Miscellaneous Translations Compilation Thread

yuzuangel

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

Ice Time Podcast No. 13: Daisuke Murakami

J: Jack Gallagher

D: Daisuke Murakami

Starts at 20:33

J: So it was the win at NHK Trophy(2014) was more of a catalyst to take you to the next level. Is that accurate?

D: Yes. I mean I must say, It was the cherry on top to beat Yuzu there. I don't think there's a lot of Japanese skaters who has beat Yuzu so I think I'm one of them that has beat him. I mean, I think he did have an off day that day but at the end of the day I did stand on top of that podium so I kinda was proud of myself.

J: Yeah, the fact is that was when he was both the Olympic and World Champion. Right? When you did that.....
You're gonna have that story to tell to your students in the next 40 years about the time you beat Hanyu. That's gonna be quite a story to tell.

D: It is but at the same time you know Yuzu and I are very great friends off the ice. You know this past New Year he sent me a very heartwarming "Happy New Years" or in Japanese as they say "Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu". I don't know what the definition is in English but you know we're great friends off the ice and even to this day he'll ask me you know 'how do you do such easy quad sal?' and he's always wanting to learn more and more. Even through his own rivals. So I respect him in that level where he doesn't think that he's the best but he also believes like he gets an opinion from everyone else. Which is great, I think.

J: I agree and you kind of already answered by next question which is What is it about Yuzu that makes him so great. In your opinion. Can you just talk about his physical ability and his mental ability. What's the key in your opinion?

D: As far as mentality goes I think he has one of the most strongest mentality because I don't know what kind of skater cannot / will not compete, comes off from an injury and then wins an Olympics game. To me that is pretty crazy. And you know, for me to say and complain that I had a lot of media attention, he has like a 100 times that and you know he's probably one of the most famous figure in Japan so I do not know how he juggles that but you know his skating results and continuously makes great results. For that, I think he's the best skater of all time. Ever.

J: I agree. It's been phenomenal to watch his career unfold. I was fortunate enough to be there in Sochi when he won the first Gold and also be there last year when he won the second Gold. Like you said it was absolutely incredible considering that he'd had the injury in Osaka back in November. Did you watch the Olympics on TV then, you were not there is that right?

D: I was not there but I was definitely cheering. I think there was more impact of him winning the second Olympics medal more that the first one. I don't know why but I was more emotional when I saw him win the second one.

Thank you for the transcript again, @kaeryth

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, kaerb said:

I'm really touched, this program interviewed one of Yuzu's ex classmates from 3rd year of middle school (Google translate is saying his name is Masanori Asano but sometimes it can be read differently so if any JPN speakers want to correct me, please do!). Yuzu's mentioned previously that he really loved his classmates from that class. I'm just going to cover the parts of middle school to give a rough gist of what was said.  

Footage of Yuzu in middle school around 2:20

Classmate: I hope he will go to the Olympics and win

Asano: Who are you making your goal as you keep doing your activities?

Yuzuru: Without forgetting this class (Year 3 Class 4) and how everyone cheered for and supported me, I will work hard

Asano: Ah yes, a good comment, thank you very much, thank you

(9yrs later...)

Asano had been in the same primary and middle school as Yuzu for 6 years.

Q: How did he become good friends with Yuzuru?

Asano: The first person I spoke to when I entered middle school was Yuzuru-kun. I was sitting by myself (somewhat isolated) at the end there and then he spoke to me. Fundamentally, he's a good person. He loved baseball so we played catchball in the schoolyard. He jumped too, in the classroom. He often said stuff like, 'I can't rotate so much on land but I can rotate more on the ice', like 'I'm not just this y'know!' (T/N: sort of in the spirit of 'don't underestimate me!')

Yuzu won in the 2010 Junior World Championships in March and returned to Sendai in April. 

Yuzu at the airport: Now that I've returned to my hometown of Sendai, the feeling of reality is hugely hitting me/overflowing.

But in truth he had missed his graduation ceremony to make Junior Worlds. 

Q: Hanyu-senshuu didn't attend his graduation ceremony right?

Asano: No he didn't. On a separate day, he had his own graduation ceremony... perhaps you could say a ceremony just for him. About 10-15 remaining students and classmates (his own age) were there. After the ceremony, we went back to the classroom and spoke about various things and took photos, and he wrote 'niku' (meat) on my forehead. 

Yuzu also gave him an autograph (his junior autograph with the mushroom fhskjfs) - and on the top he wrote 'I'm going to get a gold medal at the Olympics!'

Asano: If I'm not wrong, at the time, it had been decided the Olympics was going to be in Sochi? He said something about getting a gold medal at this Olympics Games with an unfamiliar name I'd never heard of...... and he really frikkin got it huh (t/n: he doesn't strictly say 'frikkin' but I wanted to convey...the amused incredulity LOL)

Q: What hopes does he have for Yuzuru?

Asano: During his schooldays, I thought he always always just did skating. I hope he will treasure the times when he's not skating and take care with injuries. Rather than saying 'gold medal, gold medal', I'd like him to take care of his body. Yeah I want to see him. Like we did back then, I want to joke around together again.

; u ; I hope they'll get the chance to meet ;;;; 

Thank you for the translation, @kaerb :tumblr_inline_np9uqjPApW1qid2nw_75sq:

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, PoohCannelle said:
  Hide contents

I: Massimiliano good evening. Yuzuru Hanyu tried to win by throwing the heart over the fence (meaning : comitting him heart and soul to and elieving you can do it). Nathan Chen responded brilliantly with flawless program. What is your thoughts on this men's competition?

M.A. : In the end the victory went to the athlete who, after two programs, made few or no mistakes. I believe the podium is legitimate. A Yuzuru Hanyu missed an important jump in the short program, the 4S, which gave him problems again in the free, which is strange I would say, because it was the jump the best completed during training. With those two errors Yuzuru could not fight on equal terms with Nathan Chen, the difference between the first two was imposed by the 4S, so you can't do anything about it. I still think that Hanyu's performance was very high/excellent. The athlete was not in the best of conditions, his legs weren't use to four minutes, he fought with pride/fierceness by 'pulling out his heart' and was able to complete almost everything in the free program. Indeed, he performed a 4Lo more than 60 centimeters high, as well as a 4T+3A SEQ, a new element in a World Championship. In this competition however, given the level of Nathan Chen, mistakes were impossible to win gold and therefore I think that the first two positions are legitimate. In my opinion, the difference between the PCS between Hanyu and Chen is higher than we've seen today : the Japanese's programs are richer than those of the american's one and his level of skating (skatings skills) is better. Although Nathan Chen has progressed on many small aspects, the difference between the two can be seen with a naked eye and cannot be just one point difference in the PCS of the free program.

For Vincent Zhou it certainly was important to complete the first two quadruples of the free program, the lutz and the salchow which, among other things, he also did in the short. However, I think that an evaluation of PCS like the one we saw today is really disproportionate because, in my opinion, a skater with those characteristics cannot have an average of 8. Today he has reached 87. The components of the program cannot grow in proportion to the number of quadruples you land, because otherwise we're eliminating the PCS and thinking only about technical elements and degree of execution. I think that the reflection on this competition must start from this. Zhou had the merit of completing almost everything he had planned and therefore we can consider the third place legitimate. But at the same time if we think that Zhou is the third skater in this competition as an absolute level then maybe we have confused ideas. I think the reflection to be made after today's competition is on how the system currently function. If Nathan Chen presents a free where he can get to 130 in TES, obviously doing all the elements to his best, I don't see why "artistic" programs of high-level cannot reach 130 points on the PCS. If we don't want to get our head together on this subject, things will never change. All this is going to to disadvantage several skaters.

