General Yuzuru Chat

6 minutes ago, kaerb said:

It would be a nice gesture for Mr Noriaki to carry the flag -- 8 Olympics is pretty incredible :knc_tracy1: Is he the only one older than Yuzu? (excluding Chris and Kana) That's absolutely ridiculous to me - surely other winter sport athletes have a longer sporting lifespan?? 

Probably. I don't follow any other winter sports to be honest. :biggrin:

19 minutes ago, kaerb said:

It would be a nice gesture for Mr Noriaki to carry the flag -- 8 Olympics is pretty incredible :knc_tracy1: Is he the only one older than Yuzu? (excluding Chris and Kana) That's absolutely ridiculous to me - surely other winter sport athletes have a longer sporting lifespan?? 

*whispers* if not Keiji then Mura or Daisuke might make the team

Eta: and Mura was 2015 WTT captain over Yuzu so

5 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

*whispers* if not Keiji then Mura or Daisuke might make the team

Right?? I highly doubt Yuzu is the oldest.

That being said, I feel like w/ flag-bearing, it would be seniority but based on results. So if there's someone older than Yuzu on JP Olympic team with non-gold Olympic medals and a healthy track record in their field (aka. Mr Noriaki?), they'd probably take precedence over him. Or maybe that's what I hope for him since being flag bearer right after team event sounds tiring AF, especially since they all have to conserve their energy because of the back-to-back SP and FS ugh. 

(it's so weird to me that 4yrs of build up will be over in a mere 2 days........ the ship has long sailed for bemoaning the scheduling but honestly, if they wanted to avoid the danger of subpar FS, maybe consider scheduling events that give athletes some recovery time, especially those competing in team events :facepalm:)

25 minutes ago, kaerb said:

ice hockey team are all older than yuzu afaik 

17 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Clean-up is done, we're only a few years pages apart from each other guys :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:  We're reaching 2000 still in November :bliss-smiley:- hopefully in a couple of hours? I can't wait to read your posts when I wake up tomorrow!  :grouphug:

If we're determined we can reach it in a couple of minutes :laughing:

Should I prepare the fireworks now

2 hours ago, lilsailor said:

maybe if he wins 2nd ogm [no jinx] he might bear it for the closing ceremony

First, I was unaware of the importance the Japanese give to seniority.  I was thinking how at the Rio Olympics it was Michael Phelps, who had sat out the other four Olympic opening ceremonies he was at, was voted by the other athletes to carry the flag.  So I admit I was speculating without knowing all the circumstances  there.  Now, as to the closing ceremony, the way of operating, a way dating back to the summer Olympics in Melbourne in 1956, at the suggestion of a schoolboy all the flags came in in single file and then the athletes entered en masse, mixing together for the ceremony.  Generally the formality at the closing is less intense and there's generally a party atmosphere prevailing.  The only time I can recall that the party atmosphere just wasn't there was in the 1972 Munich Olympics, where 11 Israeli athletes and coaches were taken hostage by terrorists and in the ensuing rescue attempt died.  There was a pause in the games but eventually the games continued and the final ceremony proceeded, yet I remember watching it and seeing that while there was a general sense of festivity, there was also a sense that those involved were not really that joyful.  I presume that will not be the case this Olympics and I can see that Yuzu could very well be the flag-bearer and would almost certainly be carrying the flag if he repeats as gold medallist.  Perhaps Yuzu might sit out the opening ceremony.  Does anyone know whether he participated at Sochi?  In any case, if he does participate he will probably get more on camera time than the flag bearer as he will obviously be the most internationally prominent Japanese athlete there.

Just now, DaPurpleDino said:

a collection of his birthday cakes :) hope he gets a big one this year :biggrin:

also almost 2000 pages!!

So all look super good :tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp:Make his big cake that looks just as good as this and it will be good. Best cake for going back to Olympics :tumblr_m9gct8HYvv1qzckow: