General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Well, if that's the person I am thinking of, she's from Nagoya... and a lot of people from that club seem to have made it their purpose of living to talk trash about Yuzu. They're not doing themselves a favour in the general Japanese public - as far as the public even notices - and they aren't helping their own skaters either, because they are only seen as jealous sore losers.

Slightly OT, I'm curious how they'll react when Marin starts to - hopefully - do well in senior competition, especially overseas, since she's with the Osaka club, AFAIK.

And it's really ridiculous to accuse YUZU of all people to have become "internationalized," because for one thing, a thing that comes up constantly in his interviews in Japanese media, is how much he misses Japan in general and Sendai in particular. As for rude, that goes beyond ridiculous, there isn't ANY other Japanese skater who uses beautiful polite language as much and as correctly as he does.

When I was reading this discussion, my thoughts immediately jumped to Marin. Very few skaters seem as emotional as Marin.

Is emotional openness really so frowned upon in Japan? Especially showing good emotions? Are Satoko and Shoma really the ideals of behavior? (My Mom can't warm up to Satoko because "she's such an unemotional doll", we're from Eastern Europe). Yuzuru's emotional openness can't be the result of his training abroad - he was just as demonstrative under Nanami Abe. Unless this is something that gets temepered with age, but in Yuzuru wasn't because of spending much time abroad? 

And, hey, there's Oda. In some people it's just genes, no matter cultural conditioning, right?

2 minutes ago, lilsailor said:

so essentially if your not the 'perfect little Japanese boy' you're westernised, arrogant and rude😂

The funny thing is, that isn't Yuzuru actually "perfect little Japanese boy"? I've always thought that it was one of the main reasons of his popularity. 

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

Oh well, this calms me up a little. At least the general Japanese public knows better than to actually listen to them. That's a relief. Maybe Western Federations will think twice about it when next time they will ask favours for Shoma, or something along those lines. I think Shoma is skating "on the razor's edge", as they say. 

I`m not sure what you mean by "on the razor's edge" - ^^; - but personally, I think Shoma might benefit from "going international" himself. (Though  I doubt they'd let him go.) Or maybe just get another Japanese coach. Because having, pretty much for the first time, I have to admit, thought about the whole thing, I can't help wondering now if it's not the fault of overbearing control that makes him often come across as awkward...

As for the general public, most people have no interest in inter-club squabbles, they just admire Yuzu because he works hard to be successful, has overcome great handicaps to do that - both personal, like his allergies, and general, like all that resulted from the earthquake - and that he is fiercely loyal and supportive of his home - and Japan - and the people there. In a time in which many things, unrelated to figure skating, aren't as good as they good be in Japan, he really has become a great hope and inspiration for lots of people.

And no silly old sourpuss from Nagoya is going to change that, if she doesn't do anything but whine all day. :P

(But maybe I should write an explanation that at least to some extent explains why Nagoya is as it is, now. It's not only about skating.)

1 minute ago, Moria Polonius said:

The funny thing is, that isn't Yuzuru actually "perfect little Japanese boy"? I've always thought that it was one of the main reasons of his popularity. 

Isn't he very popular with mothers or won or ranked high in many polls about who'd you take home to meet your mother? I vaguely remember something like that.

On 6/1/2017 at 11:11 AM, Katt said:

But why the toothbrush need bluetooth, or it play music while you brush your teeth  

Well if you want to sell it in Japan that's probably the minimum requirement :laughing: you're lucky if it doesn't also sing and dance and scold you when you don't brush properly

9 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

When I was reading this discussion, my thoughts immediately jumped to Marin. Very few skaters seem as emotional as Marin.

Is emotional openness really so frowned upon in Japan? Especially showing good emotions? Are Satoko and Shoma really the ideals of behavior? (My Mom can't warm up to Satoko because "she's such an unemotional doll", we're from Eastern Europe). Yuzuru's emotional openness can't be the result of his training abroad - he was just as demonstrative under Nanami Abe. Unless this is something that gets temepered with age, but in Yuzuru wasn't because of spending much time abroad? 

And, hey, there's Oda. In some people it's just genes, no matter cultural conditioning, right?

Historically, largely due to social necessity of various kinds, something like stoicism has been valued in everyday life of normal people, with grand emotions, usually connected to great tragedy, relegated to plays and in modern times, to TV, movies, entertainment in general. Catharsis by proxy, pretty much.

That has changed some in the last decades - though expressing intense emotions is still done more in private than in public - but even IF it still were the case, Yuzu would even then be allowed to express his emotions as he does, generally on the ice or related to his skating, as he is among the people - performers, entertainers, which includes sports people, in Japan - who are allowed to do that, in the appropriate circumstances.

The whole accusation is just simply silly.

4 minutes ago, Pamigena said:

Well if you want to sell it in Japan that's probably the minimum requirement :laughing: you're lucky if it doesn't also sing and dance and scold you when you don't brush properly

I had to wonder if it's bluetooth connected to your smartphone and transfers data to your health app to keep track whether you use dentist approved brushing practices. And counts down for you brushing time and such... @_@

Bullied by your own toothbrush! :rofl:

9 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I`m not sure what you mean by "on the razor's edge" - ^^; - but personally, I think Shoma might benefit from "going international" himself. (Though  I doubt they'd let him go.) Or maybe just get another Japanese coach. Because having, pretty much for the first time, I have to admit, thought about the whole thing, I can't help wondering now if it's not the fault of overbearing control that makes him often come across as awkward...

As for the general public, most people have no interest in inter-club squabbles, they just admire Yuzu because he works hard to be successful, has overcome great handicaps to do that - both personal, like his allergies, and general, like all that resulted from the earthquake - and that he is fiercely loyal and supportive of his home - and Japan - and the people there. In a time in which many things, unrelated to figure skating, aren't as good as they good be in Japan, he really has become a great hope and inspiration for lots of people.

And no silly old sourpuss from Nagoya is going to change that, if she doesn't do anything but whine all day. :P

(But maybe I should write an explanation that at least to some extent explains why Nagoya is as it is, now. It's not only about skating.)

I would definitely be interested in that explanation! 

By razor's edge I meant 'at risk', 'on the edge of failure', although this last one seems a bit too dramatic. This meaning that if he doesn't get favoured anymore, his jump mistakes will get called more, and this depends on Nagoya's approach to Western Federations too, to an extent, or at least so I think. 

8 minutes ago, Pamigena said:

Oh I like this :biggrin: . A toothbrush make loud noise and chase you around when you refuse to brush your teeth :fear:

What is this old salty xenophobic lady doing, throwing shade to a boy who bows every time he sees a Japanese flag and doesn't ever let the flag to touch the ground, while always making sure to fold it super neatly????? Her skater, on the same exact podium as Yuzu, didn't even bow after the national anthem was done playing  :confused: And doesn't even use the correct term while talking about Yuzu, who is not only a senior in FS world by a long shot, Yuzu debuted at 15 okay, he is also 3 years older! :disappointed: 

Just keep the shades coming Nagoya, let's see which one is better :popcorn:  50 Shades of Yuzu by Nagoya or my version of 50 Shades Darker of a-certain-someone-who-is-proudly-presented-to-you-by-Nagoya :devilYuzuf:

On 6/1/2017 at 12:08 PM, b138oo said:

What is this old salty xenophobic lady doing, throwing shade to a boy who bows every time he sees a Japanese flag and doesn't ever let the flag to touch the ground, while always making sure to fold it super neatly????? Her skater, on the same exact podium as Yuzu, didn't even bow after the national anthem was done playing  :confused: And doesn't even use the correct term while talking about Yuzu, who is not only a senior in FS world by a long shot, Yuzu debuted at 16 okay, he is also 3 years older! :disappointed: 

Just keep the shades coming Nagoya, let's see which one is better :popcorn:  50 Shades of Yuzu by Nagoya or my version of 50 Shades Darker of a-certain-someone-who-is-proudly presented-to-you-by-Nagoya :devilYuzuf:

For correction, Yuzuru debuted at the Senior level when he was 15. 

1 minute ago, meoima said:

For correction, Yuzuru debuted at the Senior level when he was 15. 

Ah.. his birthday is in December... :facepalm: gonna edit my post 

9 minutes ago, Katt said:

Oh I like this :biggrin: . A toothbrush make loud noise and chase you around when you refuse to brush your teeth :fear:

That actually sounds like a TV commercial I could totally see happening :rofl:your toothbrush going all Godzilla on you