General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Yoa said:

edit: the last one doesn't want to show so it's just a link

I wonder if the stress might be caused by Japanese media more than fans. I feel really bad if I think about it. If I had a camera splattered in my face 24/7 I would go crazy. I wish Japanese media would do less of that. Fans can only cheer for Yuzu at events after all. They- we- are pressure, but not a constant one. We are a positive driving force for him, of this I'm sure. But the obsession, the morbosity with which cameras follow him everywhere, that's really upsetting. He's not a God. You don't necessarily need to see him arrive at the airport (and film, him, too) or see him training before competition. I truly think the stress he goes through is ten times worse than a normal celebrity, because they actually perform on set, away from the active, living eyes of anyone. 

I wonder how this will play out in NHK. I can only hope he will be able to transform this pressure in his native country, into motivation to perform at his best. I wouldn't be able to. I think anyone would crumble. And on top of this, of course, you have international media playing on his inconsistency. Lol. They can eat my shoe. If being seen by thousands and thousands of people while you are preparing for competition AND doing the hardest things possible in the sport right now amount to THIS kind of inconsistency? You are in front of a genius. Someone who has no equal. And someone who's feeling pressure that you are not even able to imagine. 

These kind of people really lack the ability to see humanity in... well, humans. Which is all kinds of sad, but at least I can't really get mad because I feel too much pity. 

Ops, sorry, got carried away. 

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

I wonder if the stress might be caused by Japanese media more than fans. I feel really bad if I think about it. If I had a camera splattered in my face 24/7 I would go crazy. I wish Japanese media would do less of that. Fans can only cheer for Yuzu at events after all. They- we- are pressure, but not a constant one. We are a positive driving force for him, of this I'm sure. But the obsession, the morbosity with which cameras follow him everywhere, that's really upsetting. He's not a God. You don't necessarily need to see him arrive at the airport (and film, him, too) or see him training before competition. I truly think the stress he goes through is ten times worse than a normal celebrity, because they actually perform on set, away from the active, living eyes of anyone. 

I wonder how this will play out in NHK. I can only hope he will be able to transform this pressure in his native country, into motivation to perform at his best. I wouldn't be able to. I think anyone would crumble. And on top of this, of course, you have international media playing on his inconsistency. Lol. They can eat my shoe. If being seen by thousands and thousands of people while you are preparing for competition AND doing the hardest things possible in the sport right now amount to THIS kind of inconsistency? You are in front of a genius. Someone who has no equal. And someone who's feeling pressure that you are not even able to imagine. 

These kind of people really lack the ability to see humanity in... well, humans. Which is all kinds of sad, but at least I can't really get mad because I feel too much pity. 

Ops, sorry, got carried away. 

It is funny that J Media follows him everywhere but says bad things in news.

In the modern world, isn't it a bad thing to categorize someone's gender based on their look and body type? Yuzu is a MAN who made us :dpooh:

I"m sure the huge number of fans at events probably stresses him a bit too. If you look at it from his perspective, one little person looking up to see a wall of screaming people with cameras and posters all aimed at you... that is overwhelming. He knows intellectually that everyone is there to support him and he appreciates it, but still...just looking into huge crowds...how could you not be affected by it? No wonder he likes squirrels and robins!! I think I'd probably explode under his level of scrutiny.

1 hour ago, gladi said:

hi, leaving this here for everyone. going to pass out now :)

(Please do not re-upload onto other platforms. Please link to the original video to share)

That moment at 2:31 when he kneels and bows is all sorts of perfection considering the angle as Zhenya is right in front of him. He looks like a valiant knight! Ha! <3

16 minutes ago, liv said:

I"m sure the huge number of fans at events probably stresses him a bit too. If you look at it from his perspective, one little person looking up to see a wall of screaming people with cameras and posters all aimed at you... that is overwhelming. He knows intellectually that everyone is there to support him and he appreciates it, but still...just looking into huge crowds...how could you not be affected by it? No wonder he likes squirrels and robins!! I think I'd probably explode under his level of scrutiny.

He was also quoted saying that he appreciates the fan support and it's never a burden to him. But I do think there are levels of fan dedication that can possibly feel like too much for him, as it would for anyone who tries to remain grounded.  Like, despite appreciation for the fans, he knows very well that he can't really go out when it's competition time. Always needing security.  And then sometimes some fans overstep their bounds.  You can't always predict people's behavior. 

I have made a habit of looking closely at Yuzu when he's on the ice with many others, such as the openings of ice shows and galas, and particularly at those relatively unscripted finales.  I don't know if I'm reading things into it, but Yuzu really seems to come alive in ways different from when he's performing.  It appears that he is fully enjoying interacting with the other skaters and with the audience.  I'm thinking of that streamer-laden finale in Moscow and how Yuzu seems to be thoroughly enjoying playing with the streamers.  It's also plain to see how he likes to be getting up so close to the fans when he's right by the board.  When you compare what's going on in those moments and compare them with what goes on during competition, well, it seems to me that Yuzu is letting us see a part of him that is generally kept out of sight.  In fact, there seems to be an almost boyish quality there, a quality we've seen time and time again surfacing in the Kiss and Cry.  I do think Yuzu possesses one of the most expressive faces to be found in skating, in fact, almost anywhere.

27 minutes ago, beki said:

If you have time, would you mind summarizing what they said?

To paraphrase they think he has points in both programs where he can create great moments and they said when he's skating, he skates with a demeanor that says he is the best. Basically complimenting his command of the ice which they think Nate still lacks.  They gave him props for introducing the lutz and were complimentary of his technique.  Said the rhythmn of his skating works very well with it.  They thought the results could have went either way here and they think we're looking at the top 2 for the olympic podium.  They commented on the fan reaction who was crying, but it wasn't too critical. They said they felt for them comparing when they travelled to see Yuna when she ended up bombing and losing to Rachel Flatt. Oh and they said he still seems to be grounded despite his rockstar status. They were actually a little critical of Raf and how he clearly is favoring Nate and thinks someone like Mariah might want to look elsewhere and they're still surprised Adam didn't leave after Nationals when he won.  Oh and they want some viewers to send them pooh hats that they agree to wear for GPF and J Nats.  Yeah, it seemed like a completely different podcast to me too. Convenient when they have a new "venture" to get up and running.  But yeah if they want to spread Yuzu love, then I won't stop them even if it gets my side eye along the way. 

TSL being complementary to Yuzu even when he's not perfect and B.ESP insinuating he might be getting propped PCS... Is it upside down day? :slinkaway:

RE: Yuzu + media/fan obsession.

In a way, I feel like JPN media actually prepared him for this. The attention that they give young skaters is really amazing and kudos to them for giving exposure to the younger generation athletes. Downside is that it does sometimes cross over to idolatry rather than just athleticism. Some 'fans' do cross the line (If he were any other athlete I don't think he would need bodyguards). But it must be hard for your actions to be scrutinised to every single minute detail...