I: Speaking of judging, one particular case made me smile. A judge has only differentiated the skating skills between Hanyu and Zhou by 0.25. He also assigned only +1 to the 4Lo of the Olympic Champion, fortunately he was the only one, the others gave from +3 to + 5 …

A: As far as Im' concerned, an evalution like this on the PCS deserves immediate expulsion because it's not objectively possible that there are only 0.25 difference between the 2 skaters. But not only this. It's not possible to put Zhou in front of athletes like Matteo Rizzo, Kolyada, Uno Shoma and at least 15 others. We cannot accept that the PCS grow in symbiosis with the number of quadruples landed. Also in my opinion the 4Lo executed in that way, with the type of preparation ad with the height reached, cannot receive +1. Evidently that judge witnessed something different than all the others. But be careful, we cannot one person, the problem is general and doesn't only concerned the juding in this competition, it concerns the system. There cannot be such discrepancy between TES and PCS, and a solution must be found. Someone proposes to decrese the value of the elements, personnyl I find it wrong and out of place. The PCS must be equalized to the TES. Then, will it change the ranking a little ? I'm okay with this. But surely the skaters would be pushed to try to imporve thos details that today are left in the background. In today's competition, among athletes out of the top 10, the one that surprised me the most was Kevin Aymoz. He presented an original program, full of transition and well interpreted. He made some mistakes, like so many others. It is clear that a scoring sytem like the one currently in force penalizes a skater of this type, but in the long run it's also penalizing someone like Mattea Rizzo. I maintain that it is important to evolve and that it is right to included as many quadruples as possible in a program, but then you judge judge have to evaluate how that element was put into the program : if it is preceded by a very long run, if the programme is empty, if there are no transition, if there is no interpretation, then you cannot give 8 or 9.

I: You mentioned the French Haymoz (they did a typo there!). A lot has been said about him and also about the Korean Cha Jun-Hwan this season. Do you think they can be medalists at the Beijing Olympics in 2022?

A: Let's start from the fact that the Beijing Olympics are in a long time, so many things can change from now until 2022. They are without doubt two very interesting skaters. The Cha we saw in Saitama is the bad draft of the skater admired in the first part of the season. Physically he was not at the top, he also had some minor injuries but he couldn't not compete (at his best) in such an important event. When the condition is not ideal it is difficult to take home competitive scores. Cha has everything to be a medalist at the next Olympics. Kevin Aymoz is one of the athletes who has grown the most this season along with Matteo Rizzo. Both are in possession of the complete package because they have quality from a technical point of view, they are good performers, they skate well and they are certainly athletes with future/goal. The problem for both of us is always the one highlighted above. For the moment they have the 4T, they will try to be competitive by putting two quads in the free but it is clear that to touch the Asians or the Americans' level you need something more because the current scoring system pays over those who perform elements with four rotations. Then there are those who perform them with excellence, inserting in the best way during the program as Hanyu. Others definitely not. I do not believe that this system, when it was conceived, wanted to reward one-dimensional athletes, that is, capable of performing the four rotations without having anything else in the program. We need to think about it.

Translation of Ambesi's interview (I used also @Rora1608 translation for the middle part). Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I tried my best !

I didn't translate the end, it's was on Ice Dance and the problem of maximizing everyone scores and levels, but if someone absolutely want it, I'll do it after spleeping. Although @Rora1608 twitter will probably do it ;) (or another italian speaker there ?)

5 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

Yuzu's Worlds 2019 FS: Hungarian commentary with English subtitles

Commentators: Andras Rosnik, Tamas Vasarhelyi

These two guys are really knowledgeable and praise Yuzu highly... and they speak the truth! This is what they said about Yuzu after his performance:

"...and his transitions in his skating are so clean and detailed that if in the first score, the technical score, Nathan is able to do that is the same or similar to this technical level, even that, because of the second mark, I find it highly possible that he'll be the world champion."

"This is not really human what he did."

14 hours ago, yude said:

This is my summary of Yuzuru's new interview, the last sentence can be translated differently by each translator so here is mine. Thank you for the quick updates everyone!

"GOE difference between his 4T and Nathan's 4Lz was big which came from this season the new rule was applied. But when he thinks about the risk in doing and failing in difficult things, he needs to care about the balance. It was not easy for all skaters to make the programs after GOE rule changed because it was unknown territory for all of them. This season made him consider how to do the things called transition such as steps, turns, one-foot skating in the programs of the next season. He doesn't jump on the same spot on the ice during the programs. Looking at both SP and FS, he jumps in the different places with different routes, changing the tone of the music, and adjusting the timing, etc. He does these details and that is his pride and his style, and if he doesn't care about that anymore, he will be losing his identity (of his skating). It made it clear this season that he has to make programs including his good points and to be able to deal with the evaluation by the judges at the same time."

Yuzuru Hanyu is full of sportsmanship, which makes him so great and special :bow:

Thank you for the translation again.

Video of the interview is here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, faeline said:

I suck at Japanese but Chinese is perfectly fine with me... so I'm translating from a Chinese Tweet:

Sakada Yuuki is from the same school year as Yuzu. He has autism.

Whenever Yuzu has free time, he would gather his school mates to play with Yuuki. Whenever they have skating classes, he would also teach him how to skate. They would also go on school outings/hikings together. Both of them will call each other Yuzuru and Yuuki-kun. Sakada family sent the message to [Yuzu NEWS] and Yuzu himself said "This always makes me very happy!"

Pic 1> News article of Japanese for Ants

Pic 2> Yuzu and Sakada

Pic 3> Yuzu's signature to Sakada-san.

Pic 4> From Weibo - Due to the earthquake, the Sakada family moved to Kanazawa, and they lost contact after middle school. In 2013 March, Sakada's younger brother went to an ice show and asked Yuzu if he remembers Yuuki. Yuzu replies that he will not forget in this lifetime! Sakada's younger brother then gave Yuzu Sakada's message, which wrote that he gained much courage from Yuzu's actions.

He is seriously one of the most empathic person I've ever seen. :softYuzu:

4 hours ago, Geo1 said:

In this dry season, I was randomly going through my 2 TB of Yuzuru Hanyu material when I came upon a translation of an interview published on May 10, 2012 where Yuzu talked about his sprained ankle at Worlds 2012, the earthquake in 2011 and how it changed him, and briefly on the change of coach from Nanami Abe to Brian Orser.

I know that this properly belongs in the Translations thread and that it may have already been posted, but I thought that it might be of interest to newer fans or fans who were not aware of this interesting interview before. I will leave it for the administrators to transfer this to the appropriate thread later.

The title of the Japanese article is "Journey of Giving Back Continues" and is written by Takaomi Matsubara. The translation is by a fan with the tag "yoko71". I do not have the link to the original article.

Reveal hidden contents

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, sweetwater said:

Yuzu's comment on NHK Trophy this year released during the NHK Trophy press conference. (Sorry if this has already been shared since it has been released on Sunday)

"Hello, I'm Yuzuru Hanyu. Thank you for always supporting me. At NHK Trophy, I would like to perform my best at the time. To be able to deliver the performances as I envision, I am going to work hard, working on my performance step by step. (Makomanai, Sapporo) is the place which brings back the memories of NHK Trophy (2016) in which I won, so I want to work hard to be able to rewrite these memories with even greater joy. Thank you for the continuous support!"

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Fay said:

Zakaryan was interviewed about his “innovation of the gala” - it can be found here. https://rsport.ria.ru/20191028/1560262138.html

the quote concerning Yuzu is this

Hide contents

Очень опасная ситуация, как бы странно это ни прозвучало, складывается в Японии. И мне как бизнесмену очень хочется, чтобы Юдзуру Ханю катался максимально долго. 

- Боюсь, что не совсем понимаю вашу мысль. Не станете же вы утверждать, что японское фигурное катание клином сходится на одном Ханю?

- Я просто приведу пример. Когда Юдзуру прилетает в Россию на этап Гран-при, по моим данным, около пяти тысяч японских фанатов прилетают следом за ним из Японии. Хотя мне говорили, что это даже несколько заниженная цифра. Эти люди бронируют отели, покупают билеты, нанимают за свои деньги переводчиков на почасовую оплату… Никакой другой японский спортсмен такой коммерческой популярностью у болельщиков не пользуется и никогда не пользовался. Даже Мао Асада. Это, собственно, и есть ответ на вопрос, который вы мне сейчас задали. Поэтому очень желаю Юдзуру Ханю здоровья и процветания. На это молятся все шоу-менеджеры миры. На Ханю и на Японию.

Translated shortly: he thinks figure skating in Japan might get less popular, so he want Yuzuru Hanyu to stay in the sport as long as possible. When Yuzu get Rostelecom Cup GP, around 5000 Japanese (sic) fans come after him - though that figure might be even bigger. They book hotels, buy tickets, hire interpreters... No other Japanese athlete has and has ever had the same commercial popularity with fans. Not even Mao Asada. That’s why he wants Yuzu to stay healthy and prospering. He’s worshipped by all show managers of the world, him and Japan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 5:45 PM, ICeleste said:

Live interview with Javi Fernandez. Streamed by IG user @ yuzuuzu. Translated from Spanish

- Fan questions about Yuzuru:

- Q: Can you tell us an anecdote with Yuzuru and something related to Spain and him?

J: The only time he's been here in Spain was during GPF Barcelona and I know he had a good experience then. Well, he should tell you about that himself, haha.

But I will tell you an anecdote: One time I went to practice -I don't remember which championship it was- and I forgot my training pants. And Yuzu told me that-.... -since I couldn't show up to compete in jeans!-, he lent me one of his pair of training pants. Not everybody does this! That's why I'm saying it.

- Question from a fan: Have you ever had a problem/quarrel with Yuzuru? Maybe because of envy? 

J: No, no, never. You mean, because one of us had lost and the other had won? Never.

Although sometimes.... (TN: he told these as funny/lighthearted memories, he kept smiling  fondly while speaking). While we were training for an important competition and well, one of us was angry and the other one was a little angry too...... *pause*... I mean, we never yelled at each other!!! (*Javi and the audience laugh*). It was actually like, "I don't wanna see! Don't look at me! Today is not my day!" *laughs*. That's normal in training, it happened between the two of us, between me and other people, and between him and other people as well. But yeah, no. it's just those moments when we thought "I want to skate well! Everybody else is skating well except me!" *imitates angry face* *laughs*

- Q: What do you think about the recent rule changes? You don't have to answer this...

- J: Don't worry, I won't get myself in trouble! *laughs*. Because I, too, also tell them (TN: ISU?) these things *smug face*

"There are good things and things that are disastrous right now. There are things that they try to solve, and stuff that hasn't been fixed. I believe the sport is evolving so the rules have to evolve too. I think +5/-5 GOE is a good start, since it make people consider "Is it better to do a good program instead of including very difficult jumps and thus ending up wiping the floor (TN: he means "having a splatfest")? 

One of the things I would change is the age and weight requirements to compete in each category. Because we have seen the arrival of too many 16-year-old boys and girls who win against everybody else, last 2 years in competitions and then they become good for nothing. Also, establishing a minimum weight limit, at this point is... (TN: I can't hear this part) that's it, I won't say anything else for now! *laughs*"

Other things:

- Javi wishes to become a coach someday and plans to bring his ice show to Latin America

- Javi said he never had any established psychological training before competitions.

- Javi has a great friendship with Plushenko. He told a really cute anecdote about how Plush saw him training at summer camp, when he was a kid. Plush always reminds him that he used to think Javi was a disaster back then ("he should find another hobby!"). Plush also tells him now that he would've never imagined back then that Javi would become such a good and accomplished skater

- He says his favorite thing about skating has always been the Interpretation (and "putting himself in another person/a character's shoes")

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

Yuzuru really attracts photographers :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

.https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/841820

AVTYg7WA-106.jpeg

(Not the coach) Nagakubo-san's article is always really good.  I wanted to translate all, but just an excerpt now. Sorry, very rough translation.

"GPファイナルはカメラマン冥利に尽きる大会だった。ジュニア男子・佐藤駿の歓喜、アリョーナ・コストルナヤの“けしからん”美しさ、そして彼がいた。

彼の存在は新聞社系のカメラマンをおしゃべりにした。フリーだけで1000カット以上もシャッターを切って、実際に紙面に掲載されるのは写真部デスクやら、編集のえらい人やらのフィルターをくぐり抜けた1枚だけ。

そうした不満の解消に「オレの撮った羽生結弦」発表の場を自社のHPに求め、リンク先を明記した上でSNSで発信するカメラマンが増えた。"

The GP final was a competition that photographers were blessed.  The delight of the junior skater, Shun Sato.  The inexcusable beauty of Alena Kostornaya, and there he was.

His presence made newspaper photographers talkative. Only for a free program, shooting more than 1000 cuts, and only one shot is released on the paper after passed through the filters of the photo department desk and higher-ups in editing section.

To eliminate such dissatisfaction, increased number of photographers now utilize their company’s website for releasing “Yuzuru Hanyu photos taken by me” via SNS by specifying the link destination.

3 hours ago, Shimmering said:

TAT's commentary on Yuzu's FS.

TAT commented only on the FS. In SP it was Yagudin + somebody else. I expected him to critisize Yuzu, but he only said that Yuzu was great and exceptional - stuff he said before, so I won't bring it here (though thank him for it).

I should start by saying that TAT's commentary confirmed what I had suspected before - Yuzu holds a special place in her heart. I think for her Yuzu ticks all the boxes in her image of an ideal figure skater: talented and works hard, keeps evolving, owns his programs and has a good head on his shoulders, has the technique and artistry, is a fighter and regularly delivers. She regularly says all of these things about him. Now this season, I noted, he's been upgraded from Hanyu to Yuzuru (e.g.Nathan is still Chen to her), and she calls him 'milyi' - it's a term of endearment used for really close and important people - relatives, friends, romantic partners - and for TAT here it's obviously tinged with admiration.

So she starts out by calling him Yuzuru and 'milyi' - 'Milyi, come on, give us your good skate!' She then keeps quiet during the skate (she usually does and encourages others to do the same). Only after each jump she said succintly '4Lz - done!', and after 4TEu3F she said 'Done' with the intonation of 'Ok, that was not the best quality, but he landed it, so fight me on this'. Then after the skate Yuzu was 'milyi' again, and she was immediately off about how in spite of all the medals and titles he keeps competing and evolving, and now doing 5 quads and doing jumps nobody else does, like 3A3A and 4TEu3F, and he will land them all - if not today, then tomorrow. Then during the repeated footage she admired that he doesn't look tense anywhere - his body breathes, his arms breathe, his fingers too. It's like he skates in a relaxed manner, and then - WHAM! - a jump like an explosion, and it is correct, because a jump should be an explosion. She then said that Yuzu writes (I wonder where) how he conserves and recharges energy during his skate and she wishes other skaters (Russians, I think) would read and use this (but presumably they won't. TAT doesn't have a very high opinion of our male single skaters). In the kiss-and-cry she then wondered how he can already be breathing through the nose. She said 'I love Chen, I adore Chen and I see how he is evolving, but this one here? He is a gift from God'. And she hopes to live to see Yuzu at the next Olympics. When the scores came up, she said critically that Yuzu had scored higher ('And much higher' the other commentator said) but didn't offer any other opinion. But then, she rarely comments on the score, unless it's a Russian athlete. Then she started to speak about how Yuzu is planning to increase his technical difficulty. I assume she was talking about 4A, but the recording finished there, and I didn't watch anybody else.

After that commentary I went and checked to find out that Chen did 4TEu3S at GPF. 4tEu3F not stable enough, so decided not to run the risk? (I'm trying very hard here not to think of Raf worse than I already do and accept that as a much more plausible reason than that he made Nathan go for 4TEu3F so that Yuzu wouldn't be first to land it. I have this unshakeable feeling that for Raf it is not simply a matter of rivalry between his favourite student and somebody else, but something personal which doesn't even have much to do with Nathan. But I could be biased, of course)