General Yuzuru Chat

11 minutes ago, PomeloPooh said:

Re: the new version of Ballade highlighting Yuzu's "improvisation," with no set theme & expressing what he's feeling at the moment

That's very interesting. It reminds me of how back at NHK 2015 he had that otherworldly fierce look on his face at the end of the program, and after noticing it he paid attention to contain his competitive self at GPF (this info is actually from one episode of Kenji no Heya). Now he's taking a different approach apparently. That could be a reason for why this new Chopin feels sharper, more commanding & powerful than before. Yuzu's "man on a mission" mode oozing out I suppose. I love it!

:rofl::rofl:

1 hour ago, yana said:

Yuzu always quad and triple make people confused. So the writer might think he do 4Lo because of his jump height.

There's also the take-off that's different. 4Lo take-off has waaay deeper edges than a 3Lo take-off. I am not very good at identifying jumps, but I'm 95% sure I'd be able to distinguish Yuzu's 3Lo from his 4Lo. The quad has its own unique rhythm when taking-off. I guess, though, it depends on how dark it was... 

there's only one solution: GIVE US THE BROADCAST NIIGATA. 

On 6/20/2017 at 2:59 PM, Smultron said:

@Murieleirum Yay, your ava is back :love:

Oh boy, those deep edges on the 4Lo... I still haven't recovered from the awesomeness of that 4Lo at Worlds, a thing of beauty  

I don't want to recover! I will love it forever! The 4Lo fanclub will stay strong! Still waiting to see perfect 4Lz tho.

And yes, I missed throwing kisses!Yuzu too much. :winky:

15 hours ago, kaerb said:

Don't see why we can't start a J->E 勉強 thread? o: I can start a topic in the Translations Forum if there's interest? I think it'd be nice to post questions we have with translations/vocab or check our understanding! And yep, I'm a native English speaker and really happy to help you with finding 'natural' expressions :agree: 

I was going to do the timestamps but then Geo1 linked a word-for-word translation so I think I'll check that first and maybe post about specific words I couldn't hear? Really appreciate your help! ( :

I would love to contribute to that one! I need to post more in the Japanese study one myself. I have a question about Yuzu's speech at the end of the last Niigata show.

13 hours ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I'm qualified as translator/interpreter but I did that way way back when in university for supplemental income. ;) In my work it's a side benefit to my company that I can do it. 

Practically speaking, I am trilingual and can translate either way. Interpret, as well, but I never did simultaneous, and have avoided unscripted, not so much because I couldn't do it, but because you never know - especially in politics - when some idiot shoots of their mouth and you only have the choice of translating accurately and be crucified or make it sound less offensive and still be crucified, if by different people from the first. 

And some things I'd never do because I know I don't have the requisite knowledge, like attempting E > J for a Stephen Hawking lecture. I can comprehend what he says in English - barely, sometimes - but putting that into Japanese? 

Oh, for just kanji check, do you know Jim Breen's edict? It has its own weirdnesses but at one time it was popular with language students and at least might provide additional info.

Jim Breen...way to bring it back. Completely forgot about that one! I just went to the site and it looks exactly the same from the early 2000s.  When I'm on the computer I just convert to good 'ole jisho.org. For my phone I actually have an app I really like called Takoboto.  I like it more than Jisho actually and it allows you to compile a list in case you want to refer to that word you looked up later. I think google translate does it too but...meh.

6 hours ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Aside from a few early not highest level politics jobs I've avoid that, because to me it was mostly pointless grandstanding for photo ops. They could have probably done everything by fax as well. 

Give me some nice easy actors on a movie promotion tour any day over a politician: the content is a lot easier, pay per hour not all that much different and if you're lucky, you get something nice to look at. ;)

And you are completely right about the necessity to understand cultural background, especially when you consider that it exist even between Europeans, who have a fairly homogeneous background. And the same inside Asia, with Japan in particular. ^^;

Nathan Chen I think I heard only once on TV - I freely admit I'm only interest in maybe a handful of skaters, including some professionals - but I also know what you mean about fast talking teens. 

Though for Americans, for me it depends on the region, for interpreting. NY, Wash., DC, Boston and New England area I find easy, California I've gotten used to through experience, but midwest or south? Texas and Louisiana are my particular nightmares New Orleans is a great city, but it's like, do they really speak English??? :facepalm::rofl:

Okay, some regional talk in Japan is a nightmare, with the elderly in particular - Yuzu's beloved Sendai also isn't among the most easy to understand. ;) (Phew, last minute save from completely off topic. ^^; )

I was born, raised, and currently live in Washington, DC so my accent is as Washingtonian as it gets.  I'm surprised people don't have trouble with Bostonians.  I would think their lack of R's could get confusing for people (kinda like the southern twangs). "Pahk the Caah" "Wicked Smaaht" :laughing: Though not all of them sound like that I've noticed. When my one friend met me she said my accent sounds like someone you'd hear on the news as a reporter, so I assume I have a fairly neutral American accent. 

5 hours ago, sister555 said:

Luckily for Japanese learners, Yuzuru talks in clear cut standard accent.  The problem is it's usually so fast!

We Japanese fans love Sendai adverb ジャス (pronounced "jasu").  It's only used in Miyagi Prefecture.

ジャス is short for ジャージ.

ジャージ in Japanese means "jersey", but usually refers to gym uniforms or track suits.

We use ジャス like ”ゆづのANAジャスかっこいいよね!!” (= Yuzu's ANA jasu is cool) :)

I actually don't find speed to be an issue. If I know the word he says, I understand it. Same with Nobu. But the issue is I don't know a lot of the words he says, lol.  On the flip side, I usually can understand Shoma and Satoko easily.  

On 6/20/2017 at 2:59 PM, Smultron said:

@Murieleirum Yay, your ava is back :love:

Oh boy, those deep edges on the 4Lo... I still haven't recovered from the awesomeness of that 4Lo at Worlds, a thing of beauty  

Right in front of me in that free program (along with the 4S/3T). I was one lucky gal.  :bow:

*ETA* I thought new posts are supposed to automatically amend to the prior post when you double post.  I don't know how to copy new quotes into old posts lol. 

14 minutes ago, meoima said:

Oda has a lot to say sorry for the fans... he is being so close to Yuzuru that makes people get jealous.

Though I can't get mad at Oda san, because he convinced Yuzu to don the nekomimi and neko-paws and pose for a photo :67638860:

At least I think it was Oda san's doing.

As long as he continues to supply us with those cute photos, I can't really get jealous of him lol!

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 3:19 AM, Dara said:

Pyeongchang Olympics will have flower ceremony after free programs (just like in Sochi), and medal ceremony will be held next day at Olympic Plaza.

To attend medal ceremony you'd need separate ticket (2000 won) to enter the Plaza. 

Olympic Plaza at this moment is still under construction (scheduled to be done by September), it's in ~28 km from Gangneung station

:( I really don't understand why they can't have the ceremony on ice! I think that when it's heald on the ice it's way more memorable for the skaters and also for the public after feeling so many things with the performances. Imagine Worlds 2017 ceremony didn't take place after the skating. NOOOOOOOOO. I really don't like this :(