Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 1/28/2019 at 3:47 AM, shanshani said:

I got my t-stop on the first try today! Why do you learn it after snowplow? It seems way easier.

 

I wish I knew. I think maybe more people find snowplow easier, but a significant minority if not a majority find t-stop easier. I ended up learning t-stops earlier than usual because I was so horrible at snowplow stops. I could do them well enough to pass the test but still preferred stopping by crashing into the wall until I learned t-stops. :laughing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Practiced Loop and Lutz during the last lesson! Lutz is crazy. Like, I didn't quite get the dynamic of the jump until they took me and made me do it. I couldn't fully rotate one though, and the same goes for the Loop, which I actually do rotate, but I have problems landing on the right leg LOL - which is my left leg because I am a leftie. I think I have problems with landings in general. It scares me much more than the take-off! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, shanshani said:

Haha, well forward crossovers are scarier than backwards crossovers. Even though I haven’t fallen on a forward crossover since I officially started learning them, I still have to give myself a bit of a pep talk before practicing them :13877886: my cw ones got way better just because of the blade adjustment though, so that’s nice.

 

Now that I think about it, I haven’t actually practiced backwards crossovers much at all. I had to take the week off because my boots were in the shop/I had knee pain anyway, and I didn’t practice much the previous week also because of  the knee pain, and that basically covers the entire time period since my coach started me on them. Well hopefully I can practice more now since fixing the blade issue should help with the knee issue.

 

Are you going to test? Is pre-bronze the test you do after going through the basic skills courses? I might move back to the US one day so I’m curious about how all that is structured.

Yeah I am going to take the pre-bronze test :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg: unfortunately the slots were full for Feb so I have to take them in March. I don't know what the basic skills courses are, but you can test pre-bronze MitF anytime I'm pretty sure as long as you're ready. And @guitarist is correct about what's on the test! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, utsukushii3A said:

 

I wish I knew. I think maybe more people find snowplow easier, but a significant minority if not a majority find t-stop easier. I ended up learning t-stops earlier than usual because I was so horrible at snowplow stops. I could do them well enough to pass the test but still preferred stopping by crashing into the wall until I learned t-stops. :laughing:

I am doing tango stops 90% of the time now in order to practice them. For an emergency stop I will always do a snowplow, and when going fast I start with a t-stop if I'm not feeling secure enough to do a tango stop.

 

But tango stops are difficult for me mentally (I skid sometimes and almost trip over it). I always start stopping like 5 feet away from where I want to stop (i.e. the wall) and then I end up stopping like 3 feet from the wall and then I have to skate to the wall lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I had a dream where Yuzu was helping me with my backwards crossovers. Went skating today...aaaand they weren't any better. Turns out dreamYuzu is not a particularly good coach :laughing:

 

I did improve my backward crossovers over the course of the practice session though, so yay! Finally getting some speed out of the CCW ones, and the CWs are finally starting to actually exist lol. Forward ones were kinda meh today, did them all successfully but many were kinda crappy. I think I just have to concentrate on shifting my weight correctly and I'll do it right--it's not at the point where I don't have to think about it, but if I do think about it they're decent enough.

 

I can now do a very crappy...idk what to call them, I don't think they deserve the name spread eagle haha. But I've managed to get the basic idea at least, in both directions.

 

I think my one foot slaloms are actually starting to be not completely incorrect. I think I was relying a little too much on hip/ankle movement to change edge and not enough on knee action before, because I wasn't using my knees that much. But I've been trying to use my knees more and more and today my thighs started to burn a bit, which I'm pretty sure is a sign that my knees are finally starting to do the right thing. I'm still not getting acceleration, but I guess that will happen once I figure out the knees more. (Also I'm pretty sure these are way above my level, but my coach made me do forward one foot wiggles and they were really fun and it seems like a natural progression from increasing the wiggle size.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really frustrated about centering my scratch spin :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: Like I can see that they are improved from say, a few months ago, and they feel like they are improved, but they are still not centered so it doesn't come together? And if I can't center it I can't do any other variations like layback or anything, so it's a hugeeee blocker. I can tell, from slowing down videos, that I sort of make this "bow" shape with my body where my right hip is dropped and it pulls me way onto my inside edge and my left hip is the farthest part of my body sticking out, but of course I have no idea how to *solve* that. and then i just keep doing the spin, and once in a while it's centered and most of the time it's not, but i never actually *change* anything or improve it, and it's just a giant waste of time. 

