General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I may not be entirely correct but my father's a chef and I tried to learn everything from him - it might be because the meringues aren't completely done yet. The oven should be at the lowest of temperatures (100° celsius) and the meringues should take aprox. 1 hour, but depending on their sizes they could take a little more or a little less. When the baking time is done, don't pull them out of the oven right away. This will create a temperature trauma, and even if the meringues are completely done, they may react like you saw! So, after the baking time is up, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in there, possibly with the oven door slightly open (not completely open), for 10 to 20 minutes. This might avoid the trouble. 

If you do this and they still sog at the center, maybe there is some problem in the preparation of the meringue before putting them in the oven c: 

*And this FS international forum has just turned into an international Baking Forum. Srry*

Lol, loving that I'm also learning about baking from this forum :laughing:

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I may not be entirely correct but my father's a chef and I tried to learn everything from him - it might be because the meringues aren't completely done yet. The oven should be at the lowest of temperatures (100° celsius) and the meringues should take aprox. 1 hour, but depending on their sizes they could take a little more or a little less. When the baking time is done, don't pull them out of the oven right away. This will create a temperature trauma, and even if the meringues are completely done, they may react like you saw! So, after the baking time is up, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in there, possibly with the oven door slightly open (not completely open), for 10 to 20 minutes. This might avoid the trouble. 

If you do this and they still sog at the center, maybe there is some problem in the preparation of the meringue before putting them in the oven c: 

*And this FS international forum has just turned into an international Baking Forum. Srry*

okie will try! btw was wondering if it's ok to use microwave instead of oven? 

sorry for continuing this haha 

My grandfather was a chef - he used to leave the meringues in the oven until it was cool - said they dried out properly that way.  Mine always go toffee- ish on the bottom, which is fine because I like them that way - chewy rather than brittle.

6 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Aahh Like baking any kind of custard, then. Similar principle. It's a good way to keep cheesecake from cracking on top, too.

I wonder what kind of dessert Yuzu likes. Apart from chocolate, which he obviously likes.

8 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Well it's taken the rest of us the summer to cool off- the first month was a mixture of elation at the way this forum was taking off and venting a lot of angry frustration - very appropriate really considering tha object of our admiration - very 'kuyashii'!

Yes, but now we have competitions to worry about, so... *more deep breaths*

Getting over it. Fast-forwarding process.

1 minute ago, katonice said:

Lol, loving that I'm also learning about baking from this forum :laughing:

Baking is just the tip of the iceberg... :devilYuzu: And remember, every dessert needs a little bit of :salty:!

1 minute ago, yuzuuu said:

okie will try! btw was wondering if it's ok to use microwave instead of oven? 

sorry for continuing this haha 

I don't think the microwave is okay, because the microwave has the characteristic of cooking faster, and at higher temperatures. Instead, the meringues need the opposite! Low temperature, very slow c: Although, I don't have a microwave so I'm not totally an expert on it. Probably, you'll find ways to do it on youtube, they make everything work there xD

So, just to know, what kind of meringue are you doing? Italian, french or swiss? Because there are different methods to it and some might be easier than others. 

(Lol we don't have a baking thread yet! Should we make it? xDDD) 

2 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Aahh Like baking any kind of custard, then. Similar principle. It's a good way to keep cheesecake from cracking on top, too.

I wonder what kind of dessert Yuzu likes. Apart from chocolate, which he obviously likes.

He likes strawberry shortcake, he said it in an interview with Nobu and Shoma xD And yes, also with pumpkin pie! I did it the first time last year and was super terrified I would get something wrong, get it too runny or too tough and get it to crack on top. When it didn't, I was so fulfilled. Also, omg, best cake ever?? 

@WinForPooh

Well at least here everyone will be cheering for him and even if they disagree about what layout he should use or whether they like his costume it'll be sincerely felt supportive criticism not dislike!  Nothing to be done about the competition nerves but chocolate/alcohol/the pacifier of your choice!

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

He likes strawberry shortcake, he said it in an interview with Nobu and Shoma xD And yes, also with pumpkin pie! I did it the first time last year and was super terrified I would get something wrong, get it too runny or too tough and get it to crack on top. When it didn't, I was so fulfilled. Also, omg, best cake ever?? 

I've never baked pumpkin pie. It's a bit too humid and hot to get pastry crust right here, I have to turn cooling on before doing it lol.

Ahh strawberry shortcake.

Maybe more stressbuster baking.

3 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

@WinForPooh

Well at least here everyone will be cheering for him and even if they disagree about what layout he should use or whether they like his costume it'll be sincerely felt supportive criticism not dislike!  Nothing to be done about the competition nerves but chocolate/alcohol/the pacifier of your choice!

All the pacifiers. Oh God how did you all stand it, my first actual season and I'm breaking out in cold sweat. Despite beer and choc chunk cookies.

Just now, WinForPooh said:

I've never baked pumpkin pie. It's a bit too humid and hot to get pastry crust right here, I have to turn cooling on before doing it lol.

Ahh strawberry shortcake.

Maybe more stressbuster baking.

Are you baking right now? I wanna see the results :smiley-love017:

(I'm just about to heal from a week-long flu and I've had breakfast with a fourth of a donut... Italian donuts are dirty, dirty I tell you, and these ones were particularily huge)

9 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Baking is just the tip of the iceberg... :devilYuzu: And remember, every dessert needs a little bit of :salty:!

I don't think the microwave is okay, because the microwave has the characteristic of cooking faster, and at higher temperatures. Instead, the meringues need the opposite! Low temperature, very slow c: Although, I don't have a microwave so I'm not totally an expert on it. Probably, you'll find ways to do it on youtube, they make everything work there xD

So, just to know, what kind of meringue are you doing? Italian, french or swiss? Because there are different methods to it and some might be easier than others. 

(Lol we don't have a baking thread yet! Should we make it? xDDD) 

A French meringue I suppose. 

Hmm yeah no wonder it didn't worked out, not that my try in the oven did haha. I should check out YT now. 

(sure XD)

2 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Are you baking right now? I wanna see the results :smiley-love017:

(I'm just about to heal from a week-long flu and I've had breakfast with a fourth of a donut... Italian donuts are dirty, dirty I tell you, and these ones were particularily huge)

:consoling2: Ah, feel better soon! You have to be strong to take potential YOLO-ing.

Donut sounds good, too. Good thing I'm not an athlete, the competing would have me so out of shape so fast...

I baked cookies first thing in the morning and I'm about to palm them off on all the kids around before I eat them all. :biggrin: My Yuzu-stress-baking started with banana bread and got steadily unhealthier from there...