Our Server

yuzuangel

Hi. It seems like I'm a bit too late, but can I add my experience regarding the slowness of the site?
During SP, I was visiting this site via Safari and my experience was mostly the same with what LeadenMyr and Neenah said on the previous page. During FS and after that, on the other hand, it wasn't so laggy on Safari but was significantly slow when accessed via Chrome, which I usually use to visit this site on another laptop. Sometime during this weekend, my Chrome was updated and I saw many people on Twitter complaining that Twitter became very slow after the latest Chrome update, so I accessed Twitter via Chrome and found out that I was one of them. So I suspect that in some cases, the slowness of the site was caused by the browser, not the site itself.
Now I'm using Firefox and have no problem navigating this site.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for posting your experiences. It was integral in helping us decide what to do next about our server :tumblr_mdpjktkDxp1qdlkyg:

The pro-rated cost (since we already spent a couple months on the lower plan) to upgrade to the fastest VPS server plan for the next 21 months was $386.79 USD. Including a LiteSpeed license was an additional $283.65 USD. So we paid a total of $670.44 for the upgrade and hope that it will be fast enough :fingerscrossed: (it was the exact plan we had last season, i.e. during the Olympics). 

18 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Hi all! Now that the second competition of the season is over, does anyone have any reports of the site being slow, hard to load/post, or unavailable? I haven't seen anything so far but I might have missed something :) Thank you!

contrary to ACI, this time I had no issue, all pages loaded fast and I could post, no Planet being offline and making me panic:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

(well, sometimes on mobile after a while spent typing super-long posts it gets stuck and I have to open a new page, but that's me being a snail and using way too many emojis + my phone being...well, a mess:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp: but Planet works fine on phone most of the time anyway:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:)

:thanks:

19 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Hi all! Now that the second competition of the season is over, does anyone have any reports of the site being slow, hard to load/post, or unavailable? I haven't seen anything so far but I might have missed something :) Thank you!

Not at all, I was on mobile and computer and both worked fine for me at all times! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

On 11/6/2018 at 12:17 PM, turquoiseblue said:

Yes, everything worked fine! :1497158260_5GOE::1497158260_5GOE: Thank you so much!!! :snpeace:

On 11/6/2018 at 11:48 AM, ralucutzagy said:

Everything worked smooth for me, too. No lagging or errors! Thank you! :8232307:

On 11/6/2018 at 11:34 AM, LeadenMyr said:

Not at all, I was on mobile and computer and both worked fine for me at all times! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

On 11/6/2018 at 10:29 AM, LadyLou said:

contrary to ACI, this time I had no issue, all pages loaded fast and I could post, no Planet being offline and making me panic:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

(well, sometimes on mobile after a while spent typing super-long posts it gets stuck and I have to open a new page, but that's me being a snail and using way too many emojis + my phone being...well, a mess:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp: but Planet works fine on phone most of the time anyway:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:)

:thanks:

great, i'm glad to hear!! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

Sorry for the downtime last night! :tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp: Apparently it might have been because our database is getting pretty big (it's now >65% of our available disk space) so when I tried to query from it it crashed the DB. We need to do some forum upgrades so we might have some few minutes of downtime in the next few days, depending on the upgrades we need to do -- but I'll post something if we do as long as it's something expected. None of those upgrades will be to get more disk space/faster server though, it'll be more micro-optimizations, because moving the site to another server would be too time-consuming for now. Also, we paid for 2 years of hosting with our current plan, and that expires in June 2020, so I'm not sure if there's a way to move before then. We'll revisit all of this and do some more research during the off season probably! :20111123180456ba6:

Thank you for your support!~

yuzuangel

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone!

It's that time again (has it already been two years?!), and we need to renew our server. Last time, we went with the second-to-best VPS plan and members found it too slow. So we upgraded to the best VPS plan with Litespeed (an add-on for speed) and it was around $1800 total for two years. This time, we'll try with the best plan without Litespeed and add it if we need it. We were also able to negotiate a discount off their sticker price, so the total cost will come to $1200 for two years. And we are able to pay for it using our donations, so thank you so much :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp: 

Again, let me know if the site appears slow or hard to use in any way! If we need to make things faster, we will look into it!

Best,

yuzuangel