Miscellaneous Translations Compilation Thread

yuzuangel

7 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Translation from the page. Omitted his competitive story because we all know it by now :P

Reveal hidden contents

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sweetwater said:

By the way, Yomiuri uploaded another video of Wakasugi san talking about a photo of Yuzu on their Online Yuzuru Hanyu Exhibition site yesterday.

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/topics/20200615-OYT8T50061/

You can watch it by clicking on the video displayed under this title
”(2)GPファイナル フリー(2019年12月7日、イタリア)”

Rough Translation of his comment

• 2 weeks later...

19 hours ago, Yukok said:

The sentence is ....

Many fireworks are cancelled because of Corona. However this is held by private sponcer. It's too wonderful to be held by individual. Thank you for the sponsor and Japanese Tohoku wireworks association. This firework is performed with the music SEIMEI Yuzuru Hanyu used at the Olinpics.

The nalation at the beginning is ...

The duram beats  to the sky , the Japanese flute which respond them let all souls calm down . Then new world gonna be opened when it stomps  the ground.

It's as if wind blew through the darkness.

My English isn't so good,so this is so rough but I hope it's helpful😄

19 hours ago, sweetwater said:

On July 24, many Hanabi factories in Japan set off fireworks somewhere near their home, without gathering many people to maintain social distancing, some even without notifying exactly when and where in advance. This year, they are doing this instead of taking part in big Hanabi festivals and competitions that attract many people to encourage everyone struggling in this situation under COVID-19, and also to show the fruits of their hard work since last summer. This Hanabi is a work of Kita Nihon Hanabi based in Daisen, Akita, where Hanabi factories from the whole country gather to compete for the technique and artistry once a year. In this contest, you will find at least one or two Hanabi inspired by figure skating every year. I believe some of them like figure skating a lot because, in this competition, they are judged by how they effectively set off their Hanabi in tune with the music. This is one of such Hanabi inspired by SEIMEI.

Before SEIMEI, the MC introduced the Hanabi roughly like this:

The sound of Japanese drum that hits the sky
The dragon flute that responds to each beat of the drum calms the raging spirits
The stomp on the earth opens a new era
Like a blast of wind run through gruesome darkness.
"SEIMEI, a blast of wind run through the darkness" (T/n: the title of the Hanabi)

After SEIMEI, the MC introduced the Hanabi factory and thanked the person who privately sponsored this Hanabi. The factory set off the thank-you Hanabi from the sponsor's friends, and then the MC closed the Hanabi display wishing they would be able to see each other again under the sky full of Hanabi.

ETA: Oh, @Yukok has already translated the introduction. Sorry for double post!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SuzyQ said:

Quick translation of the article by Mr. Tsutomu Takasu. (Not so quick actually :animal0070: )

https://real-sports.jp/page/articles/422376074614145985

Yuzuru Hanyu continues to take on challenges in the harsh world he has created himself.  Photographer Tsutomu Takasu gives us a glimpse of his true face

At the moment an athlete shines, we are thrilled and excited, and moved to tears at times.  The photographer waits for such a moment through the viewfinder to capture them forever.  Since we stand on the same field as the athletes stand and do not miss any of their moves, there are scenes that we can feel.

Yuzuru Hanyu, also known as the “absolute champion” by the media, was however going through a tougher time than ever before last season.  How did he look in the eyes of Tsutomu Takasu, a photographer, who has been pursuing many sports scenes including figure skating?  We asked him to tell us the real face of the athlete he saw:

" The harsh world created by Yuzuru Hanyu.  A perpetual challenger who always aims for the higher level.

When I'm taking photos of sports, what I put most importance on is the facial expressions of the athletes.  To be precise, I’m particular about the position of their eyes.  In that sense, Yuzuru Hanyu is the best subject.  At a press conference, while listening to his rivals talking, he is staring at one point, then nodding with a big smile.  He is always very expressive.  My most favorite thing about him is his murderous eyes.

I've been following his every move, literally from the moment he arrives on the scene to the moment he leaves the rink. I don't know any other athlete like him.  Why do I keep chasing him?  Of course, I have to respond to the needs as it’s my job.  However, even if it’s my job, I am not such a hard-working man that I can keep up with it all the time.  I once thought there might be some other reason.

In writing this article, I was looking for the reasons, and I found a few things that came to mind, so I'd like to share them with you.

I think that the world of figure skating has changed before and after Hanyu, as the framework of two opposing advantages; "highly difficult jumps vs. expressiveness", which was a hot topic about 10 years ago, no longer holds true.  Nowadays, you can't talk about figure skating without quad jumps.  It requires more difficult jumps and more beautiful skating.  It is definitely Hanyu who has created such a world of figure skating.

But the world he wanted to live in was harsh.  The quad jumps hurt his ankles mercilessly.  Still, he would not give up.  He keeps challenging.  The media that want to hype up might call him the absolute champion, but I don't see it that way.  He is a man who is always aiming for even higher levels and is willing to take risks in order to reach there.  To put it in a cool way, he's a perpetual challenger, but put simply, he has a ultimate competitive spirit and hates to lose.  He does not care where his interests lie.  Losing in a competition is out of the question. He doesn't even like to lose to himself yesterday.

Last season, he spoke of his wish to "skate without injury through the season".  I guess that's because he has been suffering from injuries over the past years, but it was a bit surprising to me.  Did you blame me if I would say he had matured?  I thought he had chosen to endure for the challenge aiming a new world in the next season.  But after all he is not a man who can control himself inherently.  He didn't get injured, but he couldn't win.  I think the sudden announcement in February that he was going to change his program meant it was the limits of his patience.  I nodded when I heard the news, saying to myself, "I knew it, that's what Yuzuru Hanyu is.”

I think that I can watch him all the time because he's such a competitive guy.

There was another thing I noticed last season.  It was at Skate Canada.  During the practice, he picked up a bottle with a red liquid in it.

“Oh, was it that color last year?  I wonder what it tastes like.  Smoothie type? No, it's not viscous, so maybe it's a sports drink?”

I was really surprised to realize that I was thinking like that while shooting.

Is this the so-called (Hanyu) swamp? "

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Fay said:

Dmitri Solovyev, Ekaterinburg Bobrova’s ex-partner, said the following answering a question about recycling: 

https://russian.rt.com/sport/article/780479-solovyov-figurnoe-katanie-buzova

Reveal hidden contents

Q: Philippe Candeloro used the theme of Godfather several years in a row. The two time Olympic Champion Yuzuru Hanyu skated the same concert (sic!) by Chopin for four seasons and he recycled Seimei three times. 
A: I wouldn’t compare Yuzuru with anyone. His sense of movements carries one away so much that I myself am ready to watch him forever whatever he skates. That’s what singles him out and makes him different from those who get out on the ice just to do a job: your arm is here, your head is there... 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:12 PM, sweetwater said:

Because I found some Yuzu's comments I loved, I searched the sources of these quotes. I could find half of the sources in the Documentaries and Miscellaneous Media (2006-2019) thread made by @kaeryth, so I believe many people have seen them with different subtitles or translations sometime somewhere. However, many of the quotes are linked with old videos that are fun to revisit, so let me share here.
I numbered the quotes in order of appearance. The descriptions of some of the sources are very long as they include transcriptions and translations, so I am going to put them in the spoilers.

1. “I would face the process of realizing my dream seriously”

Original: “その夢までの期間をすごい大事にしたいなと思っています”

10. "Because it is the stage of dreams, the reality of getting there, the path of getting there, I think I should take it seriously step by step."

Original: “まあ夢の舞台だからこそ、本当に…まあそれまでの現実というか、それまでの道のりを、本当に一つ一つ大事にしていきたいなと思っています。”

Reveal hidden contents

2. ”Because I believe what I move these issues beyond the past, the scene ahead is absolutely beautiful. So I am happy right now. In fact, the training is very hard, although I think the present situation is very strict, but I will happily face it and continue to work hard.”

Original: “だからそれをちゃんと乗り越えられた時にある先の景色っていうのは絶対いいはずだと僕は信じているからこそ、楽しいなって思えるし、まあ実際練習はしんどいんですけど、ものすごくきつい状況に立たされてると思いますけど、でもそれを楽しんでいけるくらい頑張っていきたいなと思ってます。”

Reveal hidden contents

3. “For the sake of this dream, we must go through innumerable trials and hardships.”

Original: “実現するために苦労がたくさん必要だなって思えるようなものでした。”

Reveal hidden contents

4.  “I feel I have been fearless. In any case, if I can overcome that, what else I can't?”

