Hey, remember us?

On 9/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, sweetwater said:

Good luck, Javi! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Looking forward to seeing him in Kiss and Cry :8232307:

Interview with lilbet's mum, Padishahan Sultanalieva

https://fs-gossips.com/elizabet-tursynbaevas-mother-representing-not-a-skating-country-on-the-world-stage-its-hell-no-judges-no-technical-controllers-no-behind-the-scenes-support-at-all/

Wow. Sooooo much to unpack here.

But she more or less states directly that politicking is what makes the scores happen in the ISU. Which makes Yuzu's wins seem even more amazing, really. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t seem to get it to link but I came across an interview with Elladj Balde from April on the BBC World Service about his initiative to encourage more diversity in the skating community.

copied and pasted in the end - wish I was better with tech…

Elladj Balde: Former figure skater on improving diversity, and social media fame

Last updated on 25 April 202125 April 2021.From the section Winter Sports

Elladj Balde performing in Revolution on Ice in 2019 Elladj Balde performing in 'Revolution on Ice' in 2019

Figure skating didn't allow Elladj Balde to live his truth.

He felt it didn't look like him, so he changed. Now he's trying to change the sport so others don't have to do as he did.

"I changed everything about me - the way I walked, the way I looked, the way I dressed, what type of music I listened to, what type of music I skated to, what costumes I wore on the ice," he says.

"I changed all of that in order to fit what skating told me I should be and I should look like."

Balde was born in Moscow to a Russian mother and Guinean father, but moved to Canada at the age of two. He wasn't a fan of skating at first, hiding his skates so he wouldn't have to go to practice, but he grew to love it.

He was good at it too: a junior Canadian champion and winner of the 2015 Nebelhorn Trophy - an international competition. But he continued to feel like the odd one out.

"The environment itself is a very white, European, even elitist kind of environment," he tells Sportshour on the BBC World Service.

"So for someone who is biracial, coming into a sport like that, it's really hard to fit in, it's really hard to find your voice within that space."

"My curly hair wasn't clean, and I was told that. I had to cut my curly hair, I couldn't wear this, I couldn't skate to this type of music - and so there was a point in time where I got tired of it, I wanted to feel fulfilled because at that point I wasn't fulfilled with what I was doing."

Balde felt so alienated that in 2018 he retired from elite skating at the age of 27. Until the Covid-19 pandemic struck, he was travelling the world performing in shows on ice.

But in December, the 30-year-old went viral on social media, skating to Rihanna on a patch of ice he came across while driving.

He's since set his videos to music by the likes of Drake and Labrinth, even to the words of poet Amanda Gorman, and gained millions of views on TikTok and Instagram. Actress Jada Pinkett Smith is a fan, and Rihanna herself has viewed his work.

Little did Balde know how much of a platform that patch of natural ice would give him.

"I started realising I really love connecting with people, I love performing, I love sharing my art, and that's what I really started focusing on and that allowed me to get rid of those chains," Balde says.

"Then I started realising that I was inspiring a lot of young black, indigenous and people of colour to embrace themselves within the sport as well.

"That's when I started realising the power of representation."

Elladj Balde performing at the 2014 World Figure Skating Championships Elladj Balde was a Canadian junior national champion at 18

Earlier in 2020, following the death of George Floyd, Balde co-founded the Figure Skating Diversity and Inclusion Alliance, which aims to create an inclusive environment in the sport worldwide.

His new-found fame allows him to push its message further. No longer does he want to see skaters drop out of the sport because of the colour of their skin, and he wants to be that difference.

"You don't have to follow one path," he says. "You can create your own path and if that path doesn't exist, then create it for yourself.

"I know the power of seeing someone that looks like you do something incredible, and do it in a way that's different. I know how powerful that is and how inspiring that can be.

"I took it as my mission, because I'm so passionate about the sport, to deliver that message."

