General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, Xen said:

I think for a lot of the guys I know, who like him, it's technicals technicals technicals. They are in love with his jumps and his atheleticism (quite a number of them know nothing of his injuries, they don't follow men's that much).  There's a small split between him, PChiddy and Javi when it comes to skating skills. In so far as musicality goes, also split three-ways between Yuzu, PChiddy and Javi. But overall, they would probably admit to Yuzu winning out since on balance, he is the most stable, with a good balance between the hard technicalities and the artistry

For me, it's the total package.  His jumps are amazing, of course, but the quality of his jumps, as far as I've been able to do so by comparing him to others, is even more amazing, due to his complex entries and transitions.  What I find most interesting with him, though, and we have to thank his choreographers for this also, is his ability to merge movement with music.  He isn't skating on the ice, he's dancing on it, he's turning it into a statement and not just a sequence of moves.  A large part of that is the sheer complexity and density of his programs.  There's hardly a second in them that is not choreographed.  In so many of the skaters the amount of choreographic detail is perfunctory, enough to get them by.  For Yuzu, not only are the steps planned, but also the placement of the arms, the attitude of the torso, the position of the head.  That is the degree of detail you see in the best of ballet, but here it's skating. If Yuzu had been trained in ballet, he'd be a headliner today, a premier danseur.  So I do admire his aerial acrobatics but for me it's the total package and right now the only one who seems to approach Yuzu is Shoma.  I think having Yuzu for a countryman is a major reason Shoma's skating has developed in the way it has, since the two are both skating in the same fan market.  Of course, there is a threat on the horizon for both, but one that will not appear until Yuzu has retired (unless he goes for Beijing).  That's that 12 year old and I think the major reason that that boy has gotten so far at such a young age is that he's had the constant presence of Yuzu and Javi as both an inspiration and a goad to succeed.  Back to Yuzu, though - his spot in skating history is guaranteed by the fact that he's more than just a  jumping machine, he's so very much much more.

8 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Maybe if you talk about your interest in the sport itself and about other skaters as well, she won't feel annoyed? Especially if you can get her interested in the juniors, there are such interesting performances among the young ones. Then it won't seem like gushing about Yuzu specifically, so much. 

8 hours ago, Xen said:

You could show her pairs or ice dancers. Especially the pairs females- they are such tough cookies, with some coming back from injury so soon to compete. Maybe if you add in some of the more "human" side of things she'll understand why you admire certain skaters. Start with non-Yuzu and then gradually build up the Yuzu stuff...it might be easier for her to like him, after she finds herself liking another skater?

Yeah those are definitely good points, maybe it'll help if I branch out a bit in our conversations!  

7 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

My husband came to terms with my crazy FS/Yuzu passion for some time now! He looks at my laptop sometimes and he's like: oh, you watch figure skating again! lol, he finds it kinda boring! But I find his football games kinda boring too so we are equals ... :laughing: He sees Yuzu more like a girl, saying he's too cute for a boy, and then I tell him: you know what? girls don't jump quads like Yuzu does so, no, he's not a girl, but he laugh at me saying maybe, but he looks like one ... so I try to show him SEIMEI, but he's still not sold out ... :laughing:

LOL well Yuzu can definitely be cute but he also gets crazy intense :hachimaki: maybe after the olympics your husband will be sold :laughing:

7 hours ago, Lunna said:

My friend was used to me venting about Yuzu from time to time but she is a fan of another sport herself so she listens patiently :laughing: but lately she is busy with family so I try not to bug her much thanks to the Planet and friends I made at comps :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: so be patient with her cuz if she wasn't a fan herself once it's really hard to relate to and come here if you feel like talking about Yuzu :smile:

That's really true Lunna, I think it's probably tough for her to relate especially with like not following all the ups and downs of this season. I think I'll be posting here more often and talking to you guys about Yuzu instead of just constantly lurking :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I was drawn to him originally because of the sheer mastery of movement he has.  As a lifelong fan of ballet I found his abilities quite the equal of Nureyev and Baryshnikov and (more recently) Roberto Bolle.  One thing, though, that impresses me more than his skating abilities is how he's managed to be backed by a number of choreographers who have put together programs that have him continually skating on the edge of what he can do,a factor that accounts for his sometimes lapses when he's going after the points.  That's the greatest thing about him.  He doesn't skate 'safe'. 

That is so true, he has such control on the ice and I love how he always keeps pushing his limits! Although I pray that he stays safe from now on T^T Thanks for sharing your story :] 

58 minutes ago, Altie said:

I have absolutely no hope to convert my husband to figure skating :)

He finds my passion for Yuzu odd, and is bored every time I try to share my enthusiasm :rofl:but was the first one to tell me I really should go to Milan to watch him live, since he wouldn't come closer to our home anytime soon.

My son likes to watch figure skating with me though. But I fear it is because it is a way to watch TV without me telling him he has better other things to do ^^

Ahaha that's kind of like my situation, but it's awesome how supportive your husband was of you going to Milan! Did you end up getting tickets? And I'm sure that since your son likes watching figure skating with you he has at least some interest in it :laughing:

19 minutes ago, Dori6886 said:

Mezamashi paper version!

I bet there is nothing about Yuzu inside :rofl:

Speaking of which, i was killing time after work at a bookstore yesterday and they had the Guinness World Record book :P I literally blushed when i read his name what is wrong with me :rofl: (I was disappointed tho, they only mentioned him as the first man to land a quad loop, AND NO PPoS PIC! Blasphemy)

49 minutes ago, omurice said:

Ahaha that's kind of like my situation, but it's awesome how supportive your husband was of you going to Milan! Did you end up getting tickets? And I'm sure that since your son likes watching figure skating with you he has at least some interest in it :laughing:

Yes I'm going to Milan ! With my daughter ! And she likes to sound blasé about figure skating but she totally said that the one she really wanted to see was Yuzu :)

11 hours ago, Gingers said:

I also share about yuzuru to my gf. She is very excited everytime I watch or talk about him...for a reason. She said its hillarious to see me fanboying :dry::dry:

Nice to see another guy coming out into the open! You are the 3rd guy to identify himself as a male after Max Swagg and me. Congratulations! You are a member of a very exclusive club. Are you the 3rd male in the Demographics thread? I'm too old to be a "fanboy". "Fanman" is more appropriate. :laughing: