Magazines and Photobooks - Recommendations and Reviews

On 2018. 03. 05. at 4:41 AM, SparkleSalad said:

So sure am I of Yuzu's withdrawal from WC that I decided to let myself give in to my weakness and brace for the heartache by getting a few magazines. All magazines are 99% Yuzu. (Poor Shoma.)

I wouldn't recommend the special Pyeongchang AERA - it's mostly old photos, a recap of his whole career from tiny times (and has a huge CoC photo and NHK injury for anyone wanting to avoid that sort of thing.) It does have that blue flower double page where he's leaning against the mirror inside the back cover, though, for those who were so smitten with that shoot.  

Figure Skate Magazine has two double-sided posters and a lot of nice, clear, full-page photos. Clean layout with pages divided into maximum of 4 photos for the most part. Some very nice practice photos and, most importantly, THIS PHOTO: :peek:

Memorial is about the same. Has a stunning sideways shot of the Chopin ina bauer and a sequence of joyous SEIMEI choreo sequence and other lovely but small SEIMEI photos. Not sure if I'll keep both, really. One or the other would be good if you have to choose between the two. They share a few of the same photos, anyway. 

ETA Of the four photos chosen for the posters in FS Magazine, only one is of him skating and it's the SEIMEI hydroblade, only they oriented it vertically so it cuts off his outstretched leg and arm. And yet the ultra close up of his face on the opposite side is horizontal. :crazyshit2: Y u do dis?

Thank you for the reviews! :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw: It's always good to read about opinions of magazines. 

On 5/3/2018 at 4:41, SparkleSalad said:

So sure am I of Yuzu's withdrawal from WC that I decided to let myself give in to my weakness and brace for the heartache by getting a few magazines. All magazines are 99% Yuzu. (Poor Shoma.)

I wouldn't recommend the special Pyeongchang AERA - it's mostly old photos, a recap of his whole career from tiny times (and has a huge CoC photo and NHK injury for anyone wanting to avoid that sort of thing.) It does have that blue flower double page where he's leaning against the mirror inside the back cover, though, for those who were so smitten with that shoot.  

Figure Skate Magazine has two double-sided posters and a lot of nice, clear, full-page photos. Clean layout with pages divided into maximum of 4 photos for the most part. Some very nice practice photos and, most importantly, THIS PHOTO: :peek:

Memorial is about the same. Has a stunning sideways shot of the Chopin ina bauer and a sequence of joyous SEIMEI choreo sequence and other lovely but small SEIMEI photos. Not sure if I'll keep both, really. One or the other would be good if you have to choose between the two. They share a few of the same photos, anyway. 

ETA Of the four photos chosen for the posters in FS Magazine, only one is of him skating and it's the SEIMEI hydroblade, only they oriented it vertically so it cuts off his outstretched leg and arm. And yet the ultra close up of his face on the opposite side is horizontal. :crazyshit2: Y u do dis?

I have posted a small review of Figure Skate Magazine on Twitter:

I have received Ice Jewels and Sportiva today, I will post a review asap. 

I'm super torn between 'Yume wo ikiru' and 'Ice Jewels' right now guys what should I dooooo???? The more burning question is Why can't I have Both!!! :tumblr_inline_mzx922J8H21r8msi5:Looks into my wallet :tumblr_inline_mp4i2vHXDy1qz4rgp: 

Ice Jewels have gorgeous photos but then Yume wo ikiru came out and I've heard so many good reviews. And Yuzu said some very memorable stuff there according to Gladi's translation so it's so hard to make up my mind. Anyone's got both already?

2 hours ago, VyVy99 said:

I'm super torn between 'Yume wo ikiru' and 'Ice Jewels' right now guys what should I dooooo???? The more burning question is Why can't I have Both!!! :tumblr_inline_mzx922J8H21r8msi5:Looks into my wallet :tumblr_inline_mp4i2vHXDy1qz4rgp: 

Ice Jewels have gorgeous pictures but then Yume wo ikiru came out and I've heard so many good reviews. And Yuzu said some very memorable stuff their according to Gladi's translation so it's so hard to make up my mind. Anyone's got both already?

You can see "Ice Jewels" here, and someone posted vid from unpacking  of all 3 Yuzu's books, including "Yume wo ikiru", on  the facebook group (Yuzuru Hanyu International Fan Group), so you can see what you prefer :biggrin:

If you really buy only one then you will have my utmost respect, I pre-ordered 3 magazines after Olympic, and I bought Aera and "Yuzuru Photobook" a little bit earlier  :facepalm:  What is money anyway :headdesk2:

13 hours ago, Dori6886 said:

You can see "Ice Jewels" here, and someone posted vid from unpacking  of all 3 Yuzu's books, including "Yume wo ikiru", on  the facebook group (Yuzuru Hanyu International Fan Group), so you can see what you prefer :biggrin:

If you really buy only one then you will have my utmost respect, I pre-ordered 3 magazines after Olympic, and I bought Aera and "Yuzuru Photobook" a little bit earlier  :facepalm:  What is money anyway :headdesk2:

I think I won't be able to buy just one after all.. I'm going out of my ways to have both of them in my hands :muahaha:

I also have Figure Skate Magazine which I think is very good - about 80% of the magazine is about Yuzuru, the rest is Shoma, some pictures of Javi, Boyang, Patrick, Chen, Zhou, ID/pairs + a few pictures of the arena+Gangneung. The quality of Yuzuru's pictures are very good, there are pictures of his arrival to Korea, practices, SP, SP draw, FS, medal ceremony, with his gold medal. No pictures from the gala, though. The posters are great, too, but I don't understand either why they put the hydroblade poster vertically, and the other picture of his face horizontally. 

I have Sports Graphic Numer 947. The cover is beautiful, the golden letters with the purple background look so nice. The quality of pictures are very good in this magazine, too. Figure skating is about 30% of the magazine, about 14 pages of Yuzu + there is a very nice illustration of Yuzu by Hisashi Eguchi.

Figure Skaters magazine is fantastic and I'd recommend it highly! :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw: The magazine is huge (almost double the size of other magazines) and there almost the whole magazine is about Yuzuru. :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:  There are pictures about Sochi, too which I really like (a full size picture of PW, RJ2 and Yuzu with his gold medal). Some other pictures from the Olympics:

QsQ4ddT.jpg FMz7ESU.jpg   Q9xXQrA.jpg KB6mqjc.jpg

I also have this magazine, 80-85% of it is about Yuzuru, pictures from practices, SP, FS, medal and venue ceremonies + two pages from Sochi. The magazine also has some pictures of Shoma, Keiji, Javi, Patrick, Nathan and Boyang. 

1 hour ago, sallycinnamon said:

I also have Figure Skate Magazine which I think is very good - about 80% of the magazine is about Yuzuru, the rest is Shoma, some pictures of Javi, Boyang, Patrick, Chen, Zhou, ID/pairs + a few pictures of the arena+Gangneung. The quality of Yuzuru's pictures are very good, there are pictures of his arrival to Korea, practices, SP, SP draw, FS, medal ceremony, with his gold medal. No pictures from the gala, though. The posters are great, too, but I don't understand either why they put the hydroblade poster vertically, and the other picture of his face horizontally. 

I have Sports Graphic Numer 947. The cover is beautiful, the golden letters with the purple background look so nice. The quality of pictures are very good in this magazine, too. Figure skating is about 30% of the magazine, about 14 pages of Yuzu + there is a very nice illustration of Yuzu by Hisashi Eguchi.

Figure Skaters magazine is fantastic and I'd recommend it highly! :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw: The magazine is huge (almost double the size of other magazines) and there almost the whole magazine is about Yuzuru. :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:  There are pictures about Sochi, too which I really like (a full size picture of PW, RJ2 and Yuzu with his gold medal). Some other pictures from the Olympics:

I also have this magazine, 80-85% of it is about Yuzuru, pictures from practices, SP, FS, medal and venue ceremonies + two pages from Sochi. The magazine also has some pictures of Shoma, Keiji, Javi, Patrick, Nathan and Boyang. 

I can confirm Figure Skaters vol 9 is great!

I also bought Ice Jewels YH PC 2018 photobook and Sportiva. Ice Jewels is even a little bit bigger that Figure Skaters (like 1 cm probably)! 100% Yuzu content (well, you can tell already by the name of it :biggrin:), almost half of it is Yuzu in UA, so it's a great choice for UA lovers :acceptable: but has no gala pics.  All pictures are beautiful.

Sportiva looks really small in comparison :embSwan:  has gala pictures! Great pics, about half of the magazine is Yuzu content, rest is about other JPN skaters and other sports (mostly speed skaters). 

Summarizing, I can sincerely recommend all 3 magazines :2thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Dori6886 said:

I also bought Ice Jewels YH PC 2018 photobook and Sportiva. Ice Jewels is even a little bit bigger that Figure Skaters (like 1 cm probably)! 100% Yuzu content (well, you can tell already by the name of it :biggrin:), almost half of it is Yuzu in UA, so it's a great choice for UA lovers :acceptable: but has no gala pics.  All pictures are beautiful.

Sportiva looks really small in comparison :embSwan:  has gala pictures! Great pics, about half of the magazine is Yuzu content, rest is about other JPN skaters and other sports (mostly speed skaters). 

I ordered Ice Jewels too which will arrive a bit later! I can't wait for it :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:I saw from pictures that it is as big as Figure skaters Magazine :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

9 hours ago, Dori6886 said:

:peekapooh:That's me. It's me, I want it.

11 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Omg so this one has the Royal Stepout picture.. :english2: Guyss you're not halpinggggg :headdesk2:

12 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

IT LOOKS SO NICE :embSwan:  I'm so tempted to buy but asjkfjd;sa j (i'm guessing there is likely no chance of me finding these when i go to japan in july? //wants to hope and dream)

On 8/3/2018 at 16:48, cloverpu said:

It's from TOI'14 but I cut it from a fanvid. The only TOI vid that I found have words on screen during this scene

Ice Jewels Photobook is really good. 60 pages and 100% Yuzu. It is huge like Figure Skaters magazine, all photos are big and printed on matte thick paper. There are practices, SP and FS, no gala. 

Sportiva slightly disappointed me because most of the photos are too small and it's a pity because there some really good ones. There are Gala photos (about 2 pages) but I have seen better photos taken by fans on Twitter tbh. There 40 pages with Yuzu, about 15 pages with other skaters and the rest is other sports.

I am still undecided about buying Figure Skaters and Memorial (now sold out :( )

Does anybody own this one? Reviews are good, seems to have 47 pages of Yuzu and some really good photos. 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4594612725/ref=pd_luc_rh_sim_03_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

518CjWAP4XL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, erised65 said:

Guysss, help me!!!

Choose three out of this list:

Aoi Hono I

Aoi Hono II

Yume wo Ikiru

Yuzuru Hanyu Goroku

YUZURU photobook

Ice Jewels Season Photos 2016-2017

Ice Jewels Pyeongchang 2018 Special

All of them:peek:

22 minutes ago, erised65 said:

Nooo, I can't, my parents will kill me 😂😂😂

Seriously tho, if you had to choose, which three would be the best?

I have Aoi Honoo II and Ice Jewels Season 2016-2017 so i can tell you that those are really really nice <3