General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, Geo1 said:

I’m sure that it’s been on other people’s minds as well, but Yuzu really likes to tempt fate doesn’t he? His big jump for the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics was the quad Lutz and he was practicing that at the 2017 NHK Trophy when you know what happened.

I’m hoping, wishing and praying with all my might that Yuzu will successfully tame Nessie and remain healthy and injury free.

Ack! No, Yuzu shall remain injury free on this one, regardless of success or failure. I decree it to the universe that it shall be so.

(Ya hear me, universe? I've got my eye on you...)

6 hours ago, Geo1 said:

I’m sure that it’s been on other people’s minds as well, but Yuzu really likes to tempt fate doesn’t he? His big jump for the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics was the quad Lutz and he was practicing that at the 2017 NHK Trophy when you know what happened.

I’m hoping, wishing and praying with all my might that Yuzu will successfully tame Nessie and remain healthy and injury free.

Well, he broke the second GP jinx at NHK2019 and has also attempted 4As this spring at the very venue where NHK2017 took place. That said, controlling the 4A must be tricky, especially during the official practice and 6-minutes warm-up where other skaters are on the ice, so I also hope, wish, and pray for his safety.

In the interview Yuzu said he wants to jump the 4A in NHK not that he will jumps it.So there is a possiblity that there will be no 4A.I just wonder how the pratices for 4A will go especially with 6 other skaters on the ice at the same time.One of the reasons Yuzu opt to stay in Japan is because of its easier for him to practice 4A when he is the only one on the ice in Sendai right?

Guest Mary_kyo

As much as Yuzu is amazing, spectacular, genius, etc etc… he is also human. So honestly, we should consider that his SP will be the first pancake and very possibly will not be clean and attempting 4A in competition will be very different from landing in practice so I would not expect two clean programs in madness levels. No doubts, he will be amazing and will show what figure skating actually is but he will need more competitions to reach his goals and the ideal performances he desires. :loveshower:

11 hours ago, DancingFeather said:

We have to rename Nessie when it clearly appears. What was the most favorite suggestion again?

I don't know, but looking at fans' reactions to his latest announcement, the most fitting term is probably "yonkaiten supernova".

But is it really just me who got much calmer and relaxed AFTER the 4A news?

I would be honestly more worried if he didn't plan to land it at NHK, because that would mean:

a) The 4A is nowhere near ready, perhaps not even in sight

b) Something went wrong in the preparations and he's forced to skip it

c) He has changed his priorities again for whatever reason

In fact, I am really happy now, because chances are good that he has made significant progress in practice.

I think, we can expect Yuzu to be heavily pregnant with little giant Quaxel-chan by now :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Joking aside, I expect him to attempt the 4A in his first practice session on Thursday and maybe in the FS run-through as well, because:

• He needs to check the ice conditions and adapt the jump to reduce the risk of injury to a minimum
  • It might take too much energy out of him to test the jump on competition day, and Thursday is the only practice day without comps
  • Landing the 4A successfully in practice would give him some confidence and an opportunity for the audience to stomach the first shock/excitement
  • Attempting it in the run-through would be a good test to maintain his focus for the next element (regardless of success or failure)

If he aims for a good performance, it's crucial for him to keep his concentration after the 4A. In that sense, it might be actually beneficial for him that the crowd is not allowed to scream. Clapping alone is less distracting.

Another big plus to go for the 4A here at NHK:

No jetleg or long exhausting travelling and it's the first comp of the season, so it's the best chance for him to be in the best possible physical condition. It will be more and more difficult and hence more dangerous as the season progresses.

Whatever happens, I wish him a successful competition and cross my fingers that he stays happy and healthy :cheer:

Fun fact:

In his career, Yuzu has landed all solo quad jumps successfully at first attempt with positive GOE:

• first 4T attempt at the 2010 NHK Trophy with 1.29 GOE
  • first 4S attempt at the 2012 Finlandia Trophy with 0.83 GOE
  • first 4Lo attempt at the 2016 Autumn Classic with 0.80 GOE
  • first 4Lz attempt at the 2017 Rostelecom Cup with 1.14 GOE

Except the 2017 Rostelecom Cup, all events were his first competition of the season.

I will not go to the venue but I looked up on NHK site (http://nhk-trophy2021.jp/faq.html) and found out the audience could cheer only by applause and clapping hands (no voice, no screaming). And they will not be allowed to throw the flowers and gifts. I am sorry for them because they could not scream at the last Japanese nationals with Yuzuru's two new programs and costumes, and of course amazing performances. But I am very sure he will feel love and support from all over the world. 

I hope Yuzuru is going to show up in good shape next week! (I can't believe I am saying "next week"...:shocked:)

10 hours ago, Paskud said:

I have hard time believing that he would prepare completely new program only to plan possibility of doing it once in competition.

OTOH, since JNats20 whenever he is asked about retirement, he just giggles and changes topic (read: he is scheming something). He is terrifying.

That's what I'm thinking too. Whenever I hear something along the lines that Yuzu might not even want to go to the Olympics, I'm thinking if he wouldn't want to go, why would he then put in all the time, work and effort to prepare a new SP? And apparently an SP with piano music which is rather the kind of program that one would use for an Olympic season.

Yuzu can do whatever he wants. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. Even landing the 4A is his own goal and dream and not something he's doing to impress anyone else.

That being said, he's still a passionately competitive guy who's always loved to compete and win. So, if he still has the motivation and drive to get himself a third Olympic gold medal, he'll go for it. If he does compete in the Olympics, he'll still be one of the absolute favorites to win, no matter what media (North American media) might want to convey.

But no matter what, I just want him to be happy, satisfied with himself and be healthy! Go, Yuzu! :cheer: