Hey, remember us?

I... I don't know what to do about this. Is this the right thread for this? Has it already been discussed? Is this the most literal skate ever? Why did he bother with that cigar and will he ever finish painting that bench?

(It's so mad. I love it so much.)

(2:20 is the greatest move in the history of FS.)

Guest turquoiseblue

Mao to compete in Honolulu Marathon :7562096:

Mao Asada will run in the Honolulu Marathon on Dec. 10, the race’s PR department announced on Thursday.

It will be the first full marathon for the 27-year-old three-time world figure skating champion and 2010 Olympic silver medalist, who retired in April.

“As a former athlete I have set a high target and want to enjoy the challenge,” Asada said in a statement. “I want to finish the race inside four-and-a-half hours.”

The Honolulu Marathon is one of the world’s largest marathons and this year will be the 45th edition.

Good luck, Mao-chan! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Wasn't quite sure where to put this but after dithering over the 'random thoughts' thread, he is a distinguished ex skater whose name has been cropping up lately and though I'm too useless technically to link the YouTube vids there are several on there of Dick Button.

Things I hadn't realised/ forgot to take into account

- that the rinks were outdoors and they skated after dark- must have been a bit scary

- he was the first to land a 3Loop/Rittberger

- his triumph at the age of 18 was right after the aftermath of WW2 - not saying it's the reason he won because he did it again 4 years later, but it must have been a fair advantage with everyone older coming out of a conflict like that.

- I can see what BO means but every improvement in sport comes on the back of those who came before- the 'bielmann' is actually the 'colledge' if you go back to the first pre war person who did it.

Things I don't know:- 

- were they skating on lakes or purpose built outdoor rinks? 

- presumably it was pre Zamboni- how did they level the ice- or did they?

- if they didn't mad levels of respect to that generation of skaters doing any jumps at all!

On 19.10.2017 at 2:45 PM, turquoiseblue said:

I add here translation of the press release with comments of Kiira and Jere Nurminen who writes the book in co-operation with her.

Kiira wants to put her story into a book because she has received lots of insights and strength by reading biographies. Now she hopes to give them to other people with her own story.

Kiira reveals there also some facts that only her family and closest friends have been aware of. She says that the book is about what it is like to live in a world where nothing feels to be enough, where your own mind starts to turn against you furtively and how it is possible little by little to set free from the chains that your mind has built up. Jere Nurminen says that the book is not only about FS. It is a growth story of a young woman surrounded by publicity, top sport life, school and strictly ambitious mind. He says all has not been as beautiful as Kiira´s skating on the ice.  He hopes that Kiira´s story helps people to understand the mindset of talented athletes striving towards perfection no matter what the sport discipline is.

It´s going to be an interesting read because I believe she will be open. After retirement she has already talked about these things. She has said that her ambition was almost sickly: she would not have been satisfied if she had won OG gold or everything. Skating occupied her mind and at competitions she couldn´t much socialize with the other skaters. After retirement she has done that a lot and enjoys doing ice shows. She never lost her love for skating though. Years ago when she had already become famous I remember she attended a TV talk show and spoke there how confused she was because she got lots of publicity and attention because of her looks, not only for skating. As a young skater she was amazed why people paid a lot of attention to her face. She has said also that she got sponsors more easily than the other top ladies at that time which also puzzled her.

17 minutes ago, Lyyli said:

I add here translation of the press release with comments of Kiira and Jere Nurminen who writes the book in co-operation with her.

Kiira wants to put her story into a book because she has received lots of insights and strength by reading biographies. Now she hopes to give them to other people with her own story.

Kiira reveals there also some facts that only her family and closest friends have been aware of. She says that the book is about what it is like to live in a world where nothing feels to be enough, where your own mind starts to turn against you furtively and how it is possible little by little to set free from the chains that your mind has built up. Jere Nurminen says that the book is not only about FS. It is a growth story of a young woman surrounded by publicity, top sport life, school and strictly ambitious mind. He says all has not been as beautiful as Kiira´s skating on the ice.  He hopes that Kiira´s story helps people to understand the mindset of talented athletes striving towards perfection no matter what the sport discipline is.

It´s going to be an interesting read because I believe she will be open. After retirement she has already talked about these things. She has said that her ambition was almost sickly: she would not have been satisfied if she had won OG gold or everything. Skating occupied her mind and at competitions she couldn´t much socialize with the other skaters. After retirement she has done that a lot and enjoys doing ice shows. She never lost her love for skating though. Years ago when she had already become famous I remember she attended a TV talk show and spoke there how confused she was because she got lots of publicity and attention because of her looks, not only for skating. As a young skater she was amazed why people paid a lot of attention to her face. She has said also that she got sponsors more easily than the other top ladies at that time which also puzzled her.

Kira is one of my skating idols. Not because of her face, but because of those sensitive and amazing comments and interview she gave over the years. Her true beauty is definitly her personality. Will look forward to this book and hope that it'll be available in English too

On 19.10.2017 at 9:54 PM, Sombreuil said:

- were they skating on lakes or purpose built outdoor rinks? 

Thanks for the info. Did you find these articles: http://iceskatingresources.org/HistoryOfIceSkatingFacilities.html 

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-ice-rink-a-brief-histo

I didn´t find anything about the rinks in London, Paris, Milan and Davos where DB competed but there must have been at least special outdoor ice rinks that time. The first indoor ice rinks were built already in the end of 19th century. These quotes are from the first article:

"Ice skating remained a sport for commoners until about 1600, when the appeal of ice skating began to spread to various members of European nobility. The aristocracy did not want to associate with commoners, thus the first specially designed skating rinks were built. Members of the lower classes -- many of whom were still on wood skates -- were confined to skating on frozen lakes and canals for the next couple hundred years or so, until cities began constructing community rinks."

"The first Olympic figure skating competition was held on a refrigerated indoor rink in London in 1908. Figure skating was, a summer Olympic sport held indoors from 1908-1924. The first Winter Olympics didn't start until 1924."