General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

I've always wished that after Pyeongchang he'd be able to skate just for the love of skating, without looking at placements or points. I love that there's Nessie out there and now that he's actually satisfied and fulfilled he can go in search for her without worrying too much about winning or losing. 

Before the Olympics I worried about him. Not just about the injury, but about what it meant. Winning in Pyeongchang seemed too important to him. When he said something along the lines of the Olympic victory being the moment that would give all his life meaning, I thought "Wait, so if you don't win Olympics your life will have been meaningless?" (And if I remember correctly, he confirmed thinking that in one of his post-win interviews.) Hanging the meaning of your entire life on just one specific moment which, objectively, has better odds of not happening than happening... Man, I thought it was downright unhealthy. I remember how Patrick looked when he got his silver, and I was so afraid Yuzu might end up looking like that too. Only for him it would have been worse. 

So, I'm ashamed to say, I was relieved when Javi messed up, and when Shoma fell. When Yuzu won, I wasn't as much happy, as just enormously, unbelieveably relieved for Yuzu, because the alternative would have been devastating. 

In his post-win interviews he basically said he hyped himself up and clutched to the thought of "I must win this". In his situation, the prospect of skating with injury, any other person would have gone through some redefinition of their values, allowed themselves a thought "well, I might not win, and if I don't, it won't diminish me". It looks like Yuzu didn't go through this. I find this sort of mindset abolutely terryfing. He pulled off this win on the force of conviction, on faith, more than anything else.

I guess this intentsity, that single-mindednes, insane focus on his ultimate goal and just not being satisfied with less is what enabled him to pull off this miracle and truly become historical. I don't quite understand it and I find it scary but I suppose that's what legends are made of.

Okay, I think I really need some sleep.

I agree with you, that kind of of mindset is absolutely terrifying and I'm sure any psycologist would also say it's unhealthy.

But I suppose champions aren't ordinary person, and the greatest champions have what would be for most an "unhealthy" mindset. You can't say to them "the important thing is to participate" because for them that it's not enough, it won't ever be enough. They want things. And they won't stop till they get them. They just can't be ordinary, because they can be champions only doing the extraordinary. So it's no wonder, really, that Yuzuru, who is one of the greatest champions, has this kind of mentality. I can't understand it, I admire it but I also think "oh, that's not good" and it scares me, but it makes him who he is, and as long as he can live with himself and his choices, it's OK. He got this gold because he believed not only that he could have it, but that he would. And probably such a faith was only possible because in his mind there was no way out, no safety net, no alternative, nothing else than just make it (which I find awe-inspiring because I love my escape routes too much, which tbh can be as unhealthy as not allowing yourself any)

(I had written a longer celebratory rambling about yuzuru's mentality but it's late now and I should go to sleep, maybe another time:ugly004:)

As for Yuna... the impression I have from what I've read form her, is that she didn't enjoy competing anymore after achieving what she did in Vancouver. Yuzuru is satisfied with what he achieved, that's true, but he is still the "guy who loves to win". It's just to be seen what exactly he wants to win, because we know that what Yuzuru wants, Yuzuru gets.

tbh, I've said this already, he is too much of a Ulysses in spirit to feel truly satified for long with something that doesn't "challenge" him. Till now competitive skating and this olympic gold have been the challenge, and as Plushenko said, Yuzuru is like him, he loves to win. Maybe he will only just settle for smaller "wins", like doing beautiful programs even if they won't be WR, or jumping 4A (LOL, now I call 4A a "small" win :P), tho I found hard to imagine a Yuzu who is content with just doing his best and not fight for podium (and the highest spot on it)

I think the only thing that can truly keep him him from going back to competing for another season at least, more than the lack of motivation, it's the condition of his body. Only when he will be sure his body won't be able to keep up with what he wants, he will switch to some new challenge. I just hope he won't wait to be like Plushy when he had to WD from Sochi:13877886:learn form your idol, boy:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid::smiley-angelic001:

20 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I hope this means his ankle isn't as messed as we think:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: (only slightly messed...enough to still hurt despite painkillers:13877886::13877886::13877886:)

Still, NO JUMPS, you lying liar stubborn boy:tumblr_m9ranru0Dx1qdlkyg: not even a delayed 1A. Just...do  scruntchy smile and everyone will give you a standing ovation:tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

Also....does this mean we'll get Misha-Boyang-Zuzu side by side spirals?:snonegai:

Anyway, to end this slightly angsty post on a high note, let's remember that Yuzuru is HAPPY:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

(Or like zuzu says: "HAPY!!!!"):tumblr_inline_mzx8zzarLt1r8msi5:

ETA: when did I become Romeo&Juliet:tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid: I'll miss my Notte stellata rank:tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid:

2 hours ago, Hanmgse said:

I also hope he doesn't jump. For me just seeing him glide with a smile is enough.

Ditto. Swan is probably the best EX if he has to remove jumps, too, for how utterly gorgeous it is. Honestly, the missing biellmann is a bigger hole than 1A for me. I didn't realise at the time because I was so anxious but SEIMEI felt so different and it wasn't the mistakes, it was replacing biellmann with A-spin. I'm more grateful than ever for his biellmann. It's transcendently beautiful. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Just now, SparkleSalad said:

Ditto. Swan is probably the best EX if he has to remove jumps, too, for how utterly gorgeous it is. Honestly, the missing biellmann is a bigger hole than 1A for me. I didn't realise at the time because I was so anxious but SEIMEI felt so different and it wasn't the mistakes, it was replacing biellmann with A-spin. I'm more grateful than ever for his biellmann. It's transcendantly beautiful. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I was panicking when he didn't do the beillmann in Seimei, I associated the no beillmann in his programs means something is wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Bonesfan said:

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/figure-skating-olympic-ice-mens-short-program-recap

This was an interview where he was only asked about Yuzu. There may be others, I will keep looking

Minute 18, 

I hope someone saves and shares the clip. I saw a timer that was ticking down my access to it, saw it was a 40+ min video, and immediately exited the site. (I only had 2 min left.) :13877886: