General Yuzuru Chat

We are now living peacefully in Sendai.

We received support from all over the world at the time of the Great East Japan Earthquake.

I am very grateful. :grouphug:

I would like to write here about my happy memories.

I watched the 2018 ice show "Continues with Wings" live at a movie theater in Sendai.

When Yuzuru skated SEIMEI at the ice show, the woman next to me was in tears. The audience all applauded.

I have never been to a figure skating competition. but I have been to ice shows three times.

Fantasy on Ice Niigata 2018

I had a distant seat, but I was able to find Yuzuru right away.

His moves are clearly different from those of other skaters.

He skated Haru yo koi. He was elegant and beautiful.

After he finished skating, I stood up and applauded, saying "Great, he is the best".

The spectator next to me smiled and said, "I think so too". We had a happy time. :happy0065:

Stars on Ice Hachinohe 2021

Hachinohe is far from Tokyo. Some gave up getting tickets because of the pandemic.

However, Many locals came to the ice show. Many of them are not skating fans.

That is, they did not know what would happen at the ice show.

At the opening, Yuzuru skated to the song 'Blinding Lights'. It was forbidden to speak at the venue.

But voices were heard from the audience. :eek::loveeyes: :redface:

The audience was really surprised. :giggle:

Yuzuru skated Let's Go Crazy. What a gorgeous quad! His jumps are artistic.

He was cool and sexy. The audience was very happy.

Fantasy on Ice Makuhari 28 May 2022.

Lucky for me, I won a ticket. There was a huge crowd in Makuhari. It was like a rock festival. :rock:

Many of the spectators near me were young.There were also male audience members.

I had a far seat, so everyone had opera glasses. 

Everyone was watching Yuzuru dancing to the opening song. He is a born star.:heartpound:

During the break, there was a huge line for the restrooms.

So I could not see coach Ghislain.

However, I was able to talk to Yuzuru fans.

As you know, Yuzuru skated a programme called Real Face. The lighting in the hall was very flashy and varied. :animated-smileys-character-075:

It was very cool. I could clearly see that he was expressing his skating differently than before.

His expressiveness is outstanding. When he finished his performance, the entire audience stood up and applauded.

We had a great time. :loveshower:

For me, English composition is like muscle training. :0007::5918bda8ee9b0_0001(1):

Thank you for reading. :smiley-love017:

1 hour ago, beinatoilet said:

Im looking for Otonal practice at TCC. I believe it was his first verson of Otonal. I watched it on youtube before but now i couldnt find it back. Anyone has that video could kindly enough send back to me? Thank you so much!

I can find the first "Origin" practice at TCC and the first "Otonal" practiced at a comp, but this is the only thing I could find of it at TCC for that time period:

3 hours ago, umeko said:

We received support from all over the world at the time of the Great East Japan Earthquake.

I watched the 2018 ice show "Continues with Wings" live at a movie theater in Sendai.

When Yuzuru skated SEIMEI at the ice show, the woman next to me was in tears. The audience all applauded.

I have never been to a figure skating competition. but I have been to ice shows three times.

After he finished skating, I stood up and applauded, saying "Great, he is the best".

The spectator next to me smiled and said, "I think so too". We had a happy time. :happy0065:

Hachinohe is far from Tokyo. Some gave up getting tickets because of the pandemic.

At the opening, Yuzuru skated to the song 'Blinding Lights'. It was forbidden to speak at the venue.

Lucky for me, I won a ticket. There was a huge crowd in Makuhari. It was like a rock festival. :rock:

Many of the spectators near me were young.There were also male audience members.

Everyone was watching Yuzuru dancing to the opening song. He is a born star.:heartpound:

As you know, Yuzuru skated a programme called Real Face. The lighting in the hall was very flashy and varied. :animated-smileys-character-075:

It was very cool. I could clearly see that he was expressing his skating differently than before.

His expressiveness is outstanding. When he finished his performance, the entire audience stood up and applauded.

For me, English composition is like muscle training. :0007::5918bda8ee9b0_0001(1):

Thank you so much for this beautiful testimony with all the details about your personal experience, the atmosphere in the venue, the perspective of the audience and your reception of Yuzuru's performance in those different places and moments - when it's personal, it really helps the reader to almost feel as if you're taking us with you for a brief moment. 

Also, super nicely put together. :flowers:

Watching all the videos, although we can see all the close-ups on Yuzu (especially in the video from Nagoya), is not comparable to an in-person experience and being in the audience. We could clearly see Yuzuru's expressiveness, but my impression is after reading about your memories, that there is this extra factor that is hardly possible to grasp, when you're only watching a video. You need to be there, in the venue, cheering if only quietly and letting yourself feel the atmosphere of the moment. 

