General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, robin said:

He seems to have learned that he performs better when he is in a good physical state (LOL) and the importance of staying healthy and being careful which I am obviously very glad he did. I trust that he is taking better care of himself now and won't overtrain recklessly. Although... how many quads did he say he jumps during practice? Was it 40? 60?

He finally figured that out after so many years...Healthy body is so luxury to Yuzu:sadPooh:

6 minutes ago, Summer said:

I have the Time of awakening Blu-ray. I haven’t watched it in a long time so I just try to remember what’s on it.

It’s divided in different chapters according to seasons. The chapters have some nice practise and backstage footage, and some of his best programs. Unfortunately, the K&C moments are cut off. Most of the performances are from competitions held in Japan like Japan Nationals and NHK. Thankfully it also has the FS from Nice and both of his Sochi performances. It ends with his WC win in Saitama.

I think most of it is on the internet spred in different videos, but it’s nice to be able to see them in the right order. Naturally it’s in Japanese and there are no English subtitles. The picture quality is excellent.

The bonus materials are early programs like a really cute Sing Sing Sing and some footage from his Sendai parade after Sochi. And there is a small booklet with pictures.

As a fan I’m happy to have it. I hope there will be Part II after PC Olympics. However, if you can watch all your favourite pre-Sochi programs in good quality somewhere else, I’m not sure how useful it'd be for you.

Thank you very much for the information! To be honest, I'd be tempted to get it just for HQ Sing Sing Sing ^_^; I might look to see if I can find it in Japan when I go next, rather than order it from here, though...

As for the talk about excuses vs weakness, he actually said it himself, I think possibly during the interview with Kenji... Anyway, I agree, he's not afraid to show weakness and that whole "Are you a strong person?" "No, I'm weak." is further proof of it. He knows he's human and he knows absolute perfection is impossible, but I also think he feels that he can only try to reach for it and in a way, the sky's the limit. If perfection were attainable, that'd be his limit and he's said he doesn't think he has limits. I'm not sure this makes any sense as I'm somewhat asleep lol. I don't think he'll ever seriously berate himself for failing to perform while seriously injured. But. Boston for example. He'd been injured during the record breaking performances at NHK and GPF, too. Maybe not as badly - though, technically, he was better again before Boston - but still. So it's not really an excuse. I'm also pretty sure he was taking painkillers (I'm a little unfamiliar with what medicine is allowed in FS, but I think it has been mentioned he's taken painkillers at other times, too?) and I doubt his problems were directly injury related. So why mention it? Especially why mention it before?

And I'm sure there was more I wanted to say, but... my pillow calls out to me lol

1 hour ago, Summer said:

I have the Time of awakening Blu-ray. I haven’t watched it in a long time so I just try to remember what’s on it.

It’s divided in different chapters according to seasons. The chapters have some nice practise and backstage footage, and some of his best programs. Unfortunately, the K&C moments are cut off. Most of the performances are from competitions held in Japan like Japan Nationals and NHK. Thankfully it also has the FS from Nice and both of his Sochi performances. It ends with his WC win in Saitama.

I think most of it is on the internet spred in different videos, but it’s nice to be able to see them in the right order. Naturally it’s in Japanese and there are no English subtitles. The picture quality is excellent.

The bonus materials are early programs like a really cute Sing Sing Sing and some footage from his Sendai parade after Sochi. And there is a small booklet with pictures.

As a fan I’m happy to have it. I hope there will be Part II after PC Olympics. However, if you can watch all your favourite pre-Sochi programs in good quality somewhere else, I’m not sure how useful it'd be for you.

Coincidentally, I just bought my copy this past weekend as I'm still sifting through/reading the 2014-2015 season fanfest on GS and this DVD was brought up (throwback! it sold very well). Your information would have been very useful in helping me make a decision then, but now that the deed is done at least I know what I got coming in the mail. :2thumbsup:

47 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Coincidentally, I just bought my copy this past weekend as I'm still sifting through/reading the 2014-2015 season fanfest on GS and this DVD was brought up (throwback! it sold very well). Your information would have been very useful in helping me make a decision then, but now that the deed is done at least I know what I got coming in the mail. :2thumbsup:

I bought the Blu-ray when it came out and you won't be disappointed with your purchase. Being able to watch Yuzuru's performances in HD and stereo on larger TV screens and home theatre systems over two or three hours can never be a bad thing!

Just note for anyone buying Yuzuru's Time of Awakening that the DVD is region coded 2, if you don't have a DVD player that plays region 2 DVD's you won't be able to watch it on your standalone DVD player (for reference, US and Canada DVD players are Region 1, Europe and Japan are Region 2).

Luckily the bluray version is all region, so it should be playable on any standalone bluray player.

I will note that the audio seems different, as if they've swapped in the actual music and mixed it into the video. It's much more crisp and clear than what I even hear inside the rink. There isn't a lot of dialogue and any speaking is done by Yuzuru himself, so you don't need to know Japanese to really enjoy it (plus the menus are in English, which is useful).