 

My coach also told me I should start setting up my jumps in the same way every time to hammer in the muscle memory. Right now I just jump wherever there's space I guess (I mean I only do singles anyway). but setting it up just takes more time to set up the jump,

 

At least with my jumps I can definitely see them improve. Even if it's not enough to be very noticeable on video, or still not very perfect or clean, but at least they are improving. I could definitely feel my loop improved a lot today, i was able to get a really smooth-feeling loop today where it felt like i'm on a really deep outside edge, i'm jumping exactly after 180 prerotation and not too early, i'm not jumping off of a straight line, and i'm not stopping and waiting on my toe pick before pushing myself off, etc. At least it's getting better, and i think with more practice it'll get better (and i think my coach is pretty good at teaching jumps). But my spins are like nahhh (maybe i need to go to someone else for spins bc theyre so frustrating) 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 3:09 AM, yuzuangel said:

I'm really frustrated about centering my scratch spin :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: Like I can see that they are improved from say, a few months ago, and they feel like they are improved, but they are still not centered so it doesn't come together? And if I can't center it I can't do any other variations like layback or anything, so it's a hugeeee blocker. I can tell, from slowing down videos, that I sort of make this "bow" shape with my body where my right hip is dropped and it pulls me way onto my inside edge and my left hip is the farthest part of my body sticking out, but of course I have no idea how to *solve* that. and then i just keep doing the spin, and once in a while it's centered and most of the time it's not, but i never actually *change* anything or improve it, and it's just a giant waste of time. 

 

My coach also told me I should start setting up my jumps in the same way every time to hammer in the muscle memory. Right now I just jump wherever there's space I guess (I mean I only do singles anyway). but setting it up just takes more time to set up the jump,

 

At least with my jumps I can definitely see them improve. Even if it's not enough to be very noticeable on video, or still not very perfect or clean, but at least they are improving. I could definitely feel my loop improved a lot today, i was able to get a really smooth-feeling loop today where it felt like i'm on a really deep outside edge, i'm jumping exactly after 180 prerotation and not too early, i'm not jumping off of a straight line, and i'm not stopping and waiting on my toe pick before pushing myself off, etc. At least it's getting better, and i think with more practice it'll get better (and i think my coach is pretty good at teaching jumps). But my spins are like nahhh (maybe i need to go to someone else for spins bc theyre so frustrating) 
 

To be honest, for centering spins, I realized it's a matter of practicing. After about 4 months it got easier to center my spins. IMO, a bit of it for me is how fast I "pop" into the open position-for me if I pop too fast, and have a very noticeable popping motion, my spin goes off axis and travels. And then it's an issue of how in-sync you are when closing your legs and arms.

 

Have you recorded your spins recently? o_O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xen said:

To be honest, for centering spins, I realized it's a matter of practicing. After about 4 months it got easier to center my spins. IMO, a bit of it for me is how fast I "pop" into the open position-for me if I pop too fast, and have a very noticeable popping motion, my spin goes off axis and travels. And then it's an issue of how in-sync you are when closing your legs and arms.

 

Have you recorded your spins recently? o_O

I have posted a few times as stories: https://www.instagram.com/stories/jenikooooooo/ (the last two) 

I had a decent day today where I centered a lot of spins. It could be because the ice was hard since it's been cold outside lately. Anyway my friend told me to try flexing my foot and lifting my right hip and I think it helped. But it almost looks like my right hip is higher than my left now.

The rink was hard to film on so i asked someone to do it but then I was quite far so it's hard to see :( Hope you can still see the stories LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Chinese New Year today, so when I got to the rink, it was nearly empty. Honestly, I'm surprised it was even open. For the first hour and a half I shared the middle ice with one other skater. There were no areas cordoned off for classes. It was glorious. If I ever become super rich I'm getting myself a private ice rink.

 

I was dead tired for half the session though. Think I was skating a decent bit faster than usual and also I'm sick. Still, it was a very productive session. Also the guy I was sharing with had monster stamina--he was jumping a decent amount, doing complexish footwork, and going pretty fast for almost the whole two hours. Whereas I had to sit down and recover after practicing some crossovers. :13877886:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

My laces broke today so I couldn't skate :( 

:( does your rink not have a pro shop/does it not sell replacement laces?

 

my laces have bloodstains on them lol. I laced them without realizing my hand was bleeding :13877886:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shanshani said:

:( does your rink not have a pro shop/does it not sell replacement laces?

 

my laces have bloodstains on them lol. I laced them without realizing my hand was bleeding :13877886:

It wasn't open :13877886:

 

Also that's happened to me before :13877886:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got frustrated with failing two foot turns so I tried 3-turns instead. Success! I mean, I only succeeded 3 times out of however many I tried, but it was better than 0 times on two foot turns. also for some reason I'm way better gliding backwards out of crossovers/3 turns than I am with just picking up my foot while on two feet backwards :13877886:by way better I mean I can actually do it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shanshani said:

got frustrated with failing two foot turns so I tried 3-turns instead. Success! I mean, I only succeeded 3 times out of however many I tried, but it was better than 0 times on two foot turns. also for some reason I'm way better gliding backwards out of crossovers/3 turns than I am with just picking up my foot while on two feet backwards :13877886:by way better I mean I can actually do it

*cough* because skating straight backwards you're on a flat, and from crossovers or 3-turns you're on an edge. XD

It's easier to maintain balance and speed etc, IMO when actually on an active edge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 5:23 PM, yuzuangel said:

My laces broke today so I couldn't skate :( 

 

Last time I cut through mine (with my own blades lol) I just tied them into a strong knot. It was supposed to be an emergency solution but it's been that way since.... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...