Skating on the Planet

Today I learned a valuable lesson. Sleep deprivation and ice skating do NOT mix. I was sitting in a cramped bus for 10 hours on Saturday (5 hrs each way, I take guitar lessons in a different state, long story) and got 4 hrs of sleep last night, so when I woke up today I was still exhausted and my knees were sore. Result: I fell down like 5 times :laughing: But my bunny hops (which I definitely shouldn't be trying yet, but who's going to stop me) are getting decent. Crossovers are still... not really crossovers. And I still have terrible control over my edges. Realistically, I know I've been skating for less than 2 months and I'm doing ok so far, but progress is infuriatingly slow :13877886: 

10 hours ago, guitarist said:

Today I learned a valuable lesson. Sleep deprivation and ice skating do NOT mix. I was sitting in a cramped bus for 10 hours on Saturday (5 hrs each way, I take guitar lessons in a different state, long story) and got 4 hrs of sleep last night, so when I woke up today I was still exhausted and my knees were sore. Result: I fell down like 5 times :laughing: But my bunny hops (which I definitely shouldn't be trying yet, but who's going to stop me) are getting decent. Crossovers are still... not really crossovers. And I still have terrible control over my edges. Realistically, I know I've been skating for less than 2 months and I'm doing ok so far, but progress is infuriatingly slow :13877886: 

Falling means you're making progress... Don't forget Yuzu's words :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

I fell backwards trying a one-foot spin today and hit my head on the ice:13877886:

58 minutes ago, robin said:

Falling means you're making progress... Don't forget Yuzu's words :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

I fell backwards trying a one-foot spin today and hit my head on the ice:13877886:

Please don't sacrifice your brain in the name of progress :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

I'm a little sick but there are only 3 times left to train before the holiday break and I'm already depressed thinking about no skating during summer so I have to make every time count and hope I'll have better luck than @guitarist lol

3 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

Please don't sacrifice your brain in the name of progress :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

I'm a little sick but there are only 3 times left to train before the holiday break and I'm already depressed thinking about no skating during summer so I have to make every time count and hope I'll have better luck than @guitarist lol

Oh no, hope it's just a cold? You shouldn't sacrifice your health either!

Don't remind me of summer... I've been thinking of ways to move to a city with an all-year-round rink over the summer :war:

2 hours ago, robin said:

Oh no, hope it's just a cold? You shouldn't sacrifice your health either!

Don't remind me of summer... I've been thinking of ways to move to a city with an all-year-round rink over the summer :war:

It went pretty well actually. Didn't even fall :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:
It's mostly just a sore throat and a little cold, nothing dramatic (thankfully)

Hmmm. So tomorrow I have the rather daunting task of teaching my coworkers how to ice skate. We're doing a small group outing to celebrate the end of the year, and at my manager's suggestion, I organized an ice skating trip... (Yes, even my manager knows I'm obsessed with figure skating) I already told them I only know the very, very, very basics, but to them, who can't even stay upright, that is more than enough... Well, aside from my manager, who's been playing ice hockey for 30+ years. 

Soooo... Any suggestions on stuff that would be easy to teach? Swizzles is the obvious one, but idk what else would be good. And I'm scared one of my coworkers will want me to help her by holding her hands because I'm not great at skating backwards, other than basic stuff like swizzles or slaloms... (Can't do backward stroking at a good speed) 

I have a feeling this won't end well :Poohgaveup:

i'm trying sit spins loolll (they're not very good). tbh it's not really my sit spins being bad but my spins in general, it's hard to center them :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:

recently i've been trying this new thing where i get down into the sit position faster (in this video i kinda go down slowly) which helps a bit because the lower you go the easier it is to center. i also need to figure out how to arch my back but it's more difficult than when i'm not spinning

it's mostly the centering issue. my entry still needs work :20111123175551f36:

54 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Hmmm. So tomorrow I have the rather daunting task of teaching my coworkers how to ice skate. We're doing a small group outing to celebrate the end of the year, and at my manager's suggestion, I organized an ice skating trip... (Yes, even my manager knows I'm obsessed with figure skating) I already told them I only know the very, very, very basics, but to them, who can't even stay upright, that is more than enough... Well, aside from my manager, who's been playing ice hockey for 30+ years. 

Soooo... Any suggestions on stuff that would be easy to teach? Swizzles is the obvious one, but idk what else would be good. And I'm scared one of my coworkers will want me to help her by holding her hands because I'm not great at skating backwards, other than basic stuff like swizzles or slaloms... (Can't do backward stroking at a good speed) 

how about stopping? they'll probably thank you for it :P 

41 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Hahah can you organize to have a teacher come help you guys?

7 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

i'm trying sit spins loolll (they're not very good). tbh it's not really my sit spins being bad but my spins in general, it's hard to center them :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:

recently i've been trying this new thing where i get down into the sit position faster (in this video i kinda go down slowly) which helps a bit because the lower you go the easier it is to center. i also need to figure out how to arch my back but it's more difficult than when i'm not spinning

it's mostly the centering issue. my entry still needs work :20111123175551f36:

This looks pretty impressive to me:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: Spinning is so! hard!

I managed a salchow for the first time today. But I kinda don't like it as much as waltz jumps or toe loops. My legs feel really heavy these days and I haven't been feeling like spinning much for the past week. I feel like I am in a bit of a slump. My legs feel heavy and my feet hurt all the time. Maybe I should take a break

33 minutes ago, robin said:

Hahah can you organize to have a teacher come help you guys?

This looks pretty impressive to me:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: Spinning is so! hard!

I managed a salchow for the first time today. But I kinda don't like it as much as waltz jumps or toe loops. My legs feel really heavy these days and I haven't been feeling like spinning much for the past week. I feel like I am in a bit of a slump. My legs feel heavy and my feet hurt all the time. Maybe I should take a break

Yo that's pretty impressive! Just leaving the ice took me a ridiculous amt of time, yet you're doing like 3 jumps already :tumblr_inline_n18qr64W7F1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr64W7F1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr64W7F1qid2nw:

(i spent a lot of time doing waltz jumps holding the boards before attempting them. balancing on skates looked/felt like a challenge already, getting into the air seemed downright impossible...like, i'm trying to not fall with both feet on the ice, you want me to jump into the air?! :13877886:)

26 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Yo that's pretty impressive! Just leaving the ice took me a ridiculous amt of time, yet you're doing like 3 jumps already :tumblr_inline_n18qr64W7F1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr64W7F1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr64W7F1qid2nw:

(i spent a lot of time doing waltz jumps holding the boards before attempting them. balancing on skates looked/felt like a challenge already, getting into the air seemed downright impossible...like, i'm trying to not fall with both feet on the ice, you want me to jump into the air?! :13877886:)

I'm not sure if I'm insulting toe loops and salchows by calling my jumps toe loops and salchows lmao

And yet look at you now :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:

21 minutes ago, robin said:

I'm not sure if I'm insulting toe loops and salchows by calling my jumps toe loops and salchows lmao

And yet look at you now :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:

Haha as long as you're taking off/landing on the right edges and everything, then they are the correct jumps :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:*cough* unlike some top skaters *cough* just kidding :P:animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01: 

14 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Haha as long as you're taking off/landing on the right edges and everything, then they are the correct jumps :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:*cough* unlike some top skaters *cough* just kidding :P:animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01: 

that's generous :tumblr_m9ralgqmho1qdlkyg:

lmao

I asked someone to film me again today and I panicked the moment I gave him my phone and well... just now I deleted the videos bc they depress me. Can someone not film me without me knowing? lol

On 12/19/2017 at 6:04 AM, yuzuangel said:

upright spin attempt

Hi there.

I don't know if this would help, but for both sit spins and uprights, maybe you can try to hold your arms out a bit differently. The way most people enter into the spins, during the wind-up edge before you step in, you would have your right arm out and back a bit further, and your left arm swinging to be in front of you right? Instead of winding-up your arms, maybe hold your arms out in a rounded 160-180 degree. Kind of like you are holding a giant giant beach ball/balloon on your left side. In short, your arms are going to be open on your left side, not winding up.

It was how I learned my sit spins. XD And it helps a bit with holding the step-in edge to a good half circle before I start spinning. I also find it easier to center too.