2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo

sallycinnamon

7 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Imagine how Japanese audience would react if they realised. I don't think they would be happy. Lightning cauldron is an enormous honour.

I mean, if we, totally not Japanese, have no investment of any kind in this, are at the very least going ????, well...

5 hours ago, yuzupon said:

I mean, if we, totally not Japanese, have no investment of any kind in this, are at the very least going ????, well...

I don't think it matters whether you have an olympic medal or not to be chosen as torchbearer, it's mostly about the theme of the opening ceremony.  However, there's definitely a commercial and international aspect to it. If you've seen the cute clip of Rika being asked about whether Yuzu will be the torchbearer - above the pictures of Rikako the caption was "overcoming adversity", Naomi was "diversity" and Yuzuru was "reconstruction".  Rikako and Yuzuru's backstories probably resonate more within Japan but they are relatively unknown internationally outside of their niche sports while Naomi is a successful well-known international athlete who has raised the profile of BLM and mental health.  Basically, organisers selected the latter theme, tried to mash the other themes within opening ceremony (not very successfully!), poorly communicated the concept and left everyone ????

Article about King Kohei (DeepL translation works better) - his love for gymnastics shines through (remind you of someone?), even if he decides to retire it looks like he will continue to be involved with gymnastics:

https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic/tokyo2020/gymnastics/news/202107240000999.html   

Congratulations Kristóf! Olympic champion with a new Olympic record (smashing Phelps' record). 👏 ❤ His dominance in 200 fly is crazy, he won by seconds.

I think if the finals had been in the evening not in the morning he could have got the new world record too. Next time :)

edit: 

Tomoru Honda got silver, congrats! He looked so happy too. :)

I felt sorry for Kenderesi who was bronze medalist in Rio and got 4th here, said he was so disappointed.

After 400 individual medley Yui also won in 200 m. The finish was so close! She did really well, congratulations! :smiley-happy105:

In the meantime, 3-time Olympic champion and defending champion in both 400 m and 200 m IM, Katinka Hosszu is being criticised heavily in Hungary. She missed the podium at both IM finals in Tokyo and on top of that she also WD from 200 butterfly yesterday. In 2019 at Worlds she still managed to win both medley events but after that she changed coach (again, after she left her coach-husband in 2018) and after that I think Covid hit her training really hard. She was known for traveling to as many competitions as possible, this was her training menthod but during Covid it just wasn't possible so it probably affected her a lot. She didn't train as much as before and she then started her preparations late for 2021. As I followed her results this year I didn't think she could win gold medal but I thought perhaps a medal yes. So her results weren't too surprising for me after all. Had the Olympics been last year maybe she could have stayed in better form.

I don't know if she will continue or not, she is already 32 years.

It's so sad Harimoto, Niwa, and Kazumi Ishikawa all lost in singles table tennis, but they can come back in the team event, gambatte!! 

I found out I had to go to the office 4 days straight, which means I miss the games during the daytime :cry: