General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

I don't think I ever knew this either! I'm sure some on here will have been aware though - Yuzuru is such a clever clogs!!

Yuzu spoke about this whilst showing some of his notebooks, calculating potential scores for the various programmes. He also mentioned in an interview about how he had once missed a jump or jump combo as a youngster and then repeated the jump which caused loss of marks due to the Zayak ruling. Yuzu vowed never to make the same mistake again. He and Nanami sensei tried to come up with a strategy in order to avoid this is future. During H and L Yuzu said that he had to make rapid calculations in his head about what jump to put into the programme in order to bring his score back up whilst avoiding a Zayak, Yuzu faltered on a jump and could not complete one of his combos. No doubt going over potential possibilities using his notes and an app would help to ensure that the mistake was not repeated.

Inevitably humans make errors, failing to learn from a mistake is a wasted opportunity. Yuzu is intelligent to recognise this and create a tool for the purposes of both his own records and for learning

Interestingly Javi also spoke of having lost marks during a comp for a Zayak, probable that many skaters have also done this

edit typos, the letter d seems to be causing me some problems today!

4 hours ago, Perelandra said:

Yuzu spoke about this whilst showing some of his notebooks, calculating potential scores for the various programmes. He also mentioned in an interview about how he had once missed a jump or jump combo as a youngster and then repeated the jump which caused loss of marks due to the Zayak ruling. Yuzu vowed never to make the same mistake again. He and Nanami sensei tried to come up with a strategy in order to avoid this is future. During H and L Yuzu said that he had to make rapid calculations in his head about what jump to put into the programme in order to bring his score back up whilst avoiding a Zayak, Yuzu faltered on a jump and could not complete one of his combos. No doubt going over potential possibilities using his notes and an app would help to ensure that the mistake was not repeated.

Inevitably humans make errors, failing to learn from a mistake is a wasted opportunity. Yuzu is intelligent to recognise this and create a tool for the purposes of both his own records and for learning

Interestingly Javi also spoke of having lost marks during a comp for a Zayak, probable that many skaters have also done this

edit typos, the letter d seems to be causing me some problems today!

Didn’t Javi loose the bronze medal in Sochi because of such a mistake?

1 hour ago, Madita said:

Didn’t Javi loose the bronze medal in Sochi because of such a mistake?

38 minutes ago, KosKoltrast13 said:

I believe Javi did a fourth combination/sequence jump that was invalidated 

Javi talked about losing out during a comp for Zayak in his documentary. Correct a jump was invalidated and Javi lost all the marks for the jump even though his performance was otherwise excellent.

Yuzu made his Zayak error during a competition earlier on in his career. He was of course really disappointed and then went on to think about how he had not been prepared, due to inexperience, and how he would make up for a 'missed' jump, should this ever happen again. Yuzu was wise to be prepared and Nanami sensei had helped him to make plans to cover these kinds of eventualities in future. 

There are some jobs which have a fall back mnemonic, known as the five P's

Poor preparation leads to p*** poor performance. A simple but effective message delivered by trainers to trainees

8 hours ago, Perelandra said:

Javi lost the bronze medal to Dennis Ten at the 2014 Sochi Olympics when he inadvertently Zayaked during his free skate. He did not realize that he had committed this error and was surprised/disappointed in the Kiss and Cry when he saw his score. He fell from bronze medal position after the short program to fourth place by a mere 1.18 points behind Dennis Ten.

Ironically, Dennis was the ultimate loser for having won the bronze medal, but that’s another story.

Edit: It has always amazed me how quickly Yuzu was able to switch gears and change his program when he made a mistake in order to regain lost points. A case in point is his Seimei free skate when he failed to complete his second quad toe loop combination. He immediately changed the following jump combo to try to make up for the points lost.

20 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Javi lost the bronze medal to Dennis Ten at the 2014 Sochi Olympics when he inadvertently Zayaked during his free skate. He did not realize that he had committed this error and was surprised/disappointed in the Kiss and Cry when he saw his score. He fell from bronze medal position after the short program to fourth place by a mere 1.18 points behind Dennis Ten.

Ironically, Dennis was the ultimate loser for having won the bronze medal, but that’s another story.

Edit: It has always amazed me how quickly Yuzu was able to switch gears and change his program when he made a mistake in order to regain lost points. A case in point is his Seimei free skate when he failed to complete his second quad toe loop combination. He immediately changed the following jump combo to try to make up for the points lost.

Yes, Javi also mentions in the documentary that it was only when he watched the recording of the Free programmes that he realised about the Zayak

Yes also about Denis Ten, it is quite nice to be able to remember Denis Ten, watching him in the Sochi footage, so happy on the podium next to Yuzu at both the flower ceremony and then the medal ceremony.

9 minutes ago, DancingFeather said:

Sorry for being:offtopic2: . Do we have any information about 24h charity TV this year? It has been too long since we saw Yuzu's skating.😥

It will start on the 26th and finish on the 27th. Partecipants will be revealed by the end of this week. 

3 hours ago, Geo1 said:

It has always amazed me how quickly Yuzu was able to switch gears and change his program when he made a mistake in order to regain lost points. A case in point is his Seimei free skate when he failed to complete his second quad toe loop combination. He immediately changed the following jump combo to try to make up for the points lost.

If memory serves, either Yuzu or Brian mentioned once in an interview that Yuzu would deliberately think through different jump layouts, and practice his programs with them, specifically as a backup plan in case he missed a jump and needed a save. 

I think once the rules changed to penalize failed jumps harder, he stopped changing jump layouts on the fly.