He adds: "That's what will change the world, having more kids and more people live authentically and live fulfilled, and embrace the things that they love about themselves. 

"That's how we're going to make this world a better place."

Nobu tested positive for Corona. Get well soon :smiley-angelic001:

Comment from the management staff (rough translation with DeepL translator):

It has been confirmed that Nobunari Oda is infected with the new coronavirus.
He is currently receiving medical treatment in accordance with the guidance of the public health center.

This video was taken before the symptoms appeared.
We apologize for any concern this may cause to our fans.
We hope you will enjoy the Grand Prix series.

All of us hope that Mr. Oda will recover as soon as possible.

Source: Nobu's youtube channel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTP0Sv2HV-w

The Ice Skating Podcast with Javi (from 16:19 min)

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1695973?client_source=large_player&iframe=true&referrer=https://www.buzzsprout.com/1695973.js?container_id=buzzsprout-large-player-1695973&player=large#

Javi's Men's single prediction for the Olympics is Yuzu or Nathan. He also sees chances for Rika for the Olympic podium, if she skates cleanly. 

I wish we could see Yuzu & Javi together again next year at FOI  (I hope the corona pandemic will soon be over).  :smiley-angelic001:

On 10/30/2021 at 11:41 AM, Anni said:

Here the link from the broadcast. Javi appears in the video from 5:46 min. Unfortunately I did not understand him because he spoke in Spanish.

At the end of the video he dances with Antonio Najarro🕺

(a Spanish ballet and flamenco dancer and choreographer).

https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/un-pais-en-danza/exilio-exito-triunfar-fuera-espana/6149898/

11 hours ago, Anni said:

Here the link from the broadcast. Javi appears in the video from 5:46 min. Unfortunately I did not understand him because he spoke in Spanish.

At the end of the video he dances with Antonio Najarro🕺

(a Spanish ballet and flamenco dancer and choreographer).

https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/un-pais-en-danza/exilio-exito-triunfar-fuera-espana/6149898/

Thank you for the video. I studied some Spanish years ago and could understood some of it. Not word to word translation under spoiler

Spoiler

Antonio Najarro introduces two persons who have left Spain for chasing their dreams. Javi is one of them, other is a ballet dancer Joaquín De Luz.

5:45 First Javi tells how he started skating at six years old. He liked many sports but when his sister started skating, he wanted to try it too. They both became better and better quite quickly and participated bigger and bigger competitions nationally.

They show part of the Pirates of Caribbean practice and Najarro tells how Javi is example of talent, courage and constancy and how he followed his heart to leave his home country to become one of the greatest skaters in the world.

Javi tells how he at 17 years old met with Nikolai Morozov (he does not say his name, but calls him "the Russian coach who lived in US). The coach saw his talent and how much better he could become, so Javi followed him first to US and then Russia. Then he moved to Toronto. Javi praises Brian and says how he learned a lot technically, artistically and skating wise in eight years in Toronto. Javi  improved a lot as a skater and can now see clearly how different skater he is now thanks to Brian. Javi explains how he needed to move from Spain to get better training conditions if he truly wanted to give himself a chance to become a better skater.

Second part starts at 13:44. Javi speaks about his homesickness. When he was young, he did not felt it so much as there was so much for him to explore in US, Russia and Canada. But over the time he started to miss his family, friends and the Spanish lifestyle. Especially on bad days he would have needed someone who have known him all his life to be there physically, not just on the phone. On good days there were no problems. (They show the step sequence of Malaguena) Javi thinks he got this far in the sport because he fought through the bad moments in his career. He explains how important it is to have the inner strength and will to fight. Even when you have people in your life who want to help you, in the end of the day, you have to do it yourself. Of course you have to have talent and be willing to work hard, but what made him to reach to the top was that he had the capacity to keep up that constant inner battle.

Third part starts at 22:52. Javi talks about how the work they have done with media and different events over the years helps the future skaters from Spain. It is important to him to open a way to future talents. He thinks they can benefit from his experiences and example. (Flamenco on Ice practice)

Last part at 27:20 with Antonio Najarro who asks Javi how was the their collaboration on Malaguena for Javi. Javi says his memories are good but very complicated as the choreo included many new movements, gestures and expressions that were very detailed. (very cool flamenco part to end the program)

On 10/23/2021 at 4:58 AM, Anni said:

Nobu tested positive for Corona. Get well soon :smiley-angelic001:

Comment from the management staff (rough translation with DeepL translator):

Source: Nobu's youtube channel

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTP0Sv2HV-w

Nobu has finished recuperating and returned to his business today.

He says that luckily, he didn't have any symptoms and is now feeling well. 

Fans who could watch him on local TV say it looked that he was fine and doing his job as usual. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

9 hours ago, lajoitko said:

Thank you for the video. I studied some Spanish years ago and could understood some of it. Not word to word translation under spoiler

Hide contents

Antonio Najarro introduces two persons who have left Spain for chasing their dreams. Javi is one of them, other is a ballet dancer Joaquín De Luz.

5:45 First Javi tells how he started skating at six years old. He liked many sports but when his sister started skating, he wanted to try it too. They both became better and better quite quickly and participated bigger and bigger competitions nationally.

They show part of the Pirates of Caribbean practice and Najarro tells how Javi is example of talent, courage and constancy and how he followed his heart to leave his home country to become one of the greatest skaters in the world.

Javi tells how he at 17 years old met with Nikolai Morozov (he does not say his name, but calls him "the Russian coach who lived in US). The coach saw his talent and how much better he could become, so Javi followed him first to US and then Russia. Then he moved to Toronto. Javi praises Brian and says how he learned a lot technically, artistically and skating wise in eight years in Toronto. Javi  improved a lot as a skater and can now see clearly how different skater he is now thanks to Brian. Javi explains how he needed to move from Spain to get better training conditions if he truly wanted to give himself a chance to become a better skater.

Second part starts at 13:44. Javi speaks about his homesickness. When he was young, he did not felt it so much as there was so much for him to explore in US, Russia and Canada. But over the time he started to miss his family, friends and the Spanish lifestyle. Especially on bad days he would have needed someone who have known him all his life to be there physically, not just on the phone. On good days there were no problems. (They show the step sequence of Malaguena) Javi thinks he got this far in the sport because he fought through the bad moments in his career. He explains how important it is to have the inner strength and will to fight. Even when you have people in your life who want to help you, in the end of the day, you have to do it yourself. Of course you have to have talent and be willing to work hard, but what made him to reach to the top was that he had the capacity to keep up that constant inner battle.

Third part starts at 22:52. Javi talks about how the work they have done with media and different events over the years helps the future skaters from Spain. It is important to him to open a way to future talents. He thinks they can benefit from his experiences and example. (Flamenco on Ice practice)

Last part at 27:20 with Antonio Najarro who asks Javi how was the their collaboration on Malaguena for Javi. Javi says his memories are good but very complicated as the choreo included many new movements, gestures and expressions that were very detailed. (very cool flamenco part to end the program)

Thank you for translation! :thanks:

11 hours ago, lajoitko said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you so much @lajoitko for your translation.:thanks:

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

Nobu has finished recuperating and returned to his business today.

He says that luckily, he didn't have any symptoms and is now feeling well. 

Fans who could watch him on local TV say it looked that he was fine and doing his job as usual. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

This is really good news. :happy0065:
Unfortunately the number of infected people in my country is rising again.:dry:

Stay healthy everyone :grouphug:

7 hours ago, Anni said:

Unfortunately the number of infected people in my country is rising again.:dry:

Stay healthy everyone :grouphug:

Here, the number of cases is a lot lower than that of this summer, but Nobu's case reminded me of how tricky the virus was. Hope the situation in your country gets better. Take care and stay healthy :grouphug: