General Yuzuru Chat

On 4/2/2023 at 11:02 PM, RaisonStar said:

"skillful skating to pleasant music" is a perfect way to describe to Chan, I really enjoy his skating, he's a master at his craft but I've never felt he connected with or embodied music, except maybe mack the knife program. Contrast that to even a young Yuzu doing R&J in Nice and how perfectly he's able to embody music and create a story. He was a prodigy in that and it's only gotten better.

For Rondo not even an edited orchestral version would have been as perfect as the version created by Shinya Kiyozuka with Yuzu's skating in mind imo. If I watch silent or music swapped clips of it, my mind fills in the piano for me anyways

Also about some skaters skating the same program to different music, I think there's more variations between different versions of Chopin than some skaters have between completely different programs. That's why I've always found complaints of Yuzu being repetitive especially annoying.

There's a four seasons program by a very young Patrick (2007/2008) that is probably the most beautifully musical piece from him and even though he was young, it's my favorite of his because while it was obviously not as polished as later, it was still both lovely skating and musically emotionally invested. I appreciate his skills but his later programs don't seem to care much about the music (or the outfits) telling a story to match the lovely skills and so they don't work for me.

Someone like Satoko instead, who might have lacked some of the technical competition edge to have been on top of the field, matches a lot more of what I appreciate in fs and enjoy in Yuzuru's skating. They both seem to be able to tell a story with their movements and small, nuanced gestures and it makes their skating so beautiful and unique to watch.  I don't care that much for the song in the SOI opening, but Yuzuru illustrates it with such lovely moments: the little delayed turns, the way he moves his shoulders and hands and creates a motion that matches the rise and fall of the voice before the spin, it's such attention to detail that makes him so mesmerizing no matter what he skates to.

5 hours ago, YuzuJay said:

Reservations for #羽生結弦 's autobiography "Blue Fire IV -Infinite Edition-" will be released on May 2nd!

Yeah, book 4! Cannot wait to pre-order it. I am halfway through book 3 with Google translate. Like every Fanyu without Japanese language skills, I am eager to get an English version. However, I am too impatient to just wait for overseas publishing companies to do it, although it would be highly profitable from my point of view. 

7 hours ago, australianyuzurufan said:

I like the way you have referred to Yuzuru treating his old programs as his children. He puts so much time into choosing his music and working with his choreographers to express every note with his body. We have seen this most recently with POTO which he performed magnificently and with so much love.

Yuzu refers to the programmes like this, which is the best description for something created from the heart and treated with a lot of love. Hence why fans refer to some programmes as something chan, a term of endearment as well.

20 hours ago, nekodearu said:

@Henni147 Thank you for all your information and analysis. I greatly appreciate your insights and envy the knowledge that allows you to break down Yuzu's skating in such detail and understand its compexity thoroughly. It is also extremely satisfying to have such precise tools to demonstrate why he is superior and that it is not entirely subjective or dependent on individual taste, as some would claim, as most of the factors you point out are measurable.

Yes, exactly. There are different AI tools already that can measure a skater's or dancer's precision regarding timing, tempo, pitch etc. This is not subjective in evaluation at all. In fact, the more precise your technical translation of the music is, the harder it is to exchange the piece. Each music piece or arrangement has its unique "fingerprint" that requires an equally unique choreography. You cannot just do whatever you want as a skater or dancer. The music determines what you can and what you are allowed to do.

Yuzu the choreographer strikes again. No wonder it feels and looks so different from the rest. His is sharp, somber and matches/expresses the music to a T. Others are cheerful, fun and a bit messy (which is obvious, no one here competes in synchronous skating after all). 

But this comes to show that Yuzu can pull off an NA-style choreo, AKA Keegan or Patrick kind of skating, if he so desires LOL

9 hours ago, Conspirata said:

There's a four seasons program by a very young Patrick (2007/2008) that is probably the most beautifully musical piece from him and even though he was young, it's my favorite of his because while it was obviously not as polished as later, it was still both lovely skating and musically emotionally invested. I appreciate his skills but his later programs don't seem to care much about the music (or the outfits) telling a story to match the lovely skills and so they don't work for me.

I don't think his programs (or outfits) lack care for the music. It's more like "hey, this is what I'm comfortable with so imma stuck with it" kind of thing. He knows his skating skills are god-send so that's what he focuses on, a tunnel vision, if you will. The music is there to highlight his strengths, not to accompany them. That there is little versatility in his programs also doesn't help.

For a lack of better word, his are very much Canadian. Like, I don't think you can find programs that are more Canadian (or North American) than Patrick's LOL. 

On 2023/4/3 at 午後5時22分, fuzz_ball_21さんが言いました:

Ohh, thank you so much!  :thankssign:

This seems to be a video shown at the welcoming ceremony of new employees of ANA in 2018.

In Japan, majority of new graduates enter companies in April.