8 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

That whole part of the docu is really hard for me to watch. 

I have the same impression, he doesn't want to be seen as "making excuses" for his mistakes.

However, if he knows why those mistakes happened and he's not trying to convince himself that he should be able to give a perfect performance regardless of physical or mental state, i don't care if the media or anyone else are kept in the dark about it. I mean, no matter how much you want to do something, you can't ask your body to do more for you than what it can deliver in a certain physical state, we're only human...

I remember watching the interview when he talked about his severe injuries that kept him off training for two months ( which we all know it was such a big deal for someone whose skating is his life) and he talked about that with a smile and a light atttude. Somehow that makes me feel so much more emotional seeing him smiling like that talking how he envisioned it might be his last skate...it just hit me so deeply:sadPooh:

Just realized I'm a baby pooh now:sadPooh:. I did it :smiley-happy085:

23 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I'd be curious to see what Brian thinks about these things, for sure. Because I'm still not sure they agree on the intensity thing. Even in Helsinki, when Brian was trying to point out that Yuzu being less intense probably contributed to the result, while to Yuzu it felt like he didn't have enough energy :snmouchotto:

Their discussion at K&C has remained in my mind too. That´s an interesting point of view. I understood the lack of energy and intensity as two different matters. Like he felt lack of energy because of mental reasons related to SP and because he was probably skating with an empty stomach. And being mentally a bit tired prevented him from overthinking during the program so he was calmer and could focus only on skating. 

These are really details, maybe even not worth of mentioning, but sometimes some words become important and stay in mind for long. And yes, Yuzu seems to coach himself more and more now that he´s an adult and studying things related to the mental side of sports.

55 minutes ago, Lyyli said:

Their discussion at K&C has remained in my mind too. That´s an interesting point of view. I understood the lack of energy and intensity as two different matters. Like he felt lack of energy because of mental reasons related to SP and because he was probably skating with an empty stomach. And being mentally a bit tired prevented him from overthinking during the program so he was calmer and could focus only on skating. 

These are really details, maybe even not worth of mentioning, but sometimes some words become important and stay in mind for long. And yes, Yuzu seems to coach himself more and more now that he´s an adult and studying things related to the mental side of sports.

Didn't Yuzu say in an interview somewhere he was about to say "I didn't have enough energy for a 5th quad"? I think he said he was thinking about doing 5 in the free at Helsinki after the SP but during the performance he wasn't sure if he had the energy for the 5th one. In that case, both he and Brian are talking about two different things since Yuzu never got to finish his sentence.

26 minutes ago, Lyyli said:

I think it's easy to have different interpretations, given

Yuzu's English level and also all the factors we don't know.

To me, that he mentioned the lack of energy right after Brian said he was calmer seemed to hint either at the intensity being more like energy for him, either a misunderstanding. (There was some other time when Brian misunderstood him, in K&C, either because he didn't hear him properly or was distracted by waiting for the result, though I don't remember when.) I'm not sure the empty stomach had much to do with it... hasn't that been the case in all events since GPF? Admittedly, that's just 4CC, SP and LP and Worlds SP. He hasn't said anything like that then, though I guess that doesn't mean he didn't feel it. So, yeah... who knows? lol

I think it is good he's very self-aware and makes an effort to be even more so. I just hope he'll put Brian's advice first, ahead of what he reads in books and such, because Brian seems to know what he's doing. Sometimes Yuzu might be right and Brian not so much - 4Lo - but generally, Brian seems to know what he's doing. I hope their communication is now really good, so even if Yuzu gets other ideas, he can discuss them with Brian to make sure they don't clash.

10 hours ago, CupidsBow said:

Oh I know he's not afraid of showing weakness, but just doesn't like making excuses! I just didn't know how to word it succinctly >< He has good self-awareness I think. I get the feeling he learned a lot from Boston....

I thought you probably meant the same thing. It's easy not to find the right words to express your point. But I thought it'd be an interesting point of conversation anyway and it seems I was right. I hope it didn't seem like I was correcting you or so, as that wasn't my intention :snmouchotto:

1 hour ago, kiches said:

Didn't Yuzu say in an interview somewhere he was about to say "I didn't have enough energy for a 5th quad"? I think he said he was thinking about doing 5 in the free at Helsinki after the SP but during the performance he wasn't sure if he had the energy for the 5th one. In that case, both he and Brian are talking about two different things since Yuzu never got to finish his sentence.

It is very possible he meant the 5th quad, you are right. He said also after WTT that he needs more strength to be able to do it.

18 minutes ago, Lyyli said:

It is very possible he meant the 5th quad, you are right. He said also after WTT that he needs more strength to be able to do it.

Wasn't that at WTT? I don't remember talk of 5 quads at Worlds... but that could just be my memory... And actually, how could he have done it? (I get confused with the repeating jumps rules again)