General Yuzuru Chat

ACI Thoughts

Short Program - A Hanyu/Buttle production is always great and this one is not a disappointment.  Not quite as good as LGC but that was the two at their best.  The costume, though, I do not like.  The colors are just not strong enough and the exposed chest was not a plus.  If he had some pectoral cleavage to show without the flesh-colored mesh it would have been great but Yuzu doesn't have pecs, though his torso is nicely V-shaped.  Costumes that highlight that feature of his are amongst my favorites.

Free Skate - Not quite a classic in terms of content but Yuzu's got six weeks to put in improvements.  I think it might do to have more arm action in certain parts.  I do have a feeling that Yuzu's been looking to use that six weeks layover before competing next to alter and polish his programs.  Basically at ACI I think we probably saw works-in-progress (not that that is not the case with all his programs) but this time probably moreso.  The costume, though, I loved.  It's his best since POTO2 which is my all-time favorite.  The way it hugs his torso is why I like it so much and the coloring is like bejeweled tree-bark.

By and large I think we saw Yuzu not in his best form this weekend but at least he didn't falter as much as he did in last year's ACI (excluding his record SP).  But his win this year was narrow over Junhwan, who for the first time let the world know he's serious about joining the elite ranks.  This year might be a breakout year for him.  As for Yuzu, he'll probably look at this weekend's near miss as a motivator for him during the next six weeks to alter and polish his programs.  In Helsinki things start getting serious.

29 minutes ago, Xen said:

His team, knowing him, already had the plan B ready, waiting for him to snap to Kuyashii mode. 

He probably started asking for this, that, and they already had the folders and answers ready. A leopard does not change his spots and they've been with him for far too long :laughing:

Though someone should probably warn poor Jason that cave troll has gone on a war path. 

8 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Q&A after Autumn Classic 2018, 22 September 2018

translated by nanoka12

Bonus:

Some of this is here too:

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018/09/bb43f662df88-figure-skating-hanyu-reflects-on-bumpy-start-to-2018-2019-season.html

I love how questions are posed to kind of give him a way out (new program, 4 minutes, etc.), he refuses to entertain any excuses and keeps returning to what he can do to improve and move forward. Champion!

41 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

He probably started asking for this, that, and they already had the folders and answers ready. A leopard does not change his spots and they've been with him for far too long :laughing:

Though someone should probably warn poor Jason that cave troll has gone on a war path. 

yes especially since they have another intense one who was definitely not happy with her skate. It'll be a crazy intense month at the TCC Cave