General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Ricecakey said:

It looks like at any time Yuzu can skate any of his past programs. He really loves them like his own children and cares about them a lot.

I don't follow other skaters that much. Does anyone have a large amount of programs and practice them often?

Max Ambesi said this in his documentary, that some skaters change music and costume and call the programme something new, but the choreo is same from one programme to another.

Have a little experiment yourself, for a given skater, open YT in 2 tabs, select 2 of their programmes, in one each tab then play both, mute the tab which is being watched to see if the choreo works with different music. Max is experienced commentator, so he knows what he is talking about.

9 hours ago, alittlepetrichor said:

i found these on Joosep Martin's website, he's a sports portrait photographer and he took many pictures of Yuzu. I liked these in particular, they're very striking. Putting them under a spoiler cut because they're big :)

Hide contents

yh2.png

yh1.png

yh3.png

His photos are amazing, I'd love it if he went to one of yuzu's ice shows. Some of my favorites, hopefully I did the spoiler right

Spoiler

FZFTJZzUIAASbXY?format=jpg&name=largeFYPgvyzVUAIBtuI?format=jpg&name=largeEbOS9UpWkAAaui9.jpgIYirjDA.png

8 hours ago, Ricecakey said:

It looks like at any time Yuzu can skate any of his past programs. He really loves them like his own children and cares about them a lot.

I don't follow other skaters that much. Does anyone have a large amount of programs and practice them often?

I too do not follow any other skaters.  At the moment I am really into Mrs Green Apple, one of Yuzu's beautiful skating.  So so love it

7 hours ago, Perelandra said:

Max Ambesi said this in his documentary, that some skaters change music and costume and call the programme something new, but the choreo is same from one programme to another.

Have a little experiment yourself, for a given skater, open YT in 2 tabs, select 2 of their programmes, in one each tab then play both, mute the tab which is being watched to see if the choreo works with different music.

Exactly. However, I don't think that everyone sees the difference between actually interpreting the music and skating in a way that meets the overall mood of the song. Last season I saw on YT, iirc, Yuzu's Rondo with an altered soundtrack, based on some orchestral version (extracted from Shcherbakova's FP?). Someone in the comments section expressed their delight at how it fit perfectly. I remember that I was honestly surprised reading this, because my impression was quite the opposite, I saw a big difference, which for me was the ultimate proof of Yuzu's exceptional skills. Of course, the overall effect was still beautiful (after all, Saint-Saëns is great music and it was still Yuzu who skated, and we all know that his skating is captivating by itself, as you can see when the video is muted or even in slow-mo), but many of the most delightful details that make the movement of his body seem an integral part of this classic work were lost. 

As far as I understand from various interviews, the soundtracks for Yuzuru's programs are very carefully edited, with great precision, and then the choreo is adjusted so that each movement corresponds to such things as phrasing and musical accents, either following them or remaining in a kind of dialogue. When we change the soundtrack, we lose this unique connection that makes his performances unparalleled. 

But apparently not everyone pays attention to these things, which is perfectly fine - as long as it doesn't get in the way of properly evaluating Yuzu's and other skaters' work. Unfortunately, judges and commentators too often failed to distinguish between "great interpretation of music" and simply "skillful skating to pleasant music". The most notable example for me was "the king of skating skills", Patrick Chan - just mute his Free from Sochi and tell me: what is it about, where there are major slowdowns and longer pauses in the soundtrack during the program and when Winter begins.

1 hour ago, nekodearu said:

Exactly. However, I don't think that everyone sees the difference between actually interpreting the music and skating in a way that meets the overall mood of the song. Last season I saw on YT, iirc, Yuzu's Rondo with an altered soundtrack, based on some orchestral version (extracted from Shcherbakova's FP?). Someone in the comments section expressed their delight at how it fit perfectly. I remember that I was honestly surprised reading this, because my impression was quite the opposite, I saw a big difference, which for me was the ultimate proof of Yuzu's exceptional skills. Of course, the overall effect was still beautiful (after all, Saint-Saëns is great music and it was still Yuzu who skated, and we all know that his skating is captivating by itself, as you can see when the video is muted or even in slow-mo), but many of the most delightful details that make the movement of his body seem an integral part of this classic work were lost. 

As far as I understand from various interviews, the soundtracks for Yuzuru's programs are very carefully edited, with great precision, and then the choreo is adjusted so that each movement corresponds to such things as phrasing and musical accents, either following them or remaining in a kind of dialogue. When we change the soundtrack, we lose this unique connection that makes his performances unparalleled. 

But apparently not everyone pays attention to these things, which is perfectly fine - as long as it doesn't get in the way of properly evaluating Yuzu's and other skaters' work. Unfortunately, judges and commentators too often failed to distinguish between "great interpretation of music" and simply "skillful skating to pleasant music". The most notable example for me was "the king of skating skills", Patrick Chan - just mute his Free from Sochi and tell me: what is it about, where there are major slowdowns and longer pauses in the soundtrack during the program and when Winter begins.

"skillful skating to pleasant music" is a perfect way to describe to Chan, I really enjoy his skating, he's a master at his craft but I've never felt he connected with or embodied music, except maybe mack the knife program. Contrast that to even a young Yuzu doing R&J in Nice and how perfectly he's able to embody music and create a story. He was a prodigy in that and it's only gotten better.

For Rondo not even an edited orchestral version would have been as perfect as the version created by Shinya Kiyozuka with Yuzu's skating in mind imo. If I watch silent or music swapped clips of it, my mind fills in the piano for me anyways

Also about some skaters skating the same program to different music, I think there's more variations between different versions of Chopin than some skaters have between completely different programs. That's why I've always found complaints of Yuzu being repetitive especially annoying.

4 hours ago, nekodearu said:

Correct, this is the essence of whether a skater has good skills to put to music or really interprets as an artist who appreciates nuances within the music itself. Just the same way people prefer one musician over another when it comes to playing and interpreting a particular piece of music e,g comparing different concert soloists or conductors. 

Yuzu is an artist, as fine as any classically trained Primo asuluta appearing with a world class ballet company. Some of us also have a suspicion that when he talked about only knowing the very basics of music - that his mother showed the keys of the piano, Yuzu is once again being modest about his music skills. Yuzu certainly displays great musicality and a talent for dramatic interpretation, like a master of ballet