General Yuzuru Chat

I've been deep in finals week hell for the past week and can't believe how much I have missed :confused: 

I think i just went through the five stages of grief in 5 minutes, re: Chopin 3.0. I also read on twitter there are rumors of Seimei 2.0??? I don't know how to feel about that :/ but knowing you guys you probably already went through your own crisis a few pages ago lol

Originally I was scared about Chopin 3.0 but after rewatching NHK/GPF Chopin & the original choreo etc from ice shows, im less worried... 

Yuzuru and his team have (I hope) thought about it, and if this was they decided was the best way forward then ok, I can accept that.. I'm still going to support him even though I wished we could get a new program.. heck he could do a program set to the BBC news intro music dressed as  yellow sun and I'd still wake up at 5am to watch his competitions.. 

if this is what they decided will get him OGM2 then I'm all for it.. ( also Chopin is beautiful and I needed a reminding of its beauty) 

6 hours ago, meoima said:

As a sport fan, I support Yuzuru because he is a sport man first and foremost, not because he is an artist or so. If I need art, I have art at classical music world already. This is sport, whoever has the best strategy and mindset win.

6 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

To be fair, it's also Yuzu's fault, somewhat, if people expect to have both, because he's been saying (and not just saying, he's been doing it) he wants to blend both.

My thinking is the opposite. It's precisely because of his commitment to the artistic side that he may decide to recycle Chopin and Seimei. He could easily have a huge upgrade in tech with new programs and music if he wanted to by stripping out the transitions and the difficult choreography. Knowing Yuzu, he'd be unwilling to compromise on that (hello 4Lz in spread eagle sandwich) so something has to give.

I also don't see how material that is used again is any less artistic for being recycled if it is brilliant. Anna Pavlova performed The Dyan Swan thousands of times. Michael Jackson and Smooth Criminal, Martha Graham and Lamentation, Yang Liping and the Peacock Dance...the list goes on. The same goes for musicians and their music as well.

I would also prefer new material but if I had to pick between new material or increasing his chances of winning a second OGM...well, there's no question the OGM is more important.

4 hours ago, meoima said:

I assume Chopin 3.0 will be very close to the original Chopin 1.0 with Spead Eagle Quad spread eagle // 3A + quad combo in the second half RIGHT on the 2 consecutive musical notes.

Personally, I do want a new program from Yuzuru. But Chopin 1.0 has never been skated clean. If we talk about a true art in CoP, then Chopin 1.0 would make it. 

Perhaps while we were assuming Chopin 2 had wrapped this music up for him, he was dissatisfied with the way the original had to be abandoned.  Maybe if this hadn't been Olympic season we would have had Chopin 3 last season.

I won't deny at first I was quite surprised at Yuzu reusing Chopin. Actually more than disappointed I felt a bit worried, but now I see that his BV will still be higher and there is a chance for further upgrading, so this reassures me a lot. Also we know Yuzuru has proven countless times he knows what he's doing. In the previous pages we had a bit of gloom and doubts, but I think it just proves how emotionally invested we are in him, and after cooling down and reconsidering, it looks that gloom it's over  :67573730:.

I'm sure Yuzu himself was aware of the backlash that could come because of his choice, even from his fans, so this further proves to me he has taken this decision with his eyes wide open.:0006: And in retrospect, we totally should have seen it coming, given his recent talks about Jason Brown's SP  and his emphasizing that he wants to raise his average and bring out his best qualities (such as jumping beautiful jumps and executing programs with high quality). Some of his programs made me :ohno: at first, and now I absolutely adore them:7938863::7938863: So I will just trust him, and cheer for him and support him no matter what.

(And he has already sold me with that 4T3T :smiley-love017::7562096:)

About rumors of Seimei 2.0, actually the more I think about it the more I like the idea, as I'd be very curious about what Yuzu can pull out. Chopin and Seimei are his most iconic combo. "Going beyond the ideal" indeed :laughing: Forget the going safe thing, Yuzu really has some guts!

(Though I'd still be overjoyed if he has a new LP)

Now I go to catch up with the Makuhari thread:popcorn:

About Chopin once again: I understand Chopin3 is his strategy for the 2nd OGM and I will surely love the program, it will be so great. He is anxious to win gold and I do hope it because he is such an amazing skater. The quads, pressure and the hard season with two new programs have also effected to his SP choice.

But still, he won WC and GPF with two new programs. And what happens to Figure skating in general if many skaters, especially top ones, start to repeat their programs for three seasons? Could this happen in the future because of the quads. No time for new programs any more.   

i think sp really needs to be a repeat program. olympic has A LOT of pressure. i cant imagine the nervousness these athletes will have when shouldering your country's pride like that, especially yuzu being the reigning champion. short program is also where mistakes absolutely can NOT happen, as it would throw you out of the top already and unless you go clean and your opponents mess up badly (like in WC 2017) the chance for medal is very, very slim.

familiar program helps when you are nervous, your body just moves naturally since all the moves have been ingrained in your subconscious. of course it doesnt mean you will definitely go clean with it, but it helps. and this way he can focus on his tech side a bit more.

so the only two choices are chopin and lgc. since he never really got to a perfect lgc, he went with chopin. this is absolutely reasonable and a smart move. it also looks like he went with the original chopin that was performed in ice shows years ago. although i'm pretty sure improvement will still be made here and there anyway.

35 minutes ago, Lyyli said:

About Chopin once again: I understand Chopin3 is his strategy for the 2nd OGM and I will surely love the program, it will be so great. He is anxious to win gold and I do hope it because he is such an amazing skater. The quads, pressure and the hard season with two new programs have also effected to his SP choice.

But still, he won WC and GPF with two new programs. And what happens to Figure skating in general if many skaters, especially top ones, start to repeat their programs for three seasons? Could this happen in the future because of the quads. No time for new programs any more.   

Skaters have more often than not reused programmes, especially during Olympic seasons - this is the norm, two new ones would be more unusual.

Just finished reading like 100 pages here and in the FaOI thread. I'm rather surprised at people's confused & a bit gloomy reaction to Chopin 3.0, because right after my brief phase of pure surprise, I was happy about the program choice. So was 90% fans in my other Yuzu news source, weibo, who pretty much rejoiced in the return of Prince Chopin. Here's what I thought:

- We get to see something we thought was perfection further perfected, bc he certainly will do that. It will be dreamy.

- A program he's familiar & comfortable with, like PW, helps taking off Olympic pressure (that's gonna be huge), save time for other things, and is expected.

- It'll help him achieve continuous cleanliness, which as is shown by Zhenya's & his own experiences with PW, is super important for the score.

- As for it being a third season, I don't think judges mind it, esp. not as much as fans do. They are a big part of the reason that warhorses are war horses, after all.

- The past records could serve as a baseline for scoring. If he goes clean again and judges withhold, it'll be glaring.

- The above being said, I don't think he's playing it safe & easy by choosing Chopin. The program's got world records & perfection stamped all over it. By choosing to do it he's choosing to undergo immense pressure and making "going beyond the ideal" his obligation. In this sense, he's as extra as ever, if not on a new level.

Sorry for maybe reiterating some things already said ;P I'm just trying to sort through my thoughts.

47 minutes ago, Lyyli said:

Well he won GPF with not-perfect SP and not-very-good LP. Yes, he was the best of the field there, but the level was nowhere near the one we saw at Worlds. And at Worlds he made only one mistake which being in the SP costed him a lot, and honestly the kind of perfection we saw in his LP can't be expected all the time, and even then judges didn't throw his score to the roof (unlike a lot of people was expecting). It was a close call. I think the deflation in his GOE and PCS may have weighted in his awareness of "I have to go clean(ish)" more consistently (consistently as he is expected to, which means more than anyone else, unfair but that's how it is). :consoling2: And it is true that in SP mistakes are very costly. I agree with you that Chopin can (will) be great, both for him and for us.

The only real reason for being upset is that it's already the third time, but I don't think Yuzu will set a trend there...well, he is a trendsetter, but if you choose to repeat a program, you are also expected be able to bring to it something new, and it maybe be not that easy. For sure Yuzu can. Others...who knows. Also with the change of rules after the Olympics a lot could change, maybe even the attitude towards quads, if they will start to stress more quality over quantity, with broader range of goe and maybe a change in pcs too, so we'll see. I want to be positive about all of this:pbow:

7 minutes ago, PomeloPooh said:

- The above being said, I don't think he's playing it safe & easy by choosing Chopin. The program's got world records & perfection stamped all over it. By choosing to do it he's choosing to undergo immense pressure and making "going beyond the ideal" his obligation. In this sense, he's as extra as ever, if not on a new level.

:iagree:

I have been watching his past performances of Chopin, and I now am very excited about the new season .Last season one of Yuzuru's goals was to improve his artistic expression and so he chose LGC and H&L. Both programs were amazing and very challenging, but he made them work even with technical mistakes. So now I am looking forward to seeing how this experience and the things he learned last season will affect his performance.