Team we're fewer but still good!

Guest turquoiseblue

Lewis Gibson talks for the first time about being gay and married, on eve of the Olympics

Gibson joined Outsports’ Five Rings To Rule Them All podcast this week to talk about being a gay athlete and representing his country. He said now “the timing is just right” for his first media interview about representing Team LGBTQ.

“I’ve seen so many people who have gone before me and just living their truth and being so authentic when they perform int heir sport an really just wanting that for myself as well,” said Gibson, specifically citing French medal favorite Guillaume Cizeron as an inspiration, as well as Adam Rippon and Robin Cousins.

Gibson said he feels his public “coming out” was two years ago when he decided to post a Valentine’s Day photo with his then-boyfriend, now-husband, Joshua Walsh.

In turn, Walsh — himself an avid dodgeball player — has also posted a couple pics with Gibson.

Being a part of an opposite-sex ice dancing pair entered into Gibson’s mind when he thought about coming out publicly. As a judged sport, he couldn’t be sure how being gay would be perceived by judges.

“I just think, could this be a detriment to my skating? And I thought, I can’t live never sharing who I am and sharing who I love. And I’m really glad, as time has progressed, I’m doing things like this and embracing this side of me more.”

Regardless of his sexual orientation, he insists that he and his ice dancing partner have a special connection on the ice. When they select their music, they make sure it’s something that resonates with them and their goal of entertaining the audience.

“I think that what Lila and i have that’s so special is our bond and our true love for each other as friends,” Gibson said. “It’s not this stereotypical romantic woman-and-man scenario that’s special about a performance. It’s really a connection you see on the ice. Couples like Gabbi and Guillaume, they transcend every time they perform because they have an amazing bond, an amazing chemistry.”

:congratualtions:

On 1/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, Paskud said:

Ouch, it sounds horrible, she had a really rough last season.

I'm glad she is doing better this season and hope she will have a good Olympic Games. Good luck to her!

Guest turquoiseblue

Ekaterina Kurakova: “Olympics are once in 4 years, in women’s skating you don’t know what will happen to you after such a period. So the next three days after qualifying for the Games, I got up in panic that everything was a dream and hadn’t earned my lucky ticket yet .”

What were your emotions when you realized that you qualified for the Olympic Games?

Ekaterina Kurakova: First, the feeling of freedom. Every day after the Worlds I got up with the thought that I had the last chance – the only one, there would be no plan B. And this is not a World Championships, which you can wait a year. The Olympics are once every 4 years, and you don’t know what will happen to you after such a period. This is especially true for women’s single skating. Every athlete dreams of going to the Olympic Games. I knew that even one workout is a step towards a big goal. It was very difficult mentally to withstand the pressure: I began to have difficulties with sleeping, I had all sorts of nightmares. Therefore, when I realized that I had won the Olympic spot, I freed myself from oppressive thoughts. A few days later the realization of happiness came.

Has sleeping returned to normal then?

Ekaterina Kurakova: You know, not right away. The next three days after the Nebelhorn Trophy, I got up in a panic that everything was a dream, and in fact I had not yet earned my lucky ticket. The medal is in my closet, and when doubts arose in the middle of the night, I came up to check: the medal is real, which means everything is true. It didn’t fit in my head that I mentally ate myself up for half a year, it was so hard, but in fact everything depended on 4 minutes of a free program. You put half a year of your life on the scales and these 4 minutes… didn’t fit in my head. And later, realizing that the dream had come true (“Yes, I did it!”), I felt very happy.

You have a great geographical experience in training: Russia, Poland, Canada, now Italy. Compare the training system in these countries.

Ekaterina Kurakova: If we are talking about Russia and Italy, then my training plans are similar in many ways. Even more comfortable, because in Russia there were two long ice trainings, and in Italy we ahve three short ones. In the morning training, we work on new elements, combinations, jumps from different entries. The second and third trainings are devoted to working on the programs. All this is very useful for transitions, and as a result, you spend a lot of time on the ice – but with interruptions. Comparing Russia with Canada, there is a difference in the attention of the coach. The Russian coach works with the whole group, and in Canada I remember the so-called lessons, which last 15-30 minutes. You work with a coach face-to-face and so you should manage to do something in this certain time.

You have been training in the group of Brian Orser for a year and a half. Can you single out his main coaching talent?

Ekaterina Kurakova: He is very close to each athlete, he feels his athletes. Here’s what amazed me, for example. I’ll skate the program or work out several combinations, and I think: “Maybe I should try the lutz-loop combination, which I haven’t polished yet?” I go to Brian, and he says: “Let’s try the lutz-loop!” Or, let’s say I wanted to repeat a piece of the program again, and Brian suggests repeating this particular piece. There were a lot of such moments – when I thought, and Brian voiced it. It’s amazing how a person can read minds! We had an incredible contact, and that is why the parting was hard.

A world championships with the participation of Yuzuru Hanyu and Javier Fernandez was in front of your eyes. What are the most vivid memories associated with them?

Ekaterina Kurakova: I’ll start with my first days at the Cricket club, when I first came to Toronto in October 2018. All the strong athletes and coaches left for the Autumn Classic and a few days later they returned. The whole company of geniuses gathered at the rink, and for a long time I couldn’t believe what was happening. I just looked and thought, “God! It’s impossible! Is this really happening to me?” Yuzuru Hanyu, Evgenia Medvedeva, Javier Fernandez… I watched what they were doing on the ice and understood that I had to work a lot to even get closer to this art. And I saw that everything is thanks to work. Yuzuru could lie from exhaustion after skating his entire free programs three times. That’s why he is a champion, he never spares himself. Whether it’s hard, tired, it doesn’t matter. He just goes on the ice and work in any condition, giving a million percent in every training.

Do you keep in touch with Brian Orser and his group now?

Ekaterina Kurakova: I test with all the former coaches and the guys from the Cricket Club. What was especially pleasant: Brian himself congratulated me when I qualified for the Olympic Games. It was one of the most important things for me at that moment. This means that he understands that I left because of external circumstances, and he is happy to communicate. But you have no idea how much I look forward to meet Brian! So far, we have said goodbye only by phone, but I still want to say a lot in person, to thank him. I do not like all these discussions of cardinal changes on the Internet and messengers. I want Brian to look into my eyes and understand how grateful I am for everything he has done for me. Hope we meet soon in Beijing.

How are you doing with higher education?

Ekaterina Kurakova: I am studying for a coach in my second year at a Polish university. I take classes mainly remotely, I pass all the exams. I am very grateful to the teachers for the fact that this season they are sympathetic to my schedule. Still, I’m preparing for the Olympic Games.

The Polish language has a lot in common with Russian. Perhaps, have you learned it quickly?

Ekaterina Kurakova: Definitely it was easier to learn than English. I think it helped more that I lived in this country, immediately plunged into the company of native speakers. My classes at the university are also in Polish, and now I speak it fluently.

Guest turquoiseblue

Lewis Gibson: How Dancing On Ice inspired Scottish skating star to reach the Winter Olympic Games

“I started skating after watching the first season of Dancing on Ice, with the amazing Torvill and Dean,” said Gibson, whose journey to the Games has been fuelled by a significant £40,000 injection of funding to figure skating from UK Sport.

“I just thought it looked like fun. I always played football beforehand, so it was a very different sport to try.

“I went along to my local rink and I enjoyed it so much. Honestly, I just never stopped, never questioned stopping either.

“To be here now and going to the Olympics that Torvill and Dean were so famous for competing in is insane.

“Of course growing up, you get called names. There’s plenty of names but for me what was really great was when competitions and things would go well, you’d be in the school newspaper.

“I was seen to be doing something competitive and doing it well, so that helped me.” Beijing will not be Gibson’s first taste of the Winter Olympics, after he and Fear travelled to PyeongChang in 2018 as part of Team GB’s Ambition Programme.

“To go there and be able to experience the Olympics with no stress of competition was really one of the greatest opportunities we could have asked for,” added Gibson, whose sport is one of seven to benefit from UK Sport’s Beijing Support Fund in order to lift their preparations for, and performances at, the Olympic Winter Games in Beijing.

“There’s a lot of different parts floating around as to how it will look and we don’t know, but luckily for us we’ve competed in a few bubble competitions so we’ve had that experience already and I’m grateful for those.

“It’s not always easy but at least we’ve had some form of training of that at least.

“We both love competing and performing in front of people. Whether there will be a crowd or not we don’t know but that’s something that really fires us up and we enjoy it.

“Just getting to the Olympics for us is such a huge achievement and we go into every competition just wanting to grow and always better all of our performances that we do, master what we do each season as well and then just see where that has us.”

Guest turquoiseblue

The Washington Post article on Donovan Carrillo :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

For Mexico’s first Olympic figure skater in 30 years, the dream is real

Late Friday night, Donovan Carrillo, Mexico’s first Olympic figure skater in 30 years, walked into the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremonies beside a skier named Sarah Schleper. Together they carried their country’s flag.

It was, he would later say, “a dream come true.”

“I hope it will inspire more people from my country to try figure skating,” Carrillo said, following a practice the day after the Opening Ceremonies. “It’s possible to find a boy who will fall in love with the sport like I did.”

He looked around. He was standing in a corridor beneath Capital Indoor Stadium, which is the skating venue for these Olympics. Down the hall, a group of reporters waited for some of Japan’s star skaters. A few minutes before, Carrillo had been practicing on the arena’s ice. The ice was so smooth, he called it “stunning.”

“At the Olympics everything is just perfect, the ice quality, everything is just at the highest level,” he said, his eyes smiling over a black mask. “I’m just trying to enjoy the best moment of my career as a skater.”

On Friday night, he walked into the Bird’s Nest, holding Mexico’s flag along with Schleper. He looked up into lights, amazed and thrilled at the same time. Then he gazed at the flag shimmying above him and he almost cried.

“Everyone respects their flags from every country, but I think as a Mexican we grow [up] with this love for our flag,” Carrillo said. “So to have the opportunity to carry it at the highest sports level, it’s something that is truly an honor for me.”

He looked behind him, toward the perfect ice in the newly renovated arena, far from the mall in León with the little kids and the beginners stumbling into him while he tried to practice. It all seemed so unreal.

He was asked if he felt it somehow unfair that many of the competitors here train in spectacular rinks themselves, while he practices at a mall rink without his own skating time. He shook his head.

“It’s the way it is,” he said. “I try to focus on my career and my skating as an athlete than the circumstances that I have. If I was just focusing on the circumstances then it would be hard. And so, use what you have and just work with that.”

Congratulations and good luck! :tumblr_m230p1f9hj1qfamg6::tumblr_m230ouoWHD1qfamg6::tumblr_m230o5o5Gg1qfamg6: :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw: :tumblr_m230p1f9hj1qfamg6::tumblr_m230ouoWHD1qfamg6::tumblr_m230o5o5Gg1qfamg6:

Guest turquoiseblue

Interview with Donovan :img_21:

CGTN Sports Scene: Mexican figure skater Carrillo shares feelings after competing at Beijing 2022