Team Korea

44 minutes ago, Anni said:

News from Jun. He will leave TCC and not longer work with B. Orser.😐

OP writes also, that Jun has to stay on Korea because of the university (more in this thread)

I hate to see this.  I know that University has some sort of residency requirements (like they can't be out of the country for such and such amount of time) but there is not a coach in Korea who can help him move up internationally.  I'm not saying it has to be Brian - someone like Stephane could work and is somewhat closer.  I just want him to have some good coaching.

On 6/28/2023 at 1:14 PM, Anni said:

News from Jun. He will leave TCC and not longer work with B. Orser.😐

OP writes also, that Jun has to stay on Korea because of the university (more in this thread)

I feel sad to hear it, he is finally in a good position as we saw last season. But was he even training at TCC last season or did he get remote training in korea? I just hope that he will get the coaching he needs, so he can shine this season as well.

5 minutes ago, Faithyu said:

I feel sad to hear it, he is finally in a good position as we saw last season. But was he even training at TCC last season or did he get remote training in korea? I just hope that he will get the coaching he needs, so he can shine this season as well.

He was remote training - but had in person training before competitions with Brian.  I don't think he was ever in Toronto at all - except maybe just prior to Skate America.  It wouldn't have interfered with his university schedule.  I don't know why he's left TCC and Brian.  I'd like to know if this was Jun's choice or one made by the Korean Federation.

5 hours ago, ImmortalBeloved said:

I heard it may have had something to do with a residency requirement for university.

That is likely but doesn't explain why he doesn't keep Brian as a coach.  He still could train remotely and still could be at TCC for a couple of weeks here and there and also have Brian meet up with him prior to competitions.  He is obviously allowed some leeway to attend competitions.  And he has some summer time off.  And about six weeks starting mid-December so he could theoretically spend up to six weeks (or 4 weeks if he wants to be home at Christmas) before the big competitions in late winter -

Who knows?  I don't see what other coach he may have picked up.

Maybe being here , there and everywhere is just too much for him now. Jun has shown he can do well training in Korea, so hopefully it all works out. And maybe, now with his success, there are more opportunities opening up for him that also demand more time from him. We shall see. 

Feel sad for Brian, you can tell he was sad to hear the news ( you get attached to long time students who grew up with you), but that's coaching. They come and go. 

On 7/4/2023 at 4:35 AM, liv said:

Maybe being here , there and everywhere is just too much for him now. Jun has shown he can do well training in Korea, so hopefully it all works out. And maybe, now with his success, there are more opportunities opening up for him that also demand more time from him. We shall see. 

Feel sad for Brian, you can tell he was sad to hear the news ( you get attached to long time students who grew up with you), but that's coaching. They come and go. 

I'm not him or in his team but I do think having to choose between Korea and Canada is not an easy choice, especially when there are other obligations aside from skating that necessitates stationing at his home country. 

Whatever the reasons are, I do think he has thought this through. All the best for him. 

On a side note, aside from Jason Brown, Rika Kihira and Boyang Jin, does Brian have any other notable international students under his wing at the moment? 

On 7/4/2023 at 5:35 AM, liv said:

Yuzu managed to train on his own during pandemic. TCC offers good foundations for students to flourish on their own. In my opinion, Yuzu is the best and the most exceptional among them💯🥰

That kid Minsol Kwon (who has a lovely Cats FS program last year) has some of the worst toe hammer on a (F)Lutz I have ever seen. In the video below, pause at 5.51 and you will see what I mean. Her picking leg comes almost to her shoulder height before it strikes. I'm annoyed already if the picking leg is higher than the knee level or even coming close to the buttock or hip level and yet. My lord.

She is still a kid. There is still time to fix that so I hope her coaches can help her (also get her that much needed outside edge).

Interestingly, her Flip is both more correct edge-wise and has the toe picking much lower. 

• 2 months later...

Does anyone on this forum know how I could go about getting a ticket for the Korean National Championship in Jan 2024?  I'd only be able to go to the last day, though possibly Sat. night, if they have any competitions then.  I'll be on Jeju until the 6th and could fly into Seoul mid-afternoon.

Also - do they let spectators in for practices, as they do for ISU competitions?  I believe the rink is relatively small and seating is probably limited.  I don't even know the name of the rink...

Thanks