General Yuzuru Chat

33 minutes ago, Xen said:

There are even people offended by Max's video and explination of the jumps for Eurosport IT.

There was a reply to a tweet about that video when it was translated to Japanese, which basically said "In Japan, if you don't have a medal from WC or Oly you cannot be commentators. In Italy, non-figure skater, or finishing 27th* in WC will be commentators". I replied, saying exactly what it is: "And random people in internet get to make their ad hominem heard"**.

I must say that ad hominem attack, no matter how ridiculous it can be as a logical fallacy, is indeed very easy to do. I personally tried to look into who the person who made the argument only after I weigh the argument by itself, myself. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't. I usually dismiss an argument based first on its merit, and then try to understand how the author can think like that based on who they are. (An example would be the whole "Uno's jumps are bigger than Hanyu's if we consider an isolated case where friction with ice and air do not exist" nonsense from back then. How a person can make such argument makes sense only when I saw that they also believe "Unlike judges, even physics is on Uno's side".)

My point is, discourse on the internet most of the time is pointless, because logic very rarely prefails.

In a way, I am glad that Zu (and we) is aware of his haters, but I hope he (and we) can also disregard illogical statements uttered along the way. 

*I don't  remember the exact number. Also is that Ambessi or Dolfini?

**Ambessi liked that tweet of mine:P

29 minutes ago, Xen said:

Sometimes I do wonder...just how much does he lurk?! ( oh hai der lurker Zu if you ever stumble in here!) That entire section though, it did look as if he was working very very hard to be super diplomatic and nice about the answer-how to appear confident but not arrogant or putting others down. A hard task. I feel pretty bad for him at times since being the "standard" means needing the PR skills of a diplomat negotiating a peace treaty all the time (which btw, is not natural at all).

I don't think Yuzu really lurks all that much, I think it's more that he's very aware of the impact of his words and how what he says can be interpreted. He's certainly wary about what he says. When I watch old Yuzu interviews from when he was in his early teens he's definitely a lot more unfiltered than he is now where he really takes his time to answer questions. The difference is pretty stark. Maybe he's had some bad experiences with the media in the past? I'm not sure. 

I mean, the way he dodged the marriage/family question in his JNPC conference was next-level :13877886: But it was also kind of sad to see that he can't be as frank or direct as he might like, that he has to be vigilant about what he says because his words will be recorded and brought up and interpreted over and over again. 

It's actually true that this is a very sheltered place. Or at least, it's a place with clear rules and when those are broken, there are enough people who will point that out and not engage in certain kinds of conversation. I'd hope that that makes the planet an unattractive place for anybody who extends Yuzu-stanning to hating other skaters. Yes, I can see how there must be pockets that really do hate on Nathan right now. Here, most conversations about him focus on legitimate criticism and federation boosting power, with caveats that Nathan is very talented, a very good jumper, and only 18 and therefore capable of improving to get those scores and deserving them. The differentiation between the skater and the media hype around the skater is usually made. 

But I can also see that there's a bunch of people who call ^that^ hating, too, and that's just silly. I'll stick by my view that Nathan does indeed deserve to be called the World Champion because he is, he deserved to win that, unquestionably. But that score was ludicrous, I will be very salty that such a ludicrously scored and flawed programme nearly beat such a strictly scored and near-perfect one. And he's scored almost solely on fed power for TR, which is also ridiculous. Maybe he does have as much skating talent in him as Yuzu did at his age, but he hasn't shown the commitment to improving every single aspect of his skating to achieve perfection, and without that, we will never know just how much talent he has except at jumping. Now, is that hating? I don't think so, but I'm sure there are people who will disagree. (I will admit that my disgruntlement is also driven by what Nemesis could've been and wasn't, and I resent that because I really liked that programme in the beginning.)

I also have to say that without Yuzu in the picture, Nathan's shortcomings wouldn't be so obviously visible, without that direct comparison. I understand why they hate Yuzu. They're wrong but I get it.

17 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

I don't think Yuzu really lurks all that much, I think it's more that he's very aware of the impact of his words and how what he says can be interpreted. He's certainly wary about what he says. When I watch old Yuzu interviews from when he was in his early teens he's definitely a lot more unfiltered than he is now where he really takes his time to answer questions. The difference is pretty stark. Maybe he's had some bad experiences with the media in the past? I'm not sure. 

I mean, the way he dodged the marriage/family question in his JNPC conference was next-level :13877886: But it was also kind of sad to see that he can't be as frank or direct as he might like, that he has to be vigilant about what he says because his words will be recorded and brought up and interpreted over and over again. 

I think he was actually kind of shady about the media with some of his comments, like when he said he saw some reports about his  fans in the news even if those reports are distorted (while laughing cutely :pouty:) I think he is indeed careful but to some extent he makes sure he says what he feels and thinks saying that he knows media distort things.

27 minutes ago, Hanmgse said:

I think he was actually kind of shady about the media with some of his comments, like when he said he saw some reports about his  fans in the news even if those reports are distorted (while laughing cutely :pouty:) I think he is indeed careful but to some extent he makes sure he says what he feels and thinks saying that he knows media distort things.

For sure! I don't think he's careful in the sense that he's scared of the media, but more so in the sense that he knows just how manipulative they can be so he's not going to let them get away with it if he can help it. 

2 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

(I will admit that my disgruntlement is also driven by what Nemesis could've been and wasn't, and I resent that because I really liked that programme in the beginning.)

I relate to that so so much, watching late-season Nemesis makes me slightly bitter, because it feels like watching wasted potential tbh (of the program and of Nate himself).

ETA: I'm also beginning to realize that me being dissatisfied with his programs stems from the fact that I see so much potential in him. If I truly thought there was nothing to him beside the jumps, I wouldn't be so invested and I'd likely just ignore him. I guess my expectations are just too high. Now if someone thinks that's hate, go ahead, to me it's nothing like that.

Sorry, going way :5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1: here, I'll stop.

1 minute ago, Mastyaeva said:

As usual, let's believe in Yuzu and his smartness. 

I believe in him but we all know how hard he pushes himself. I mean, he did try to compete at Worlds despite the state of his ankle. 

But if these ice shows are later on in June/July, it should be fine. He would have gotten a good few months of rehab by then, I hope. 

54 minutes ago, Hanmgse said:

It's so impressive everytime he answers intruding questions in a polite way but still makes sure to show case his confidence and domination. And also hints about certain opinions that he just doesn't spell it out loud to the face of the world. That's basically doing 3 things at once. Sure he couldn't be as frank as he used to be, but he's no less straight forward, and I think that's a huge positive growth in character. Like coach :knc_brian3: said, 'try to keep the good things, at the same time develop some other things as well'.