try spins and do them? Every time I 'try spins' I 'fail to rotate more than twice and stop on my own'.

I just watched it bunch of videos on how to do 2 foot spins yesterday (like this one, although I don't find it very helpful in explaining which parts of the blades one is supposed to spin on)

I also just "tried" to "spin" lol. My "spins" had like 4 rotations max but I got really dizzy and whenever I tried to count my rotations I lost focus... so it could be less than that. But it was fun!

16 minutes ago, robin said:

I just watched it bunch of videos on how to do 2 foot spins yesterday (like this one, although I don't find it very helpful in explaining which parts of the blades one is supposed to spin on)

I also just "tried" to "spin" lol. My "spins" had like 4 rotations max but I got really dizzy and whenever I tried to count my rotations I lost focus... so it could be less than that. But it was fun!

I know that guy! I tried to imitate him too, but I totally failed.

I think I've got the knack of waltz jumps now. I've been getting pointers here and there by people pitying me and my technique and today someone took their time with me and it started to feel like I was doing it right, or at least I know what to pay attention to and there were a few times where it felt pretty perfect... ofc it's hard to judge because I am not seeing myself and I loose focus immediately if there's a camera directed at me. (I could never be a competitive skater, that much I know now.)