General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Beatrice said:

Well, this was not solely an aspect of Japanese culture.

Apropos Shakespeare and European theater culture:  Let's not forget that for many centuries, the female roles were performed only by men dressed up as women !!!

In Shakespeare's time they were performed by adolescent boys.

6 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Quote from the above linked article:

"I also found that in Japan, ‘femininity’ in the realm of the arts, especially high art – belongs to men."

Well, this was not solely an aspect of Japanese culture.

Apropos Shakespeare and European theater culture:  Let's not forget that for many centuries, the female roles were performed only by men dressed up as women !!!

Yes, correct, same applied to opera with male counter tenors, natural male sopranos, younger males whose voices had not yet broken and castrati sopranos taking on the female roles( of course the method for creating castrati was dreadful and the practice was eventually condemned, quite right ) because the performing arts, only permitted male performers. Historically, it was deemed unseemly for women to perform on stage, thus,  it was necessity and accepted cultural practice to have male persons performing the roles. 

Just now, CashmereKitty said:

What happened? What did I miss? Sorry, I stay away from Twitter these days… 

Good decision, on the whole. The online AERA put out a very controversial article on Yuzuru Hanyu’s decision not to declare his partner’s identity under the flag of feminism. So Hanyu is the representative of the patriarchy depriving their wives of their identity, but on the other hand, there’s this shining example of Shohei Ohtani who apparently would never stoop so low. 

The whole piece reads like a comedy. Excellent chance to advertise your own magazine for this month, AERA. 

7 minutes ago, Fay said:

Good decision, on the whole. The online AERA put out a very controversial article on Yuzuru Hanyu’s decision not to declare his partner’s identity under the flag of feminism. So Hanyu is the representative of the patriarchy depriving their wives of their identity, but on the other hand, there’s this shining example of Shohei Ohtani who apparently would never stoop so low. 

The whole piece reads like a comedy. Excellent chance to advertise your own magazine for this month, AERA. 

:headslap: Are they really that stupid? Well, we’ll see how that effects their publishing figures and whether Yuzu wants to collaborate with them in the future. 

6 minutes ago, CashmereKitty said:

:headslap: Are they really that stupid? Well, we’ll see how that effects their publishing figures and whether Yuzu wants to collaborate with them in the future. 

Whatever. It looks like a cheap ruse to make the identity known to the public, honestly. :D

8 minutes ago, Fay said:

Whatever. It looks like a cheap ruse to make the identity known to the public, honestly. :D

That was my thought also, as much as I could tell from the crappy machine translation to English that I read. I got the vague impression that there was some other point that was supposed to be in there, about the heaviness of Yuzu's public identity, but the writer lost me.