Original: “まあ、あんまり怖いものはなくなったかなと思います。どんな環境においても、あれを乗り越えたから「ま、どうにでもなるんじゃねえ?」って。”

Reveal hidden contents

5. "I love pressure. I love on the edge of cliff. A-ho."

Original: “プレッシャー大好き、崖っぷち大好き、ヤッホーイ。”

Reveal hidden contents

6. "I believe that by focusing on what I should do, the road ahead can be opened up naturally."

Original: “自分がすべきことを集中してやっていけば、自ずと道は開かれてくると信じているので。”

Reveal hidden contents

7. “In order for tomorrow's self to standing tall back to who you are today, I 'm gonna take care of every single day.”

Original: “明日の自分が今の自分を見たら胸張っていられるように、そんな今を過ごし続けたいなという風に思ってます。

Reveal hidden contents

8.   "There is no such thing as night without a dawn," "I've been waiting for the dawn to come"

Original: “それがあるから絶対幸せが来るんだって” ”明けない夜はない

Reveal hidden contents

9.  "Be clear on your steps, see what can you achieve right now"

Original: 自分の足元をしっかりと見て、で今自分が何を出来るのか

According to some blogs, it is an excerpt from an interview given to Fuji after GPF2014 and aired sometime before Nationals that year, but I could not find the exact source.

11. "It feels like you have to push yourself again and again in any case"

Original: Could not catch what he said since the music was too loud.

• 1 month later...

I thought about translating Notte Stellata lyrics but my Italian is "in infancy" and my English, faulty.

Fortunately there's already one available, and it seems to exist in other languages too.

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/notte-stellata-swan-starry-night-swan.html

I knew the music had been proposed to him by Tatiana Tarasova (also known as TAT), but I didn't know the choreograph : it's David Wilson.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Umebachi said:

A recent interview with Nomura Mansai on the planned layout for the opening ceremony for Tokyo 2020 Olympics.  He speaks about his vision of returning to the origin of the Olympic spirit - away from commercialization and refocusing on the athletes.  He also speaks about simplicity and frugality. 

There is a section where Mansai speaks about his experience working with Hanyu-senshu on Seimei.   Specifically he makes reference to their shared senssibilities toward the creative process.  I have extracted the interesting paragraph that throws new insights on the way they shared that process (with my quick translation below). 

…あれだけ広い空間を一人で埋めないといけない。天地人という垂直軸と水平軸もあり、宇宙に向かう気持ち、氷という地面もあり、観客という人への意識もある。ジャンプするということは天への意識だ。そんな話をした。フィギュアスケートには職人的な技術力も必要だが、芸術性もある。単に回っていればいい、跳んでいればいいではない。アドバイスしたらすぐ変わった。元々その意識を持っていたから、僕の言ったことが響いた。そういう意味では羽生選手と僕は共通する。意識が近かった。

(In reference to single Figure Skating) there is a need to fill that enormous expanse of space (the rink) on one's own. (This space) is composed of the vertical axis and the horizontal axis called "Ten-Chi-Jin" (Heaven-Earth-Human) and comprises a feeling of opening towards the cosmic universe (heaven); there is also this "earth" called ice; and the consciousness of "humanity" in the form of the spectators.  To jump is to reach toward the heaven... We talked about such things.  Figure skating requires a very high (craftsman-like) level of technicality, but it also has to have artistry: it is not simply about turning or simply about jumping.  He (Hanyu) was able to absorb and incorporate these changes as soon as I gave advice.  Since he was already highly attuned to these sensibilities, my words immediately resonated /reverberated within him. In that sense, Hanyu and I have a common understanding. We are very close in our (artistic) sensibiltiies. 

PS  Mansai uses words that evoke musical notes and beating of the drum.  I tried to capture some of that feeling in the translation.  

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/d1719d2e35a1b17cca503fd5705429db362a9715

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

I found this great article about state of Japanese-English translation using Machine Learning and AI.  I totally agree with the author:  "As a translator of Japanese light novels and manga, I’ve found that many (or even most) sentences in Japanese need to be completely reimagined from scratch. Scrap word-order, ignore dictionary definitions, and add a lot of context that tends to be only implicit in Japanese but is grammatically necessary for English—and that’s just the beginning."

I also find that I have to rewrite the sentence / paragraph from scratch when translating Yuzu related articles/videos from Japanese to English.  Otherwise we lose the nuance and at times the entire meaning of that expression. 

https://unseenjapan.com/will-ai-technology-ever-translate-japanese-accurately/