Team China

I was thinking that Boyang’s FP was “The Planet,” but actually it was more like a “Star Wars” program, is that correct? I’m not a huge SW fan, so I don’t know much about the series especially after the fourth movie, but Boyang is probably portraying Luke Skywalker…?

When I heard Darth Vader breathing I thought, “What!? Lori, what are you doing?” but as a Star Wars program, the way the music edited make sense, am I right?

I’m full of question marks, but I love Boyang anyway.

I love Han Yan’s FS too. It looks like an ideal vehicle to show off his skating skills.

Zijun’s FP is very beautiful:tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:  When she is on and has more speed it would look impressive.

I’ll see other skaters' programs later…

Star Wars program!

Boyang Star Wars program!

A day later and I am still bouncing around with excitement. I am a huuuuuge SW junkie, my biggest regret is never having seen Satoko's program in real life. This will be terrific!!! He should get an Olympic medal simply because of the choice of 🎶. SW & John Williams for da win!!!!

27 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

if i was skating to star wars music, i would try to make a piece of music that goes well with the storytelling

john williams is a MASTER composer and his scores are just epic and so rich

the star wars story with luke skywalker is an epic hero's story, so if i was skating to that, i would try to make the music match the stages of luke's story instead of randomly putting pieces of music together

i would use the music like this:

• quick intro with "across the stars" (padme & anakin theme, where it all began)
  • a new hope music (luke's theme music, played in the last moments of star wars III and at the beginning of star wars IV, showing luke's birth and then his life on tatooine)
  • cantina (luke setting out on his journey, meeting his friends han solo, etc.)
  • imperial march (luke encountering the emperor's dark forces for the first time, meeting darth vader: include some darth vader breathing here)
  • a brief pause then segue into the music played when darth vader struck down obi-wan, a turning point for luke who just lost his mentor
  • then music from luke finding yoda on dagobah and then starting new training
  • quick return of darth vader music (where luke loses his hand + vader's "i am your father" + luke's "NOOOOOOO")
  • then music from "return of the jedi" (luke's return to tatooine and his friends)
  • finally the confrontation with vader + the emperor
  • and end the piece with the "ewok victory celebration" music + the music that ends the original star wars trilogy (the music that plays when all the Force spirits watch the celebrations)

sorry for the rant, my inner star wars fan is talking :laughing:

Hahaha I love this, he'd be very busy with all those music cuts though hahaha. I guess they wanted to go with more ~sophistication~ by incorporating Holst into it but I'm sighing at how they're not using the sweeping iconic epics instead of...cantina......... ....... ugh. anyway. maybe he'll sell it : / 

1 hour ago, sublimeskating said:

(compared with how smoothly the seimei music flows from the mix of 7 different songs that i couldn't even tell they were from 7 different songs pieced together until i read that interview!).  seriously the person who did the music cuts for boyang's SP + FS needs to get a pay cut or something because the music editing is honestly pretty bad.  it's like random pieces of music all chopped up and put together without any flow, rhythm, or continuity!

I think it's also partly due to how well someone knows the music. Did you know the SEIMEI music before Yuzu skated to it? I am

willing to bet very, very few people here did. I certainly didn't, and the music cuts sound brilliant to me.

But, I did have a problem with Hope and Legacy. In my opinion it is a good example of extremely bad editing of two very different music pieces. But I was already thoroughly familiar with those two pieces. I just cannot feel them as a different piece and the cuts are jarring as heck! 

I haven't actually seen Boyang's Star Wars program as I have this thing about saving new programs for the GP series, but cannot wait to hear it. Might be very awkward indeed. But at this point I am happy enough that SW will be present at the Olympics! ;-)