Anyway - thank you very much again, great to "meet" someone from Sendai. 

18 hours ago, Xiupia said:

Good news, new photobook incoming! Our photographer Yutaka Nagabuko will be releasing the 4th installment of the “Yuzu’ll be Back” series :dancingpooh:

Covering 2021-2022! Probably going to be released on July 6th!

This would be a nice birthday present for me. :love:

By the way the book ist bestseller No. 1 in the category "book" on Amazon Japan. :agree: ....not really surprising for me.😊

5 hours ago, umeko said:

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Keep these beautiful experiences always in your memory.:heart:

8 hours ago, littleorange said:

The change from one 15-year-old girl to another in Russia is not due to a “loss of interest” by the age of 17. But because there is very little real interest and passion for figure skating as such. But parents have a lot of ambitions to raise another juvenile Olympic champion at the peak of his "maximum performance" (only no one says that this performance is at its maximum only in jumping, and not in skating skills, not in artistry, etc.). Why are parents so ambitious? Because sport in Russia is a social elevator - you can get money, love from fans, fame. You can skip compulsory school lessons, go to university without exams and skip all classes, not educate yourself as a person, because you will get a diploma anyway. The same "deserved" and "real" as some of the competition medals. Probably the Western world cannot even imagine such a thing, that higher education can be just a soap bubble. So it turns out that getting a medal is the ultimate goal of an athlete (I deliberately say "get", not "deserve". It was Yuzuru who was dissatisfied with the performance in Sochi and promised to show excellent skating at the second Olympiad in 2018, because he felt the responsibility and pressure of the title). Russian girls have it differently. Immediately after the Olympic medal, you can ride in ice shows for a couple of years and after that you will have a great life, doing very little at the same time - for example, becoming an official (who agrees with Putin's speeches about the need for war). Or become a media person who also broadcasts the position of the ruling elites to society, because the elites pay and support so many media people. And yet, at the age of 15, you can become a "legend of sports" in your own country - without winning anything really and without bringing anything to this sport yet. Do these girls have a desire to develop themselves and develop sports in general in such a system? To increase the level of artistry or skating skills? What do you think? Of course not. A new "generation" of the same young ambitious children and their parents is already breathing down their backs. Especially when there are opportunities to get a medal. Because there are loopholes in refereeing, and refereeing itself is dishonest, because there is collusion between federations and spheres of influence, and the second score (PCS) appears out of thin air. 
Of course, there are exceptions among Russian athletes, but they are rare. The position of the majority causes sadness. Like the position of parents who deliberately spoil the physical health of their children with huge loads, poor (cheating) equipment, and in addition they also load them with psychological trauma.

But it seems to me that even without the introduction of age restrictions, this system would sooner or later gobble up itself. And I want to believe that something can change.
I do not deny that being an athlete is a huge job, and these children work no less than others. But some not entirely correct result is obtained from these efforts. My friend's child (a 6-year-old girl) has been figure skating for three years now. Her mother is constantly posting what is called "best moments" on her network. During these three years, I have never seen even a semblance of a smile on the face of this child. Small focused robot - in training and competition. And this makes me sad too, because it is not clear whether it is right to dispose of childhood like this. But I remember the genuine smiles and laughter in Yuzuru Hanyu's archived videos and tell myself that this is not the case everywhere.

I would like to note how pleasant it is to watch 20+ year old skaters from Japan at FaOI, how diligently they skate programs, how their hours of training work in skating skills are visible. They are so magical and have sparks in their eyes!! Do they have a chance to collect medals in the current judging system? Of course not. But that doesn't stop these athletes from training and getting better. They are still on the ice. Shizuka Arakawa (who hasn't competed for a long time), but even at 40 years old, is a delight. Maybe she does not slide at high speeds, like a "Russian rocket", but this does not make her less spectacular. 

Sorry for my english. To be honest, there are so many thoughts in that I just typed the text in my native language into Google Translate and posted it here.

I concur. There are huge societal pressures and potential all sorts of damage to young impressionable people, who may due to young age be at risk from manipulation by unscrupulous adults. These can be grouped together under Safeguarding issues. 

Unfortunately, for wider discussion, there are many over ambitious, pushy adults and organisations who are able to take advantage of other people's talents, not just limited to Figure Skating. Think - child models and celebrities of the past, lots of problems, in rehab for addiction, robbed of childhood etc etc. Tragic

5 時間前, umekoさんが言いました:

Hearing from a person living in Sendai is speciall 😆

Thank you ❣️

10 hours ago, littleorange said:

The change from one 15-year-old girl to another in Russia is not due to a “loss of interest” by the age of 17. But because there is very little real interest and passion for figure skating as such. But parents have a lot of ambitions to raise another juvenile Olympic champion at the peak of his "maximum performance" (only no one says that this performance is at its maximum only in jumping, and not in skating skills, not in artistry, etc.). Why are parents so ambitious? Because sport in Russia is a social elevator - you can get money, love from fans, fame. You can skip compulsory school lessons, go to university without exams and skip all classes, not educate yourself as a person, because you will get a diploma anyway. The same "deserved" and "real" as some of the competition medals. Probably the Western world cannot even imagine such a thing, that higher education can be just a soap bubble. So it turns out that getting a medal is the ultimate goal of an athlete (I deliberately say "get", not "deserve". It was Yuzuru who was dissatisfied with the performance in Sochi and promised to show excellent skating at the second Olympiad in 2018, because he felt the responsibility and pressure of the title). Russian girls have it differently. Immediately after the Olympic medal, you can ride in ice shows for a couple of years and after that you will have a great life, doing very little at the same time - for example, becoming an official (who agrees with Putin's speeches about the need for war). Or become a media person who also broadcasts the position of the ruling elites to society, because the elites pay and support so many media people. And yet, at the age of 15, you can become a "legend of sports" in your own country - without winning anything really and without bringing anything to this sport yet. Do these girls have a desire to develop themselves and develop sports in general in such a system? To increase the level of artistry or skating skills? What do you think? Of course not. A new "generation" of the same young ambitious children and their parents is already breathing down their backs. Especially when there are opportunities to get a medal. Because there are loopholes in refereeing, and refereeing itself is dishonest, because there is collusion between federations and spheres of influence, and the second score (PCS) appears out of thin air. 
Of course, there are exceptions among Russian athletes, but they are rare. The position of the majority causes sadness. Like the position of parents who deliberately spoil the physical health of their children with huge loads, poor (cheating) equipment, and in addition they also load them with psychological trauma.

But it seems to me that even without the introduction of age restrictions, this system would sooner or later gobble up itself. And I want to believe that something can change.
I do not deny that being an athlete is a huge job, and these children work no less than others. But some not entirely correct result is obtained from these efforts. My friend's child (a 6-year-old girl) has been figure skating for three years now. Her mother is constantly posting what is called "best moments" on her network. During these three years, I have never seen even a semblance of a smile on the face of this child. Small focused robot - in training and competition. And this makes me sad too, because it is not clear whether it is right to dispose of childhood like this. But I remember the genuine smiles and laughter in Yuzuru Hanyu's archived videos and tell myself that this is not the case everywhere.

I would like to note how pleasant it is to watch 20+ year old skaters from Japan at FaOI, how diligently they skate programs, how their hours of training work in skating skills are visible. They are so magical and have sparks in their eyes!! Do they have a chance to collect medals in the current judging system? Of course not. But that doesn't stop these athletes from training and getting better. They are still on the ice. Shizuka Arakawa (who hasn't competed for a long time), but even at 40 years old, is a delight. Maybe she does not slide at high speeds, like a "Russian rocket", but this does not make her less spectacular. 

Sorry for my english. To be honest, there are so many thoughts in that I just typed the text in my native language into Google Translate and posted it here.

2 hours ago, Perelandra said:

I concur. There are huge societal pressures and potential all sorts of damage to young impressionable people, who may due to young age be at risk from manipulation by unscrupulous adults. These can be grouped together under Safeguarding issues. 

Unfortunately, for wider discussion, there are many over ambitious, pushy adults and organisations who are able to take advantage of other people's talents, not just limited to Figure Skating. Think - child models and celebrities of the past, lots of problems, in rehab for addiction, robbed of childhood etc etc. Tragic

@littleorange Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the realities of skating in Russia. As @Perelandra says, unfortunately it's quite widespread. In Spain, going to a soccer game for children just 8-10 years old can become a very unpleasant experience because of those parents who dream toxically of having a potential little Messi.

It's clear that raising the minimum age isn't going to be a solution by itself. As long as Eteri-type coaches are allowed, as long as competition scores remain so fraudulent, as long as results and interests are put above people, FS will continue to be a very toxic place for any skater.

6 hours ago, umeko said:

Thank you so much for sharing your memories. It's been a little bleak waking up the past couple of mornings with no fresh FaOI content to look forward to. But your descriptions were almost as good -- I smiled all the way through! 

Arigato gozaimasu!

:puddingpooh: