General Yuzuru Chat

IIrc, on one occasion, during Yuzu's performance of Chopin Ballade, one of the comments made about Yuzu was that he seemed to be creating the music or that the music was emanating from him. Such was the power of his performance, Yuzu was able to connect utterly with the performance and spectators. Truly amazing. Son of Apollo for sure

( ref. Percy Jackson novels and the half blood demi gods )

1 hour ago, Yuzurella said:

Is this man even human?!? How is this even possible? This is absolutely mind blowing!!! :jaw:

I guess the laws of physics are suspended on Planet Hanyu... :eek:

The other day I have read a comment (I don't remember where) about Yuzu's insane edges and saves. The comment was made by someone who studied physics and it went something like this: Yuzu actually doesn't defy gravity, better yet, he understands it and knows it as well as his body and what it can do - which is a reason why he has insane saves on jumps anyone else would not be able to hold on to and why his edges are so deep.

I think that's actually a more beautiful (excuse the exaggerated comparison degree) interpretation of Yuzu's skating, edges and saves. Of course, the running joke of "Yuzu defying gravity" still stands. But it was interesting to see someone explain what he does in a "scientific" manner.

As examples, there were his besti squat 3A save from Faoi Nagoya Day 3 and his insane WTT21 3A save. For the former, he torqued his left shoulder hard and swung his weight outwards (something like that), while for the latter he used the weight of his left-free leg and hip flexibility to swing and counter-balance the weight of his upper-body. He has insane muscle memory and, frankly, I'm not even sure if he realizes what he does in the moment he does it.

10 hours ago, Perelandra said:

IIrc, on one occasion, during Yuzu's performance of Chopin Ballade, one of the comments made about Yuzu was that he seemed to be creating the music or that the music was emanating from him. Such was the power of his performance, Yuzu was able to connect utterly with the performance and spectators. Truly amazing. Son of Apollo for sure

Absolutely. He is not simply responding to notes, but he's co-creating the performance as composed of various forms of artistic expression, he's in a dialogue, in a conversation with the music. HYK is a good example. At first you think he's beautifully following the notes, while in fact, this is much more nuanced. Melody is flowing, but he's pausing, coming in, accelerating, slowing down again. He's also accentuating the notes, with his body often following the melody line. Here he's going down together with the music going into lower notes where his hands are drawing a circle on the ice, and then going up, as if picking something up and releasing it. 

It is composed of little sequences like the one below ending with that beautiful spin exit.

2 hours ago, Muffinator said:

Does anyone know what age Yuzu was when he jumped his first 3A? How about his first quad?

Aah, I watched this a couple of days ago.

Mr. Ambesi mentions when Yuzu jumped his first 3 A, but I can't remember when. I cannot check right now either, but it's pretty early on in the lecture shortly after he talks about seeing Yuzu for the first time. It's somewhere around when Mao Asada is mentioned as Yuzu watched her 3A and realized he could do it too. 

About his first quad - I don't know and I don't think I saw it mentioned. Maybe in an old coverage back when he was preparing for the 2011-2012 season it's mentioned.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

@Sun_Rise

Glad you are fine, clearly a soul made of bravery and strength. Brava

Yuzu skating is always sublime. When Yuzu skates to slower musical pieces he flows with the music and his expression is beauty personified. It is no wonder that Yuzu's skating has inspired dance recitals and that musicians want to collaborate with him. 

I don't remember if the ice show tour with the intended live performance of Notte Stellata and Il Volo ever took place. That would have been magnificent.

The Music with Wings concert was wonderful as well

( maybe I'll try to learn Rondo, I can't play the violin now, because post COVID has drastically affected my joints, including small joints of hands )

btw: would love to try to go to comp in Europe, if Yuzu participates